How to bread chicken without eggs or no milk so the breadcrumbs stick and the outside can still get crispy! Baked or follow our air fryer chicken no eggs recipe below.
You may need to know how to bread chicken without eggs because of an allergy, or because you ran out. It is possible to still get your Panko or Italian breadcrumbs to stick so the outer texture is crunchy. One of our favorite air fryer recipes for beginners but can be baked too. (affiliate links present)
How to Bread Chicken without Egg
I have been there before. I’m prepping dinner and OMG realized that I ran out of one ingredient. Whisked egg is a great binder when you are making air fryer chicken recipes for sure. Whether you don’t have any on hand and are looking for other options or need an egg free chicken recipe, we’re here to help.
You can still get it to stick with a few ideas that you likely DO have in your fridge. We will give you a few options to choose from. First you’re going to want to choose your protein. Ideally for this you would want boneless skinless chicken so that when it’s done you can cut and serve.
If not the seasoned crispy outside will likely fall off more than you’d like when you’re trying to remove it from the bones inside. Just a thought on the best results for this no matter how you cook them.
Air Fryer Chicken without Egg
You can’t really do this technique if using a pressure cooker but oven baked and air fry work well.
Yep, most will use melted butter, heavy cream, or even plain yogurt works well to help bread crumbs stick well.
Great alternatives from the typical flour and egg coating steps would be;
1. You can soak in heavy cream for an hour.
2. For a dairy free option without milk you could use melted butter and some lemon.
3. Honey mustard is another option that works well and adds a ton of flavor.
4. Plain Greek yogurt will help the breadcrumbs and seasonings stick quite well.
5. Brushing meat with mayonnaise brings a ton of moisture, but is egg based so not a good options if you are allergic to that food.
I have used our lemon pepper chicken marinade too if you want something without any fat and packed with a lot of flavor. You just need something to really moisten the outside so seasonings and breading sticks well.
How to Bread Chicken without Eggs or Milk
If you need dairy free options there are a few. You can find dairy free yogurt which works well and tastes pretty darn close to the “original” according to my husband. Mayonnaise is a great alternative too but if you are allergic to eggs you wouldn’t be able to use that since it’s made with eggs.
- Rinse and dry your pieces with paper towels to remove moisture from the outside, put in a deep bowl.
- Add salt, spices, herbs and 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Stir and leave for 10-15 minutes to marinate.
- You can increase the time, and it is better to cover the bowl with cling film and put it in the fridge.
- Alternatively you can brush chicken with plain Greek yogurt, mayo, or an egg substitute product and sprinkle seasonings mix on top
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil. Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Roll each piece into Panko bread crumbs a few times so it sticks to the chicken
- Place in your basket in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes on one side. Flip the fried thighs to the other side and roast for another 7-10 minutes.
- timing will depend on how thick they are
Remove once internal temperature reaches 165 F in thickest part of meat. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Can top with bbq sauce if desired.
Serve as is or with chicken dipping sauces on the side, or poured over the top. If you wanted to tweak this and make it more Italian, spoon spaghetti sauce on top 2 minutes before the end with a slice of provolone on top to make air fryer chicken parmesan.
Breading without Eggs
We spoke about your options above but let’s touch on those again. If you use something thicker like yogurt or mayo use a pastry brush to coat all sides well. Sprinkle on your seasonings and let them sit on plate covered with plastic wrap in your fridge for 15 minutes.
If using olive oil, toss to coat, lay on a plate, add seasonings, and let sit like the others in the fridge for a bit. Note: the coating will not be as thick as if you did dunk into some whisked egg first, so don’t expect the same result like our fried chicken thighs. This is what we used on this go around;
- We used thighs boneless, skinless is best for sure
- this is how long to bake chicken drumsticks at 400 if you want to make those
- Olive oil, Greek yogurt, mustard sauce, heavy cream or mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- Coriander – ground
- Fenugreek ground, optional
- Dried thyme
- Granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 5 tbsp Italian breadcrumbs or Panko
For gluten free fried chicken there are crumbs out there for you too. Season again with salt and black pepper when done of course but this in of itself will add a lot of flavor.
Egg Free Fried Chicken
Now there is one more option if you want the outside to become really crispy but don’t really care necessarily about the Panko bread crumbs crunch. You can follow our air fryer baking powder chicken recipe and that is killer too. That is another great gluten free option to follow.
If you want to bake breaded chicken in oven without eggs you can. This is how to bake crispy chicken wings in the oven that is egg free too.
How long does it take to bake chicken breast in oven
To make these in the oven you would follow the same directions but preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment or non stick foil. Lay pieces on top with a bit of space in between and place on middle rack.
- Bake breaded chicken breasts without eggs for 20 – 30 min. for large boneless and skinless pieces.
- 35 to 40 minutes for large bone-in, skin left on pieces baked at the same temperature. Always use a meat thermometer in thickest part of meat to ensure it reaches 165 F before consuming.
Fried Chicken without Eggs
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
How to Bread Chicken Without Eggs
- Rinse and dry the chicken thighs with paper towels, put in a deep bowl. Drizzle with your olive oil to coat outside of each piece, sprinkle seasonings all over each one. Leave for 10-15 minutes to marinate. You can increase the time, and it is better to cover the bowl with cling film and put it in the fridge. * or brush chicken with plain Greek yogurt and sprinkle seasonings mix on top
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil. Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F. Roll each thigh in breadcrumbs all over so they stick and place in a basket in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes on one side. Carefully flip the fried thighs to the other side (so breading doesn't fall off) and air fry for another 7-10 minutes. (timing will depend on how thick they are) Remove once internal temp. reaches 165 in thickest part of meat. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Can top with bbq sauce if desired.
- It is better to serve the thighs immediately, while they are hot, juicy, with a crispy crust.