Crockpot bbq beef using chuck roast or another cut creates tender shredded beef in your slow cooker. Pile it on buns for sliders, or pulled beef sandwiches.
Ready for some Crockpot bbq beef sliders for a party or fun dinner idea? This. Is. Great! When I find a cut of beef on sale and want to make the tenderest meat possible, I always reach for my slow cooker. It’s just the way to go. Find this and more Crockpot recipes here on The Typical Mom blog, more added each week! (originally published 12/19, affiliate links present)
Occasionally I find a cut of beef on sale and just can’t pass it up. Recently we bought half a cow so we have a lot of beef to use too!
Certain cuts aren’t as easy to use and really need to be slow cooked for the best results. This is one of them if you ask me. Shredded beef is just to die for when mixed with your favorite sauce. Here’s how we make ours.
If you too love slow cooker recipes of all kinds, you’re going to go crazy over this one. First let’s go over a few resources:
- Beef chuck or round roast is typically what we use. I feel is best thrown in my Crock pots and cooked all day long!
I’m not super particular when it comes to the cut I use. What needs to be cooked gets thrown in. I have even used large chunks of pork before similarly, like we did with our slow cooker carnitas.
What kind of meat is chuck roast?
What we call a chuck roast is cut from the shoulder and neck region of the animal. It may be labeled chuck roast, shoulder steak, boneless chuck roast, or chuck shoulder pot roast at the store. It is slightly fattier than a brisket or round.
Chuck has a richer taste but is higher in saturated fats which makes it great for slow cooking really. It’s a great bbq recipe served as sliders.
Crockpot bbq beef recipe
- 3-4 lb. roast
- BBQ sauce of your choice – this is our favorite that is sweet and spicy
- you could use homemade barbecue sauce too
- Dry onion soup mix
- Liquid smoke
- Red wine vinegar
- Beef broth
- Non stick cooking spray for an easier cleanup later
What is chuck steak good for?
This cut can be tough and hard to chew if not cooked properly. It is one of the least expensive cuts of beef. Many people will avoid buying it because of the amount of fat and gristle in it. BUT all of this gives this cut of beef so flavorful if cooked correctly.
- THIS is the way to do it so it comes out nice and tender. An added step I do is before I shred it I try to remove the large chunks of fat. Then after I shred it I remove the rest I see.
If it’s been cooked long enough you should only need 2 forks to pull it apart. If it is tough to do then it hasn’t been in long enough. You will know by the very first pull whether it’s melt in your mouth tender.
Do not attempt to cook this on high. Low and slow is the answer when it comes to thick tough pieces like this. Cover and cook it early in the morning if you have an even larger cut. If it is rather large you can cut it in half before putting it inside your pot.
Crockpot Barbecue Beef
How do you shred beef?
- You can do this once your roast is cooked.
- Hold the roast steady with one hand. Place the beef on your cutting surface and hold it steady with your non-dominant hand. I sometimes just leave it inside my slow cooker and do this.
- Shred off the beef with one fork going with the grain, not against it.
- Continue to do this until there are no large chunks left.
- Remove fat if desired. Smother with sauce for added flavor.
There are a TON of ways to serve this once it is done!
- Serve on small buns as sliders
- Larger buns can be used as a full sandwich meal
- Top white rice with Crockpot shredded beef
- Put it on top of chips for nachos!
How do you freeze shredded beef?
Once it’s finished cooking allow it to cool. Put leftovers into quart-sized freezer bags. Remove air inside and lay them flat as they freeze to make nice “bricks” of frozen beef.
- To reheat it’s best to allow meat to defrost in the fridge, or countertop, before heating.
Looking for other easy slow cooker recipes?
- Crockpot bbq chicken recipe is just as easy but with the other mat!
- here are other Crockpot chicken recipes to try
- My girls love Crockpot chili mac
- Then try a batch of slow cooker Hawaiian chicken
- Tender slow cooker Korean beef is excellent and beef and broccoli too
For a quick meal try Instant Pot French dip sandwiches too!
Slow cooker bbq beef printable recipe below.
Time needed: 7 hours.
Crockpot BBQ Beef
Spray inside of pot with non stick spray. Place piece of beef with fat side up into your pot.
Rub onion soup mix all over the meat, then pour red wine vinegar and liquid smoke on the sides of your meat, followed by broth around the meat.
Close the lid and set on low for 6-8 hours cook time or until it is fork tender and ready to shred right inside the pot.
Shred and remove any fat pieces. Pour bottled or homemade bbq sauce made with ketchup, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce etc. over meat.
Stir so it is nice and coated. Can serve immediately or let it sit on low for 20 more minutes to soak in sauce.
Serve on buns with red cabbage coleslaw on top and a small bowl full of additional sauce on the side. This is great for a large crowd because it is always a hit and quite inexpensive to feed a bunch of people.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Crockpot BBQ Beef
- Spray inside of pot with non stick spray. Place piece of beef with fat side up into your pot.
- Rub onion soup mix all over the meat, then pour red wine vinegar and liquid smoke on the sides of your meat (so you don't wash off the rub), followed by broth around the meat.
- Close the lid and set on low for 6-8 hours or until it is fork tender and ready to shred right inside the pot.
- Shred and remove any fat pieces. Pour bbq sauce over meat and stir so it is nice and coated. Can serve immediately or let it sit on low for 20 more minutes to soak in sauce. Serve on buns.