The best slow cooker chicken parmesan recipe you can throw together in the morning and have tender chicken breasts with a cheesy sauce for dinner tonight.
Crockpot Chicken Parmesan
- Yes, we do have a lot of simple chicken recipes here on The Typical Mom blog but this gets 6 thumbs up from my kids.
It’s also on our list of easy cheap Crockpot meals because it costs under $20 to make for all of us!
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Crockpot Chicken Parmesan Recipe
You can’t get much better than that right??!! I mean we love this combination for all sorts of things, not just meat. From air fryer eggplant parm to this same mix on chicken and even pork chops would be killer. We make this often.
Maybe you think since it cooks low and slow all day that you’d need to skip the breading, wrong!
It still works great to roll the meat in breadcrumbs so you still have that coated flavor and texture you love.
How do you make chicken parmesan from scratch?
We will show you! Well, it’s pretty homemade. 😉
Unlike our Instant Pot chicken parmesan casserole, this dish doesn’t have any noodles cooked with it. You’d have to throw those into a pot to get tender a few minutes before serving.
- NOW if you want a crunchy coated outside you’ll need to follow our air fryer chicken parm recipe.
Honestly, I love them all but it depends on my mood and how busy I am that day.
- Try them all and see which you like the best!
Slow cooker chicken parmesan
Start with some boneless skinless chicken breasts. I mean you could use thighs if you really wanted but typically this is the cut that is preferred.
This is what else you’re going to need:
- Spaghetti sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasonings
- Mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper if you like
Garlic powder and any other seasonings you like can be added too. I like to season as I am adding ingredients into the pot but not too heavily.
You can always add more later when served but you can’t take it away and you don’t want it to be overwhelming. Remember the sauce has a lot of seasonings in it as it is.
First I recommend spraying the inside of your crock with non stick olive oil spray to help with cleanup later on.
Then you’re going to use a shallow bowl to combine your seasoned bread crumbs together and coat both sides of chicken well.
- In the bottom of your Crock pot lay your coated chicken.
- If you really really wanted some crunch you could sear/brown outsides in a large skillet and then add but I don’t bother.
Then pour your spaghetti sauce on top. You could mix together your own seasonings and tomato sauce yourself but this just makes it easier on me to have it done in a jar.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of that and cook on high for 4 hours or low for about 7.
- I personally prefer low and slow. The meat comes out more tender and more flavorful in my opinion.
Once you’re done cooking chicken, sprinkle the mozzarella on the very top about 30 minutes before serving. Then once cheese is melted serve with a side of noodles or rice.
This is a really easy recipe if you’re looking for a meal that is high in protein and low fat too.
What side goes with chicken parmesan?
- Pasta or zoodles are a good low carb alternative side dish
- Of course you can’t go wrong with a salads. This option gives you a crispness to balance out the rich flavors of your dish.
Veggies are usually a favorite around here. A mix of air fryer vegetables like zucchini, squash and mushrooms are my go to.
- Mashed potatoes are easy to throw together in your pressure cooker or another Crock.
- Bread options include garlic bread or pull apart bread.
Is chicken parmigiana the same as chicken parmesan?
Yes, they are both the same delicious, mouth watering meal that you know well and love.
- It’s a breaded chicken cutlet with lots of melted mozzarella and/or provolone cheese on top.
This recipe started way back with eggplant parmigiana in Campania and Sicily in Italy and was brought to the U.S. to be loved by many more here.
What if you want to make homemade spaghetti sauce? That is totally fine! I have done that myself from time to time.
- If you have a family recipe, use that. I have a link above to the throw together method I follow. 😉
Can you put pasta in a slow cooker
You can at the end like our Crockpot spaghetti and meatballs.
So here’s the deal. I do not add it when I am making a dish that has raw meat in it. That is going to cook funky and take much longer for the meat to cook, and not have the noodles get mushy.
- For something like our Crockpot hamburger casserole you can cook everything together including the pasta.
- This is because the cook time is only 3 hours AND the ground beef is cooked before it’s added into your slow cooker.
In this case I would say it’s a flat out NO, don’t do it. Instead just boil it on your stovetop, or in your pressure cooker covered with water for about 3 minutes with a quick release.
You can’t go wrong with Instant Pot butter noodles with all the things. Find the recipe for this and other pasta recipes here.
How do you cook just pasta in a slow cooker?
Pasta cooks quickly in a Crockpot and adding it too soon will leave you with a mushy mess. You’ll need to add pasta, stir it into the sauce, liquid, or soup you’re making.
Add extra water if the liquid content is low so noodles are submerged. Cook for 20 minutes and serve.
- I will say this is how my Mom has done it, I prefer the quicker method above myself.
- For more easy Crockpot chicken recipes see our roundup here and enjoy friends.
Directions for Instant Pot chicken parmesan are here. The same great flavors in a fraction of the time. So good.
We have a printable recipe card here below for your reference with nutritional information listed in it as well.
Calories and saturated fat amounts will vary slightly depending on the sauce and amount of cheese you use but is pretty accurate for each serving amount.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
- In a shallow bowl combine 1 tsp Italian seasonings, salt, garlic powder, dry parsley, and your breadcrumbs, mix together
- Roll each chicken breast in this mixture so each is well coated
- Place coated chicken in Crockpot that's been sprayed with non stick spray.
- Pour jar of spaghetti sauce on top of coated meat.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of that. Cook on low for about 6 hours. (timing will depend greatly on how thick your breasts are)
- 15 minutes prior to serving lift lid, sprinkle on mozzarella cheese + remaining Italian seasoning and put lid back on.
- Once cheese is melted serve immediately