This easy Instant Pot clam chowder soup recipe is packed with bacon and potatoes! One of the best pressure cooker soups I’ve made yet in just 10 minutes and it tastes just like Boudin Bakery’s in San Francisco! Creamy and delicious dinner that my kids rave about and there are never leftovers.
We love clam chowder!! It’s even my kids’ favorite meal and we’ve ordered it many places though I had never made it in my pressure cooker until now!! I’ve been tinkering with new Instant Pot recipes ever since I got this fancy appliance and decided to come up with an easy Instant Pot clam chowder recipe last week. It turned just as good as the one I love at Boudin Bakery inside that yummy sourdough bread bowl they serve it in! (originally published 10/17)
I like it thick so it took me some time to get just the right consistency as well as keep all the flavor in the clams I added, but in the end it was absolutely delicious!
This is what our easy Instant Pot clam chowder looked like, so creamy and thick!
Of course you can add or as little as you want, load up the veggies or eliminate those if you wish.
I added bacon but of course you could leave that out if you’d rather. I also like a lot of potatoes in my clam chowder soup and you can adjust that amount as well. As is I promise you it will be your favorite easy Instant Pot clam chowder ever!!
This is what you’ll need to make this easy Instant Pot clam chowder soup:
- Clams (I used canned)
- Clam juice (I used jarred)
- Flour (to thicken it up and make a roux)
- Celery (optional but good)
- Bacon (optional)
- Half and Half
This is what it looked like when our easy Instant Pot clam chowder soup was done! I just threw a few frozen rolls in the oven and served those on the side.
Total time including prep and baking rolls was less than 30 minutes and it was a huge hit in our house!!
Looking for other Instant Pot soups?
- Easy Instant Pot minestrone soup
- Instant Pot potato corn chowder
- Healthy Instant Pot Italian wedding soup
Easy Instant Pot Clam Chowder
- 8 oz clam juice
- 10 oz clams with juice
- 3 pcs bacon diced
- 3/4 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery middle, lighter pcs.
- 4 small potatoes skinned and diced
- 1 c water
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 c half and half
- 1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 tbsp granules (optional but adds to flavor)
- 6 tbsp flour
- Put your Instant Pot on saute medium with a little olive oil and cook your bacon until it is not crispy cut cooked. (you can add onions to soften at this time if you like)
- Drain grease and return pot to IP. Turn Instant Pot off.
- Add diced onion (if you haven't already), potatoes, water, garlic, clam juice, white pepper, bouillon cube (crushed) and garlic. Stir.
- Put lid on Instant Pot or pressure cooker and set to manual, pressure, high for 5 minutes (6 minutes if you want your potatoes to be really soft).
- Do a slow release (move steam valve just slightly so steam comes out slowly).
- Take lid off and set to saute medium again.
- Add your half and half, celery and clams, stir.
- Put flour in a bowl and once the soup begins to boil add a few cups of hot soup, just the liquid, and whisk together to create a sort of rue to thicken your soup.
- Pour this mixture back into your Instant Pot and stir.
- Allow soup to bubble for 4-5 minutes, stirring intermittently, thickening as time goes on.
- Turn off and enjoy!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉