Air fryer chicken parm is the best! Crispy outside smothered with cheese and tender chicken parmesan inside makes for the perfect hearty dinner.
Try air fryer chicken parm in your kitchen tonight! We have been trying lots of new air fryer recipes for dinner lately and this protein packed meal has become a family favorite.
Here are a few resources to start with:
- This is the Ninja Foodi we have, we also have this electric air fryer
- You can grab a recipe book here. 😉
- Pick up MY cookbook too!
- You’ll find more Ninja Foodi air fryer recipes here too.
- Join my Ninja Foodi EASY Recipes Facebook group for more recipes.
This is what you need to make this easy air fryer chicken parm recipe
- Chicken breasts
- Bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Marinara sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Italian seasoning
You will also need 2 shallow dishes, and/or bowls to dredge the chicken in this breading.
Just like when you make air fryer stuffed chicken breast you want to make sure that the pieces are the same size and thickness. That is important so they get done and cooked through all at the same time. Medium size boneless skinless breasts are best.
- I would not recommend making air fryer frozen chicken parmesan, it’s better if your meat is defrosted beforehand.
Also, it is best that you do not choose really thick breasts. Those can take a while to cook and by the time the middle is cooked thoroughly the outsides are a bit overdone.
Why is it called chicken parmesan?
Italian immigrants brought the recipe over with them. Today, chicken parmigiana as they called it simplified to chicken parmesan referring to the delicate cheese made in and around the province of Parma.
Basic steps to follow for air fryer chicken parmesan:
- In a shallow bowl whisk your eggs, set aside.
- Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese with garlic and onion powder in a bowl or dish.
- Dip chicken in the whisked egg, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture so it is coated. Shake off excess.
- Place breaded chicken into air fryer basket in a single layer. Can sprinkle with salt and pepper now as well if you wish.
- Cook and then spoon marinara sauce on top sprinkled with shredded mozzarella.
- Add a bit more time to melt this over the cooked chicken
- We love chicken parmesan this way and hope you do too!
What can I serve with chicken parmesan?
Air fryer cauliflower is a great side dish.
- Use this easy roll recipe
- Collard greens
- Here’s 19 ways to cook brussel sprouts
- And air fryer corn is a great vegetable
How long does cooked chicken parmesan last in the fridge?
Poultry pieces are safe in the refrigerator for 1-2 days and safe in the freezer for up to nine months. After it’s been cooked, chicken is safe to be refrigerated for 3-4 days and in the freezer for 2-6 months.
Can you freeze cooked air fried chicken parmesan?
Wrap the frozen pieces in a couple layers of plastic wrap, or use foil. Reheat in an oven at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
Other Ninja Foodi recipes you should try (any brand works really)
- We have lots of different Ninja Foodi chicken recipes you can make next
- Simple air fryer chicken thighs and air fryer chicken kabobs are low carb and great
- Air fryer pizza is always fun
- Then make sticky buns using our air fryer cinnamon rolls recipe
Frozen chicken breast in an air fryer has no breading and comes out tender every time.
Air Fryer Chicken Parm
- In a small bowl whisk eggs, in another bowl combine bread crumbs, parmesan, and onion and garlic powder.
- Dredge chicken breast in egg, then cover in bread crumb mixture generously shaking off excess. (make sure breasts are about med. size and are all similar sizes so they cook evenly)
- Spray inside of air fryer basket with non stick spray and put coated breasts inside.
- Close and set air fryer to 360 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Cook time will depend on thickness of chicken.
- Open basket and spoon marinara sauce over cooked breasts, then sprinkle with cheese. Air fry for additional 2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle top with Italian seasonings and serve!