Tender slow cooker pork carnitas recipe that is easy and cheap too! Make tacos with it or serve over rice. TONS of flavor, a great dinner.
These slow cooker pork carnitas are out of this world, almost better the next day. 😉 Using steaks, shoulder, or roast cubed, every bite is packed with flavor. Will become one of your favorite Crockpot recipes too. (affiliate links present)
So we bought half a pig this year and we’ve been working thru all the pieces. I first made this in my Instant Pot.
It was so good and popular with my family that I have made it several times beyond that. Now that our “stash” is gone I buy pork when it’s on sale at the store to make it with brown rice.
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
What are the different cuts of pork?
- Pork butt
I have used all of these. Since I cube the meat into bite size pieces it really doesn’t matter what cut it is. Whatever is on sale or I have in the freezer is the winner for that day. 😉
I often time will look for packages like you see here that need to be bought within the next day. I’ll jut plan this meal for the following morning so I can throw it all in and it’s ready for lunch or dinner…or both if I double it.
Here are a few questions you might have to begin with:
I personally use different seasonings for both. Our slow cooker pulled pork has a sweeter taste to it. I leave these in larger pieces, but shredded is good too and easily done with 2 forks.
Some people crisp carnitas at the end too. You could do this with a Ninja Foodi, air fryer, or under your broiler.
Here’s what my prepared meat looked like at the beginning. I trim it a bit (preference) and then cut it up like this.
The salsa verde adds a ton of flavor as is, I buy that bottled to make things a lot easier. You can adjust the heat level to your liking. What is listed below makes it mild / almost medium.
Slow cooking is great for this kind of meal. You’ll get fall apart shredded pork that tastes like authentic Mexican food at your favorite restaurant. Your family will love it too I assure you.
Pork Carnitas Slow Cooker Recipe
- Cubed pork shoulder or other cut
- I have cubed large pieces of beef too and that works
- Salsa verde
- or pico de gallo with added liquid like chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- Chili powder for a bit of heat, can be adjusted
Corn tortillas are great to serve on the side.
Just throw it all in and walk away. I normally don’t recommend the high setting but I often times will use that to decrease the cooking time to just 3 hours.
Either way you’ll love this recipe even if it is on low for double the time. You can also make it faster in your pressure cooker, I will include that recipe below.
As for the seasonings you can add more if you wish. Love garlic powder? Add some of that too.
Here’s a quick rundown on how we made this, there’s a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post too.
Time needed: 3 hours.
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
Trim and cube pork into pieces about 1.5′ x 1.5″ or so. Put into slow cooker. Add all other ingredients and stir together so meat is well coated.
If you’re doubling the meat then double the sauce ingredients too.
Close lid and cook on high for 3 hours or low for about 6 hours until the meat is fork tender. Shred the meat and serve over rice or inside small tortillas with 1/4 cup cheese as tacos.
Follow our great Instant Pot carnitas recipe if you want to decrease the cook time dramatically.
Looking for more easy pork recipes to try?
- Pork stew with vegetables is a great change for the traditional recipe.
- If you’re forgetful, our frozen pork chops in Instant Pot recipe will be helpful so dinner is still a success.
For Traeger instructions, here is our killer smoked pulled pork recipe to try sometime.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Trim and cube pork into pieces about 1.5'x1.5" or so. Put into slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients and stir together so meat is well coated. If you're doubling the meat then double the sauce ingredients too.
- Close lid and cook on high for 3 hours or low for about 6 hours until the meat is fork tender.
- Serve over rice or inside small tortillas as tacos.