Here’s a healthy Instant Pot chicken parmesan recipe using fresh chicken breasts and tons of flavor! Tender meat smothered in spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese is the way to go. Dinner is ready!
Looking for an Italian dinner made lickety split? This Instant Pot chicken parmesan may be the answer! With tender chicken breasts cooked in spaghetti sauce and smothered in cheese, it’s sure to be a family favorite in your house too. Find this and 101 other Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom blog and enjoy.
- I bet parmesan chicken is one of your favorite dishes too huh? We first made Instant Pot chicken parmesan casserole, this time I wanted to make it a bit more traditional.
They’re both great though and listed on our roundup of easy Instant Pot chicken recipes to try.
This is all you really need to make Instant Pot chicken parmesan for dinner.
Yep, this is it. We are going to use jarred sauce this time but if you insist on making homemade Instant Pot spaghetti sauce first by all means do so and use that.
Let’s get down to the basic ingredients you’ll need to pick up:
- Pressure cooker or Ninja Foodi
- if you’re using an Instant Pot I HIGHLY suggest getting this non stick pot
- Chicken breasts
- Spaghetti noodles
- Jar of spaghetti sauce
- Mozzarella cheese and lots of it
- a bit of parmesan cheese is good too
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Italian seasonings
Let’s start by seasoning your boneless, skinless chicken breasts with basil, salt and pepper. Then set your pot to saute and add a bit of olive oil so you can sear or brown both sides before adding them into your pot.
Yes they would cook throughly without this step but I think everyone likes their meat a bit more done on the outsides, and tender on the inside. It is up to you how much of a sear you put on the outsides though. Personal preference really.
Is chicken parmesan and chicken parmesana the same?
- Yes, essentially they’re both breaded chicken cutlets with lots of melted mozzarella and/or provolone. This version is a healthier version with no breading involved, we will share one later with it next week though so stay tuned to your newsletter from me.
- Chicken Parmesan started way back with Eggplant Parmigiana in Campania and Sicily in Italy
There are so many great ways to make this. Of course if you don’t have a pressure cooker you can use your oven and make this easy chicken parmesan casserole style dish. This one is so much easier and healthy too though!
After you’ve cooked the chicken it’s time to add the sauce on the bottom. First remove the chicken and pour in your marinara sauce. When adding your breasts back in make sure to set them in gently and don’t push down to the bottom. This will prevent the dreaded burn notice from occurring on your screen.
- Buy your favorite brand (mine is linked above) and pour it right in!
The next step to this healthy chicken parmesan recipe is to lock the lid and set to high pressure for just 7 minutes of pressure cooking time.
- Now chicken parm wouldn’t be complete without some noodles! We cooked those separately.
Then cheese was added to the top of each breast and the lid put back on just long enough for it to melt.
Once your chicken in the Instant Pot was ooey gooey and cheesy remove from the pot on to a plate and add drained noodles to the pot. Stir so they get nice and coated with sauce. You could add 1/2 cup more tomato sauce if there isn’t enough.
- And that’s how this Instant Pot chicken parmesan was made!
It’s a great recipe for families who love comfort food, need a quick meal, and looking for a healthier alternative to the traditional.
We are working on a slow cooker version of this, but also have this air fryer chicken parm recipe you can try! We just can’t get enough of it can you tell??!!
This is a breaded chicken parmesan version that came out fantastic in our new favorite kitchen appliance.
What sides go with chicken parmesan?
Can you freeze cooked chicken parmesan?
First completely wrap the frozen chicken parmesan in a couple layers of plastic wrap, or use foil if you want. Label and stick back in the freezer. If you are reheating this straight from the freezer cook in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour 15 minutes or until heated through.
Looking for other Instant Pot recipes?
- Our Instant Pot spaghetti is wildly popular.
- Any of our Instant Pot casseroles are a win.
- All of these are just a few of the best Instant Pot recipes on the web today.
Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
- Put the 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper and 1 teaspoon of dried basil in a small bowl and stir until well combined. Season the chicken breasts with the mix, on both sides.
- Turn the pressure cooker to Sauté and add the olive oil. Place the chicken breasts into the pressure cooker pot and cook for 2.5 minutes on one side before flipping and cooking for the remaining 2.5 minutes so outsides are no longer pink.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside on a plate. Pour in the marinara sauce into
the pot, then add the garlic salt and Italian seasoning and give it a good
- Place the chicken breast back into the pot on top of the sauce, don’t push them down to the bottom of the pot. Put the lid on the pressure cooker and set valve to pressure cook high for 7 minutes.
- In the meantime, boil the spaghetti according to package instructions, rinse
with cool water and set aside once done cooking.
- Allow to naturally release steam for 5 minutes, then let out rest of steam. Sprinkle cheese over the top of all 4 breasts. Place lid back on and allow cheese to melt with the steam inside the pot.
- Remove breasts and plate. Then put cooked drained noodles into pot with sauce and mix so they are all well coated.
- Put sauced noodles next to breast on plates and serve with extra cheese on top if you'd like.