The easiest crockpot chicken cacciatore recipe ever! If you’ve never made this it literally takes 10 min. to prep and my kids love it too over rice! A really healthy slow cooker dinner we make often because it is cheap and only needs a few ingredients which I love when I’m in a hurry to put a meal together.
I love an easy dinner, like the easiest crockpot chicken cacciatore recipe ever. It just takes 10 minutes to prep.! Seriously, it’s so easy and even the kids gobble this one up! One of our favorite crockpot recipes. (originally published 11/16, affiliate links present)
I mean I’m all about healthy, if it still tastes amazing! This fits the bill on those requirements and is cheap too!
Of course you can vary it depending on your heat level preferences too which is nice.
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
It is an inexpensive crockpot meal and quite healthy too incorporating chicken and veggies that cook down and get nice and soft in the process. Perfect over rice. I bet all of you will love this meal too.
Well my mom used to when I was younger, but from scratch. Ok, so I don’t have time to do the from scratch thing usually during the week.
- But, I came up with a semi-homemade way using the same ingredients but in a much simpler form. It’s one of the best crockpot chicken recipes.
Literally this is all you need. Maybe some rice if you want to serve it over that when it’s done. That is what we do. It doesn’t matter what brand spaghetti sauce you use.
- Choose whatever type of sauce you want(I’m all about what is on sale). Just stay away from meat flavor since that is ground beef based.
I tend to choose garlic or mushroom, and prefer a thicker version but like I said I usually buy what’s on sale.
2 large chicken breasts will do and will feed the 5 of us. I also add mushrooms but I don’t like them mushy so I wait until the last hour to add those (you can omit those if you prefer).
Chicken thighs would work as well, but I usually save those to make my Crockpot jerk chicken instead.
Here are a few questions you might have before you get started:
Chicken served and cooked with onions, herbs, tomatoes, bell peppers and sometimes red wine (which we omitted).
Cooked together the meat really soaks up all those wonderful juices and gives it tons of flavor. Cacciatore means hunter so some call it this as well.
Crockpot chicken cacciatore recipe
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Spaghetti sauce – buy whatever jar is on sale really
- You could make your own homemade spaghetti sauce beforehand if you want with crushed tomatoes etc..
- Peppers & mushrooms
- any bell pepper colors, you can use a few different colors too
- Olives – some people like to add them, we usually don’t
Red pepper flakes could be added for a bit of heat.
Slow cooker chicken cacciatore
If you are busy like we are these quick crockpot meals are lifesavers! I use mine at least once a week if not more and have several sizes.
- Healthy crockpot chicken noodle soup is great even if you aren’t sick
- Easy homemade crockpot split pea soup is low in saturated fat and super nutritious.
- Crockpot lemon pepper chicken is healthy, my family loved this recipe the other night
- Try this crockpot cream cheese chicken with breasts or bone in chicken thighs this week.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Time needed: 6 hours.
Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore
- Add ingredients
Place chicken breasts (not frozen) on bottom of crockpot. Pour jar of spaghetti sauce on top. Pour about 3/4 c. water into jar and swish around to get rest of sauce out of jar and pour that into crockpot as well.
Slice bell pepper, dice onion, and put into crockpot. Add minced garlic, salt and pepper if you wish. Stir just a bit but keep chicken on bottom and covered with sauce.
Cover and cook for 5 hrs cooking time on low.
Add mushrooms that have been rinsed and quartered into crockpot, stir slightly cook for an additional hour on low. (or longer depending on how thick they are, cook until meat falls apart)
Can double if you’d like. Serve over rice.
How long can you keep cooked chicken in the fridge?
About 4 days sealed inside airtight containers or bags is the general rule. If you know you won’t use it within that time you should freeze it instead. Then it will last a few months without issue.
I’ve also made it in just a few minutes with my Instant Pot chicken cacciatore recipe.
How do you revive leftover chicken?
Since this will be saved in a thick tomato sauce it should stay pretty moist. If it is by itself it may dry out and you would want to add a bit of broth or olive oil to the top when reheating in the oven or microwave.
I wouldn’t recommend cooking on high, I never do. Low and slow is always best for meat so it becomes fork tender.
Remove chicken when done and shred or serve whole on plates. Shouldn’t even need a knife to cut.
Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore
- Place chicken breasts (not frozen) on bottom of crockpot.
- Pour jar of spaghetti sauce on top.
- Pour about 3/4 c. water into jar and swish around to get rest of sauce out of jar and pour that into crockpot as well.
- Slice bell pepper, dice onion, and put into crockpot.
- Add minced garlic if you wish. Stir just a bit but keep chicken on bottom and covered with sauce.
- Cook for 5 hrs on low.
- Add mushrooms that have been rinsed and quartered into crockpot, stir slightly cook for an additional hour on low. Can double if you’d like. Serve over rice.