Gluten free chicken wings in air fryer or deep fried are great so everyone can enjoy this popular appetizer or finger food. Easy as ever. If you loved our air fryer chicken wings baking powder these will be a hit at your house too.
These air fryer gluten free chicken wings are the bomb. With a little tweak we will show you how to bake crispy chicken wings with Panko bread crumbs and seasonings. If you have Celiac but still want to enjoy all the YUM this will be a game changer for y’all. (affiliate links present)
Air Fryer Gluten Free Wings
Of course you can easily deep fry anything to make it super crispy and crunchy but that isn’t very healthy. Believe it or not, air fryer wings come out just as crispy without that weird aftertaste or added calories.
If you haven’t tried this method of cooking you are in for a serious surprise. The same goes for our fried chicken in air fryer without flour that is GF chicken as well. We will explain both methods below though.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Gluten Free Air Fryer Wings
If you have only made baked chicken wings in the oven, stop it. I will open your eyes to a whole new world with this method.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Gluten Free
It really is the preparations and way you cook these babies that gets them crunchy or kinda’ ehhhhh as far as consistency and texture goes. There is NO excuse for flimsy wings, nobody is going to rave about those. Getting really crispy chicken skin is a big part of why this part of the bird is so popular.
Are Chicken Wings Gluten Free?
I mean left alone with just some salt and pepper yes they are. It is the toppings and coating that transition it to something that may have Gluten on them. Typically they are dredged in egg and then breadcrumbs which wouldn’t work for some people. Instead you can find variations like Panko that are safe, and sometimes crunchier than others.
Gluten Free Wings
There IS a trick to getting the outside just perfect. If you follow it just right they will taste just like the gluten free Buffalo Wild Wings you’ve had there. Don’t rush, there’s a method to the madness and it doesn’t take very long to do it right. Here are the must dos;
- It is not necessary to rinse them off. Some swear you must, and others yell if you do. Just do whatever floats your boat.
- Either way you need to lay out a few paper towels and lay them on top in one single layer.
- Grab a few more paper towels and lay on the top of those.
- Gently press down to remove as much moisture on the outside as you possibly can.
- Then you can start your dredge into the cornstarch, egg, Panko bowls
- Always preheat your oil or air fryer so it is at temperature before you start heating them.
- Don’t overcrowd either fryer and flip over halfway thru the timing if using your Cosori or Ninja Foodi
Got it?? Ok now proceed 😉
Fried Chicken Wings No Flour
Ok so you’re going to want 3 shallow dishes in order to get started with this assembly line of sorts. Remember that you don’t want to overlap these. They need to be in a single layer when cooking so plan ahead if you have to make multiple batches to feed everyone.
- You’ll need some gluten free cornstarch and seasonings in one of them
- add at least salt and pepper but Lawrys is great too
- Whisk a few eggs in another
- Use Panko in the 3rd to get that CRISP
To make it more and more golden brown of course more time helps but a light spritz of olive or avocado oil will speed up the crispy skin process too. So when you flip them spray the tops again to get that color and crunch you want all the way around.
Panko Chicken Wings
Ok so now you have an explanation let’s move on to a quick step by step. there is a printable recipe card at the bottom you can print out when game day nears, or just come back. 😉
- Remember you always want to preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 380 degrees F.
- Beat together eggs and salt in a shallow bowl.
- In another separate shallow bowl, combine cornstarch and garlic powder and mix well.
- In a third shallow bowl, add Panko.
- Blot chicken wings with paper towels to dry skin as much as possible.
- Dredge into cornstarch, coating all sides.
- Then dredge into your whisked egg, coating all sides and finally into crumbs, coating all sides.
- Place into air fryer basket. Repeat, working in batches, to fill the air fryer basket without overlapping. Spray top of wings with nonstick cooking spray.
- Air fry and cook the wings for 22-25 minutes total cook time at 380 degrees F, flip halfway thru. OR deep fry for about 8 min.
Remove and serve in a large bowl for everyone to enjoy with all sorts of dipping sauces for wings sauces. Of course bbq sauce and Ranch is a given but there are so many other great toppings. Pair with some fries or a side salad and it will transition from an appetizer to a full on meal. Kids love finger foods so you’ll be the hero at dinner with these.
How do you save cooked chicken wings?
I will say they are best eaten fresh and right after being cooked. But if you hate to waste food like I do and there are some leftovers you should save. In order to not get a weird outside wait until they are at room temperature. Transfer into a sealed container with a paper towel in between layers.
Then the best way to reheat wings in air fryer is here to read. If you don’t have that you could throw back into the fryer for a minute or so. Third way which isn’t as great is to just microwave a batch. Put a new paper towel on a plate and heat for 30 seconds, flip over and 30 sec. again until warmed.
They won’t get crunchy this way but better than nothing. Pair with a batch of air fryer frozen french fries or some Hawaii coleslaw for lunch the next day. Can’t beat free and since they would go to waste otherwise it is worth giving it a whirl. Air frying them though really does bring those babies back to life, you should try it.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Gluten Free Chicken Wings
- Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 380 degrees F. Beat together eggs and salt in a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, combine cornstarch and garlic powder and mix well.
- In a third shallow bowl, add panko. Blot chicken wings with paper towels to dry skin as much as possible. Dredge into cornstarch, coating all sides. Dredge into egg wash, coating all sides and finally into panko, coating all sides.
- Place into air fryer basket (or deep fryer). Repeat, working in batches, to fill the air fryer basket without overlapping. Spray top of wings with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook for 22-25 minutes total at 380 degrees F, until hot and crispy (or 8 minutes in deep fryer). Flip pieces over after minute 10 and spray tops again. Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.