Roast with onion soup mix in Crockpot is fantastic. Want to make your beef tender and shredded with just forks? Here are simple instructions to do just that.
Roast with onion soup mix in Crockpot is packed with flavor! Add tender potatoes and carrots with salt and pepper with this soup mixture and WOW. You’ve gotta’ try this easy Crockpot recipe tonight. (affiliate links present)
Slow Cooker Roast
If you want to cook a really hearty meal that doesn’t cost a lot, but reminds you of your childhood this is it!! With tons of flavor you can now cook a roast all day on it’s own while you’re at work. Then dinner is ready!
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Slow cooker pot roast
- Use a Crock pot large enough for the lid to close securely with meat inside
- Dry Lipton onion soup mix
- Roast and vegetables
- Beef chuck roast is a great cut
- Baby carrots are yummy
- An onion is a must
- Cups of water or beef broth is better
Similar to our Slow Cooker Mississippi pot roast, they both have tons of flavor but this has no heat.
If you want to omit the beer you can just substitute it with more broth instead. The alcohol will be cooked off and the only reason it’s great is because it adds another layer of bold flavors.
If you’re in a rush but want a hearty comfort food meal at the end of the evening this is a great choice. Serve it with mashed potatoes and you’re set!
- Just throw in the beef chuck roast with vegetables, liquid, dry onion soup mix dissolved, cover and cook!
- Cooking time is about all day and it just gets more tender if you have to leave it in an extra hour or more.
What cut of meat is best for Sunday roast?
Chuck roast is probably the best if you ask me, and pretty cheap too. If you want a bit leaner cut, but willing to spend more you could use a sirloin, top rump or fillet.
Rib eye roast is known to be the most popular. With some fat to make it tender and great flavor, it’s a great choice.
It is not a must. Some prefer to have the outside browned with some olive oil in a pan on the stovetop before cooking, but to make prep quicker you can skip that step.
This isn’t necessary either. The steam and hot liquid will get the top and bottom just as tender. You can if you really think you must.
I do suggest using the combination of broth and beer for the most flavor possible. Those and the dry soup mix create the most amazing pot roast recipe.
Time needed: 8 hours.
Crockpot roast with onion soup mix
- Add ingredients
Place roast in slow cooker with potatoes, carrots and onion broken apart around it. In a bowl whisk together your broth and onion soup mix. Pour this on top of the roast, add beer now too.
Sprinkle in pepper and garlic powder. Close your lid.
Secure lid on top and cook on low for 8 hours. When done remove meat and keep warm. It is not recommended to set to high heat for half the amount of time. Low and slow will keep it tender.
- Thicken gravy
Take out 2 c of liquid from your pot and pour it into a saucepan on your stovetop. In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and 4 tbsp of cold water until it’s smooth. (could use can of cream of mushroom soup to thicken alternatively)
Once liquid in pot begins to bubble pour this in and stir. Stir frequently so sauce begins to thicken, it will get thicker as it sits too.
After meat has rested slice and serve with veggies and thick gravy on top.
Roast in Crockpot on high
This is NOT recommended! If you want your thick piece of meat to get as tender as humanly possible keep it on low. Remember the idea of slow cookers, LOW and slow y’all.
Why is Crockpot roast tough?
If you find that your meat is not fork tender and falling apart when you take it out, then it hasn’t cooked long enough. For large cuts of beef you need time for it to really break and get soft.
If you cook it too too long though it might get tough too so follow recommended cook times listed here.
Onion soup mix recipe
If you love this one we have a lot of other recipes we’ve used this packet in like:
- Our quick meatloaf recipe uses it.
- If you don’t want to turn your oven on, try our Ninja Foodi meatloaf instead.
- Crockpot beef stroganoff has a package inside the broth as well.
- Or try our Instant Pot Swedish meatballs for dinner.
Need to know how to cook a frozen roast in a Crockpot? We have that too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Roast with Onion Soup Mix in Crockpot
- Place roast in pot with potatoes, carrots and onion broken apart around it.
- In a bowl whisk together your broth and onion soup mix, then pour into your pot. Pour in your beer now.
- Sprinkle in salt, pepper and garlic powder and close your lid. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- When done remove meat and keep warm. Then take out 2 c of liquid from your pot and pour it into a saucepan on your stovetop. In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and 4 tbsp of cold water until it's smooth. Once liquid in pot begins to bubble pour this in and stir.
- Stir frequently so sauce begins to thicken, it will get thicker as it sits too.
- After meat has rested slice and serve with veggies and thick gravy on top.