Here’s an easy pressure cooker shredded beef tacos recipe you can make for dinner tonight! Flavorful tender beef in your Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi has never been easier!
Ok so we’ve been using our Instant Pot more and more recently because it is quite hot outside and there is NO way I am turning on my oven at this point! When it comes to large cuts of meat I’ve found there is just no better way to get it as tender and flavorful than to use my fancy pressure cooker anyway. Last week we cooked a pork roast and this week we were on to a beef roast so we could create some amazing pressure cooker shredded beef tacos filled with lots of toppings! One of our favorite easy Instant Pot recipes. (originally published 7/18, affiliate links present)
If you love having taco Tuesdays I will tell you this pressure cooker shredded beef is pretty amazing.
The tenderest Instant Pot shredded beef soaked in a sauce full of flavor and ready in about an hour and a half.
Just dump it all in, turn it on and get ready when it beeps to have a protein packed meal that all in all is pretty darn healthy if you skip some of the toppings (ok I don’t but you can if you’re watching your calories). 😉
Here’s how you make shredded meat in no time at all. Are you obsessed with pressure cooking all the things too?? 😉
Of course when it comes to tacos you should use the flavors you love. If you are new to making pulled beef in general the spices we used are a great base. If you like spice then add some chili powder or even a squirt of Sriracha would be good.
Another great way to use this tender pressure cooker shredded beef would be to make nachos! Here’s what you need:
- Beef roast
- chuck roast works well for shredding
- Beef broth – could use chicken or vegetable but we’re cooking beef so…….
- Bell pepper and diced onion we like – up to you how you load it up
- This homemade flour tortilla recipe
- Adobo seasoning
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Taco and/or nacho toppings
- Chipotle sauce for top if desired for heat
What is another name for chuck roast?
Some may call it shoulder steak, shoulder pot roast or seven-bone pot roast. Beef chuck arm is another term. It is a pretty inexpensive cut of beef and great for shredding.
- Note – Our beef roast was 2.5 lbs. and 65 minutes when cut in half was perfect to make it shred easily and become tender. If roast is larger the cook time may need to be increased. It will not hurt to open, test, and then close the lid and set to high pressure again if it isn’t fall apart tender yet.
- Another tip for the tenderest beef is to allow the pot to naturally release it’s steam to maintain the juiciness. If you quick release your electric pressure cooker your meat won’t be as tender.
Which beef roast is most tender?
Other than chuck roast people note having the best luck with:
- Rib roasts
- Short loin roasts
- Use this Instant Pot cook times printable for timing
How to serve pressure cooker pulled beef:
Our two go to ways are either serving it inside small tortillas with fixings for beef tacos, or like sliders. You can see above where I just threw some frozen rolls, or you can make this easy roll recipe with coleslaw or macaroni salad!
On top of nachos are great too.
How do you shred beef?
- I like to cook it to the point where 2 forks do the job really. If it isn’t to that point I put the lid back on and give it a bit more time in my Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot.
- Just put two dinner forks with their backs facing each other. Pull the forks in opposite directions breaking up the meat into shards as you pull.
- Throw away any bones or gristle you encounter as you’re breaking the meat apart.
How do you shred meat in a KitchenAid mixer?
I cannot say I have ever done this. For me it is way too much work to get that machine out (and clean it afterwards). Forks do the job just as well but you can see a demonstration here if you want to try it.
If you’d rather make an easy Instant Pot shredded pork recipe this is amazing.
- We have lots of other easy Instant Pot beef recipes here.
- As well as 4 other Instant Pot tacos.
- This Instant Pot beef tips recipe rocks
- Instant Pot shredded chicken is a good one too
How do you freeze shredded beef?
First off I will say we have never had enough left to freeze it, we just put the little amount into the fridge for the next day.
- The best way to freeze beef is in quart sized freezer bags. Just lay them flat like bricks on top of one another if you have more than one. To reheat empty contents into a pan on low/medium heat.
Want to make Crockpot bbq beef too? We have directions for that!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
Pressure Cooker Shredded Beef
- On saute mode, add olive oil, then sear meat on both sides and turn pot off/cancel button.
- Deglaze pot - remove meat, add your cup of beef broth listed above, and use wooden spoon to scrape meat pcs. off of the bottom. (link to how to do this above recipe card) Leave broth in the pot.
- Add all spices and onions and mix together.
- Put meat pcs. back into Instant Pot.
- Close lid, seal steam valve, and set to pressure high for 65 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release.
- Shred beef in pot or remove and shred well, then combine back into sauce and mix so meat is saturated once again with sauce.
- Serve in small flour tortillas topped with salsa, cheese, etc...