How long to cook chuck roast in oven at 350 is here. How to cook a tender pot roast in oven with potatoes and carrots together in one pan. This one is for defrosted but we have frozen roast in oven directions here for you too!
New to cooking and need to know how to cook chuck roast in oven at 350, no problem. It is a rather thick piece of beef so low and slow works quite well. Get ready for the best shredded beef with veggies ever my friends. (affiliate links present)
Chuck Roast in Oven at 350
For the most part, any type of beef roast around 2 pounds will work this same way. I like this type because it shreds nicely once it comes to temperature and the protein itself has a nice deep flavor. Baked in the oven with just some light seasonings, or with some onion gravy in the pot, it’s amazing.
There are tons of ways to serve this up when you’re done too. Usually shredded beef in our house goes inside a tortilla with some salsa, slices of avocado and cheese for taco Tuesdays. If I cook it with potatoes then it is a one pot meal that needs nothing more than just maybe a roll or two.
Oven Baked Chuck Roast
For this one you’re going to need a defrosted or fresh piece. Shredded beef from frozen is possible too but takes almost twice as long to be able to shred easily with two forks. I typically don’t add vegetables in with it because they will become too soft for this length of time.
Now that we have this “hunk” on a first name basis we should talk about timing. If you cook at our lower temperature (which is ideal for the best texture) you’re looking at 45 minutes per pound or so. It needs to reach 145 F at a minimum, closer to 190 F if you want tender pulled beef.
In order to slice it you’d aim for the lower internal meat temperature where the middle will remain a bit pink vs. what you see here. I don’t care about “pretty” slices and we all prefer it when it is able to be cut with a fork, perfect for pulled beef sandwiches. Your choice though, I just want to explain the range and reason you may want to bake less or longer.
Pot Roast in Oven at 350
I choose to make Instant Pot gravy separately typically. Using the drippings from your pan won’t create very much if you just thicken that up and that is it as is.
- Cut of meat chosen was a chuck roast, about 1.5 pounds, if yours is larger just use a bigger pan and refer to the minute to pound timing in recipe card below
- 6 baby potatoes
- An onion sliced
- One carrot peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- You can just sprinkle with salt and pepper, maybe some garlic powder. For bolder flavors coat the outside with a steak dry rub before searing the outside.
- Beef broth is better than just plain water
- Use a casserole dish or Dutch oven
If you wanted to add more vegetables I would recommend; large chunks of celery, shallots would work, bite size sweet potato cubes, parsnips and/or beets would cook similarly at the same rate.
How Long to Cook 2 lb Chuck Roast in Oven
Cook time at this temp. is going to be 45 minutes per pound to get it to a safe 145 F internally. If you want to pull it it’s closer to 60 min. a lb. Basically the longer this cut is cooked the more fall apart it will become (to an extent, you don’t want it to go beyond 190 degrees internally or it will dry out).
- Dry cut of beef by blotting it with paper towels. Brush with olive oil, dry rub or just some salt and a sprinkle of pepper on the outside.
- Heat a frying pan over medium/high heat, add meat and brown on all sides to get a crust on each side.
- This will allow the beef to stay juicier while roasting. Transfer the meat to a baking dish.
- Scrape browned bits off and pour into pot
- Cut the baby potatoes in half, cut the onion into four parts, peel and cut the carrots into large chunks. Fry in a dry frying pan for 3-4 minutes. Transfer the fried vegetables to a baking dish, salt these a little bit. Could add sliced onions and garlic minced on top too.
- Add pan juices (beef stock or broth) into the bottom of your dish with fresh sprigs of thyme and rosemary if desired. Cover the baking pan or Dutch oven with a lid or foil in several layers. Put in preheated oven, at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Approximate baking time for 1.5 lbs. will be about 1 hour and 30 minutes to be very juicy. If you want it to be fork tender, test by inserting and twisting with a fork to see if meat separates from the rest of the chunk, this typically happens once it reaches 190 F internally. (remember when resting the temp will rise another 5-10 degrees)
- If it doesn’t pull away, add another 15 minutes and check again. Larger pieces of meat will take longer.
Always allow meat to rest before slicing. Leave the foil on the top to keep warm and sit for 15 minutes before pulling or slicing and serving. Great served with slow cooker rice and rolls.
Easy Chuck Roast Recipe
We have made this dinner a few other ways you might want to try out too. Slow cooker chuck roast is beyond amazing for sure, simple with gravy. Probably the moistest and tenderest way to cook it by far. We love beef Manhattan too with a rich sauce, shredded and served over garlic bread.
If you like little crispy edges to it I would recommend making our air fryer chuck roast this way. The best way if you want it sliced.
How do you reheat a chuck roast
So if you have leftovers, they reheat quite nicely the next day. Remember to let it cool and store in a freezer bag wrapped tightly so it stays moist in your fridge overnight. When you are ready to enjoy it again you could slice or chop up and use in one of our leftover brisket recipes, works just the same.
If you just want to eat it as is take it out and leave on the counter for about 30 minutes. Then put on a plate with some gravy over the top, ideally, and heat in microwave for about 1 minutes until warmed. If you don’t have any sauce left over at least spoon a bit of broth over the top so it gets tender and doesn’t dry out.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
How Long to Cook Chuck Roast in Oven at 350
- 1 casserole dish oven safe, or dutch oven
- Rinse and dry the beef, blotting it with paper towels. Brush with olive oil, dry rub or just some salt and a sprinkle of pepper on the outside.
- Heat a frying pan over medium/high heat, add meat and brown on all sides to get a crust on each side. This will allow the beef to stay juicier while roasting. Transfer the meat to a baking dish.
- Cut the baby potatoes in half, cut the onion into four parts, peel and cut the carrots into large chunks. Fry in a dry frying pan for 3-4 minutes. Transfer the fried vegetables to a baking dish, salt these a little bit.
- Pour the broth into the baking dish, add sprigs of thyme and rosemary if desired. Cover the baking dish with a lid or foil in several layers. Put in the oven, preheated to 350F.
- Approximate baking time for 1.5 lbs. will be about 1 hour and 30 minutes to be juicy and become pulled beef, 1 hr. 15 min to slice. If you want it to be fork tender, test by inserting and twisting with a fork to see if meat separates from the rest of the chunk, this typically happens once it reaches 190 F internally. (remember when resting the temp will rise another 5-10 degrees)
- If it doesn't pull away, add another 15 minutes and check again. Larger pieces of meat will take longer. The longer you cook this the more tender it will get (do not allow to get beyond 185 F before resting though or it will become dry)
- Leave the beef under the foil for another 10-15 minutes once removed to rest before slicing.