This easy Instant Pot potato corn chowder recipe is amazing!! It only takes 15 minutes to make and is the perfect creamy corn soup to eat all year long. Served by itself for dinner or with a side of rolls it surely will be your new favorite pressure cooker soup. Your kids will think it’s a winner too!
OH MY Goodness is this Instant Pot potato corn chowder amazing! I have been experimenting with new appliance of mine since I got it just before Christmas and it has changed my world! It’s one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes. (originally published 2/17, affiliate links present)
We eat together more often now because everything cooks SO much faster.
I feel like we eat a bit healthier too because I can cook with fresh veggies and it takes no time at all. We’ve made soups, chili, popcorn, and now this chowder in it and I think this is
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
You can use frozen kernels too and I have when fresh doesn’t look great at the store or I’m just trying to do it real quick.
From start to finish in the pot it takes about 15 minutes pressure cooking cook time. Adding in the prep you’re looking at a quick 25 minutes from start to finish.
Just enough time to throw some rolls in the oven and everything is done at once! It’s so good!
If you’ve been to San Francisco and had the Boudin clam chowder there this reminds me of that kind of soup.
Tip: I’d highly recommend fresh vs. frozen corn but if that’s all you have give it a go.
- It is perfect as is but I usually throw a loaf of garlic bread in the oven once I put everything in my Instant Pot and it is all done right around the same time.
I’ve since made this easy Instant Pot clam chowder recipe and between these two I’m set for a few great nights of comfort food at it’s finest. On high pressure with a quick release it’s SUPER fast and done in 30 minutes.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot this is the one I have and am absolutely obsessed with.
Instant Pot corn chowder
- Electric pressure cooker
- if you have an Instant Pot I HIGHLY suggest getting this non stick pot
- Red potatoes
- I have used russet too if that’s all I have
- diced small with skin on is my preference
- Corn (right off the cob is best)
- Vegetable or chicken broth (way better than using water)
- Cheddar cheese
- Half and half or heavy cream
- Corn starch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bacon – bits of crispy bacon crumbled on the top takes it over the top!
What are the best potatoes for chowder?
I like red potatoes for recipes such as this one. Yukon Gold are probably the second best. You really want one that won’t break apart and mess with the thickness of your soup. I have used russet as well, depends on what I have.
It is a great comfort food that can be adjusted to your liking, but just as is it tastes amazing too.
- This whole process is really easy and I love that I can use fresh produce to create it.
- I also love that you could easily add in bits of leftover ham, bacon, or diced celery inside as well if you desired.
After Easter and Christmas I make this swap. Instead of bacon I just dice up what ham I have left over the day or two after the holidays and it turns out amazing!
Of course you can make it year round with store bought diced ham but it’s a must then.
Potato corn chowder
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add butter until melted.
- Add diced onions and cook until softened. Turn pot off now to avoid burn notice.
- Pour in broth, diced potatoes and corn kernels now. Season with salt and pepper.
- Close the lid and steam valve.
- Set to high pressure for 10 minutes.
I know, it’s done super duper fast right?
- I usually allow it to naturally release steam for just 1 minute to avoid any spraying, then quick release.
- Whisk together in a small bowl your cornstarch and some hot liquid from pot.
- Set pressure cooker to saute, add cornstarch slurry and stir in with half and half and shredded cheese.
- Allow to thicken and serve!!
It will come out creamy and delicious. Of course you can skip the cornstarch if you wanted but I like it thick. Flour can be used instead to make the roux.
Instant Pot potato corn chowder
- Homemade Instant Pot chicken noodle soup
- Pressure cooker cabbage soup
- This Instant Pot split pea soup recipe is homemade!
- Instant Pot pinto bean soup
- And Instant Pot corn is always a killer side dish
If you only have a slow cooker here is crockpot corn chowder you can make at home too. 😉
What do you eat corn chowder with?
Corn bread is a great pairing, or a nice fresh green salad works.
- A simple semi homemade pull apart bread is probably our favorite side dish.
- For dessert a simple apple crisp w/ ice cream is yummy for dessert.
Can you freeze potato corn chowder?
Yes!! We rarely have any leftovers but if you do just: cool soup completely, then add to a freezer safe container and freeze for 1-2 months.
To thaw place containers in the refrigerator overnight or until thawed completely on your countertop. Reheat in pot on the stovetop or in the microwave. Heat in 30 second increments.
- You can add a bit of half and half and stir thin it out as you reheat.
- Sprinkle top with some shredded cheese and/or bacon bits and serve!
I have used this recipe and added leftover ham to it too! This one was made in my Ninja Foodi and turned out amazingly well. I hate wasting food and the meat made it an even heartier soup.
Now for the printable instructions so you can enjoy this at home too this week.
Nutritional information is calculated by the recipe card and is available below as well.
- Let us know what you think below in the comments once you make it for your family!
My family loves this one. It was one of the first pressure cooker soups we made but still is their favorite even today. There is a printable recipe card below with nutritional information included as well.
Of course we love “seeing you” so please come back time and time again to get instructions.
Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder
- 6 red potatoes diced
- 4 ears corn (kernels removed from cob, about 2 cups, can use frozen or canned)
- 1/4 onion diced
- 3 c vegetable broth can use water but this is better
- 3/4 c cheddar cheese
- 3 c half and half
- 2 tbsp corn starch + 2-3 tbsp water, a bit more cornstarch depending on how thick you want it
- 3 tbsp butter
- Pinch of salt
- Dice all your veggies.
- Put Instant Pot on saute and add butter until melted.
- Add diced onions and cook until soft.
- Add vegetable broth, diced potatoes, and corn removed from the cob.
- Can add pinch of salt now. Close lid and close steam valve. Set to pressure high for 10 minutes.
- When done do a quick release, carefully lift lid when steam is gone.
- Whisk together a bit of water and cornstarch into a small cup until smooth.
- Push saute on pressure cooker to allow mixture to boil. Add cornstarch mixture to pot and stir.
- Add half and half and cheese slowly, stir and serve when it has thickened a bit.
- Top with crispy bacon pieces to take it over the top!