This Instant Pot BBQ beef recipe comes out so yummy! Super tender roast shredded with tangy barbecue sauce is great as sliders or over rice for dinner!
Have you tried Instant Pot BBQ beef yet??!! It’s great for dinner, potluck dish, and a must have appetizer when throwing a Super Bowl football party. (participant in the amazon program, affiliate links present)
Like I said, I used a round roast. I’ve used chuck roast to make this too if that is what I have on hand. You see we buy half of a cow at the beginning of each year so we have A LOT of beef to use year round.
I often us chuck roast which is inexpensive and falls apart well when cooked at high pressure. It may be labeled as shoulder roast
This time I used a roast that came out super tender, brisket is another great choice but the most expensive option.
Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce consistently tops lists as the best and most popular one. This may be because it’s sweet with a bit of tang as well as being inexpensive.
I know, lucky us. 😉 Love having it handy at home and not having to shop for it in the store ever. If I did I would get the cut that looked best, and was reasonably priced. Yes, I am frugal too.
- I don’t even bother sautéing it at the beginning.
- Just cut into fourths so it gets as tender as possible.
- Sprinkled with some salt and pepper on all sides.
- Then I pressure cook it for an hour with broth and a small amount of sauce.
I have found that is the best way to get the meat tender, and then adding the remainder of the sauce at the end. This way the flavors don’t get muted with the addition of the water or broth in the initial step.
- Yes you can use water instead of beef stock or broth. Difference is of course you won’t get that added flavor.
- If you have it on hand it’s far better than just water I tell you.
- Barbecue sauce of your choice
- Beef broth or water
- Salt and pepper
- of course you can add additional seasonings on the outside of your meat if you like, we stayed simple
Time needed: 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Instant Pot Barbecue Beef Recipe
- Season and cut beef
If using a roast cut it into 4 equal pieces. Smaller pieces will yield more tender pieces quicker. Season each piece on all sides with at least salt and pepper. Chili pepper can be added for heat.
- Add ingredients
Put beef, sliced onions, broth and 1/2 cup of bbq sauce into your pot.
- Pressure cook beef
Close lid and steam vent and set to high pressure for 60 minute cook time, followed by a 10 – 15 minute natural release.
- Drain and shred
When done remove your meat and put it on a cutting board to chop into smaller pieces (or shred with 2 forks). Drain liquid from pot into a strainer to catch onions.
Put cooked onions and shredded beef back into your Instant Pot. Pour barbecue sauce on top and use tongs to toss with sauce until coated well. I added 1.5 cups of sauce but that is up to you.
Serve inside small tortillas, on top of white rice, or as sliders.
If you need a really accurate time to complete this whole thing including the 20 minute time it takes to reach pressure, I’d say it’s 1.5 hours.
Any pressure cooker brand will work too. If you have a Crockpot Express or need a new Ninja Foodi recipe, follow the same directions below.
You could dice your onions if you wanted. Just keep in mind that they really get cooked down in that hour and become almost nothing. If you slice them thick like this you will have something left to add texture.
Most of the reason I add them period is for flavor. When you drain the liquid after the pressure cooking, make sure to use a strainer so you don’t loose these bits.
What can I do with leftover bbq beef?
- If you do have some of this left over after you eat it (we don’t), you could eat it the next day in:
Looking for more easy Instant Pot beef recipes? We have a lot to choose from, here are a few favorites:
Our Instant Pot beef and broccoli is amazing for sure and pretty cheap too.
BBQ Beef Recipe
Probably our favorite way to serve this is inside slider buns. I can usually find great homemade rolls in the bakery section of our grocery store for next to nothing (seen above).
How long does shredded beef last in the fridge?
If you have leftovers make sure to store in airtight containers or freezer bags within an hour of it cooling off to room temp. From there you can safely eat it within 3-4 days of it being in your refrigerator.
Reheat beef in the microwave in 30 second increments stirring in between. Or put into a pan on the stovetop over medium heat stirring constantly until hot.
You can print recipe below and enjoy it very soon.
Instant Pot BBQ Beef
- Cut your roast into 4 equal pieces. Season all sides with salt and pepper and put into your pressure cooker with onions on top.
- Pour broth into your pot with 1/2 c bbq sauce on top of meat.
- Seal lid closed and close steam valve.
- Set to high pressure for 60 minutes followed by a 10 minute natural release.
- Release rest of steam, remove meat on to a cutting board and drain liquid from pot in a strainer.
- Dump onions in strainer back into your pot. Use a sharp knife to cut beef from pot into strips, or use fork to shred apart.
- Put beef back into pot with onions and pour rest of your bbq sauce on top. Use tongs to mix bbq sauce with shredded beef. If you want more sauce, add more. Serve on slider buns or over rice.