This healthy Instant Pot chicken cacciatore recipe is so easy to make and just takes 3 minutes to cook in your pressure cooker. Moist and full of flavor, you just need 3 main ingredients for this low carb dinner idea! Serve over rice it’s our favorite comfort food.
This new Instant Pot chicken cacciatore recipe we made tonight and it came out great! I have been creating lots of easy Instant Pot recipes ever since I got mine 3 Christmas’ ago and it is the best way to make a full on healthy dinner in less than 20 minutes! (originally published 6/17, affiliate links present)
Really healthy great recipe, using a few ingredients and inexpensive at just under $11 to fed 6 of us.
You can make this in your Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi too.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
If you do not have one of these fancy pressure cookers I can’t say enough about them!
- I’ve used chicken thighs and chicken breasts depending on which I find on sale.
Where did chicken cacciatore come from?
- Name means hunter in Italian. It’s said they’re the first to eat this dish.
Why I prefer cooking dinner in a pressure cooker
- Making Instant Pot chicken recipes makes the cook time fast!
- Crockpot chicken cacciatore takes 5 hours to cook
- Instant Pot chicken cacciatore takes a total of about 15
- Pressure cooker recipes are packed with flavor as the meat really soaks up the sauce
You can cook veggies, meat, and sauce together like our pressure cooker chicken and rice. Everything comes out tender all at the same time.
I can walk away from the pot and let everything cook on it’s own
Full of flavor from the spaghetti sauce (could use homemade recipe for spaghetti sauce but I am all about easy), seasoning and the flavor from the bell peppers it’s a great dinner idea.
- If I can pressure cook a meal we all love in under 30 minutes it’s a huge win. This chicken cacciatore in my pressure cooker got a thumbs up from all of us.
Instant Pot chicken cacciatore recipe
- Chicken breasts – boneless, skinless, cut into bite size pcs. (could use chicken thighs if you preferred)
- I use fresh chicken, here’s info. on how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot
- I recommend fresh
- Bell peppers
- Chili powder
- Garlic salt
- Spaghetti sauce – we like this one
- Can use tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and diced tomatoes instead (to total 24 oz.)
- Quartered mushrooms, red pepper flakes & Kalamata olives are optional
What does Hunter style mean?
- It is just a term used to describe this dish which is sometimes made with wine.
Prepared with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and herbs it comes from the Italian definition cacciatore which means to hunt.
I call it a best recipe win when all of us like it, it’s easy to prepare, and it costs under $20 to feed all of us.
- This checked all those boxes, plus I had enough for lunch the next day. You can slice the onions and bell peppers thin if you want them to be soft when it is done.
- I like them a bit firmer so I cut them a bit thicker before throwing them in, either way it’s great.
Looking for more easy Instant Pot chicken recipes?
- Spicy honey Instant Pot chicken
- Hawaiian Instant Pot shredded chicken
- Instant Pot chicken and dumplings
- The best Instant Pot sesame chicken
Here’s a butter masala recipe you can try too
What do you serve chicken cacciatore over?
- You could add chicken to a plate as is for a low carb dinner
- Or make this easy Instant Pot white rice and serve it on top
- Over egg noodles works well too
How long does chicken cacciatore last in the fridge?
Usually 3-4 days is the general rule if stored in an air tight plastic container or freezer bag.
There’s a video in the post showing you how we make it at home.
Recipe Notes: Don’t forget to dice before you add the chicken to the pot. Bite size pieces are best so they cook evenly and come out tender.
- If you’d like to season the chicken with any additional herbs and black pepper / salt at this time feel free.
After you lock the lid and timing is done, allow pot to naturally release steam for 2 minutes. Then quick release pressure release to maintain juicy meat.
Here’s a quick step by step but there’s a printable recipe card with recipe tips at the bottom of this post too:
Time needed: 6 minutes.
Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore
- Add ingredients
Pour half jar of spaghetti sauce on bottom of pot. Cube chicken into small bite size pieces and add into your Instant Pot.
Pour rest of spaghetti sauce over that. Add 1/2 c. water into your spaghetti sauce jar, put on lid and shake to get remaining sauce out of jar. Pour this liquid on top of chicken.
Cut bell peppers and onion into strips (thicker if you want them firmer when done, thinner if you want them really soft). Add into your pressure cooker.
Sprinkle your chili powder, garlic salt, and any other seasonings you like over that.
Set your Instant Pot to manual, pressure, high, for 3 minutes.
Allow to naturally release steam for 2 minutes, then quick release, lift lid carefully and serve over rice!
(as always, check chicken when done to make sure it is thoroughly cooked thru, 3 min. is plenty of time if cut into bite size pcs. initially)
I always add some shredded parmesan on the top when serving it over white or brown rice.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Pressure cooker chicken cacciatore
Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- Pour half jar of spaghetti sauce on bottom of pot. Cube chicken into small bite size pieces and add into your Instant Pot.
- Pour rest of spaghetti sauce over that. Add 1/2 c. water into your spaghetti sauce jar, put on lid and shake to get remaining sauce out of jar. Pour this liquid on top of chicken.
- Cut bell peppers and onion into strips (thicker if you want them firmer when done, thinner if you want them really soft). Add into your pressure cooker.
- Sprinkle your chili powder, garlic salt, and any other seasonings you like over that.
- Set your Instant Pot to manual, pressure, high, for 3 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release steam for 2 minutes, then quick release, lift lid carefully and serve over rice!(as always, check chicken when done to make sure it is thoroughly cooked thru, 3 min. is plenty of time if cut into bite size pcs. initially)