Here is an easy Instant Pot black eyed peas and ham recipe as well as how to make it in a crockpot too. Using dry black eyed peas, this recipe is great to have on hand after the holidays when you have a lot of leftover ham!
Ok we are back with a crockpot and Instant Pot black eyed peas and ham recipe! No matter what method you use this comes out hearty and is really cheap to make too. The perfect leftover ham recipe ever I tell you! We are going to focus on Instant Pot black eyed peas today but will share other methods of cooking as well. If you have a multi cooker pressure cooker at home let us know which one of our 101+ Instant Pot recipes are your favorite ones once you give a few a try. (originally published 5/18)
We started using dry beans in our pressure cooker first when we made the most amazing no soak Instant Pot baked beans. Then went on to make pressure cooker bean soup. Now we just can’t stop cooking from scratch because it’s so easy!
Black eyed peas and ham is absolutely perfect after the holidays because we tend to have leftover ham. There are only so many sandwiches one can take. 😉
You can use just the ham hock too if that is all you have. It will lend to a lot of flavor but it is nice to have some diced ham inside too.
I find you can make it two ways, as a kind of black eyed peas soup and a thicker version where it is more like a baked beans consistency with ham in it. Either way it’s super flavorful and homemade in every way.
This Instant Pot black eyed peas recipe below is thicker but you can thin either one out with just some broth or water.
We are a sucker for soups year round, and especially when it is chilly outside. Of course you can make black eyed peas and ham on the stovetop but ever since I bought my Instant Pot I just don’t see the need for that when you can get beans and such tender in 30-60 minutes flat without soaking at all overnight.
Follow our Crockpot black eyed peas recipe here too
- Add 6 cups of water to your crockpot (can substitute vegetable or chicken broth instead for a richer flavor)
- Rinse your 1 lb. of dry black eyed peas under water and add to your slow cooker
- Put ham hock in the middle (or 8 oz. diced ham)
- Sprinkle diced onion into pot (1 onion)
- Add 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1/2 tsp salt (optional), 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and 1 tsp cumin
- Stir spices into water
- Set on low for 6-8 hours or until peas are tender
Instant Pot black eyed peas and ham directions below and a video showing you how to make this in your pressure cooker too:
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas and Ham
- All ingredients to pressure cooker. Close lid and steam valve.
- Set Instant Pot to pressure, high, for 30 minutes.
- Do a natural release for 10 minutes, release steam and enjoy!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉