Crockpot hamburger casserole is amazing! A dump and go slow cooker dinner packed with ground beef and cheeseburger macaroni noodles. Comfort food at it’s finest!
We love crockpot recipes! I whipped up what I call crockpot hamburger casserole that was cheesy like cheeseburger macaroni and it was a hit!! With diced potatoes and onions it was a hearty meal that was almost better the next day! (originally published 9/19, affiliate links present)
- How did I come up with this slow cooker recipe?
This came about like a lot of others on The Typical Mom really. I had a pound of ground beef and a few potatoes that needed to be used so I went on a pantry hunt! You know, find a few other items that I thought would go well together and BAM, cheeseburger casserole was created. 😉
You could leave out the potatoes but diced they bulked up the dish and gave it a bit of texture since I left the skins on.
Ingredients needed for crockpot hamburger casserole recipe
- Ground beef
- Potatoes – I slice potatoes then dice them small
- Cream of mushroom soup – don’t use low fat version
- Cheese – I like sharp shredded cheese personally
- Sour cream
- Elbow macaroni noodles
- Garlic salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Beef broth
Similar to my slow cooker cheesy potatoes recipe, this one is great for dinner or even a potluck in the afternoon.
Can you put raw ground beef in a slow cooker?
I wouldn’t. I will throw raw chicken or stew meat but just like my 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe but I always put browned ground beef in my pot.
- If you really want to cook ground beef in a crockpot here are directions.
What happens if you don’t brown meat before slow cooking?
- Theoretically you could cook meat in your crockpot along with everyone else, as long as it is reaches to a safe temperature before serving. Honestly though the texture is kinda’ weird. Just take the extra 5 minutes to cook or brown it beforehand.
Does meat need to be submerged in a slow cooker?
It isn’t a must but I usually do to give it more flavor and so it turns out more tender too.
Biggest tip to remember when making this slow cooker beef casserole: The noodles DO need to be submerged into the liquid. If not they won’t become tender like you want them to be in a casserole.
- Do not add the macaroni noodles until step 3 though. They only need about 30 minutes to cook in the liquid or else they will become mush. No good.
Creamy ingredients like cheese, milk (in other recipes) and sour cream should be added at the end too to maintain it’s flavor and not curdle in the long cooking crock pot recipe process.
Steps to follow when making this crockpot ground beef casserole:
First I suggest spraying non stick spray inside your pot. Some opt to use crockpot liners, but personally the thought of cooking inside plastic is a no go for me. Totally up to you.
- Precook your ground beef on the stovetop (my preference).
- Dice potatoes. The smaller they are the more tender they will be. I chose to leave the skins on and it was great, you could remove a portion but I wouldn’t skin entirely.
- Put these items + your cream of mushroom soup, onion and seasonings. Stir together.
- Cook on high for 3 hours. If you needed to cook on low I would imagine 5-6 hours would be sufficient.
- When done add your broth and stir, then pour in noodles and gently submerge into the liquid. This will take another 30 minutes to become tender.
- The last step is to add your cheese and sour cream, stir, and cook for 20 more minutes so everything melts together.
- Then serve!!
Keep in mind there are 3 cook times. The initial time, 30 minutes for the noodles, and an additional 20 to melt the cheese and everything together = About 4 hours on high.
Looking for more busy mom easy cheap crockpot recipes for you family?
- Our crockpot hamburger helper recipe is similar but without the cheese or potatoes.
- Slow cooker scalloped potatoes are a great holiday side dish.
- If you’re looking for more slow cooker ground beef recipes we have those too!
- And casseroles like our Shepherd’s pie with ground beef are awesome
- Lots more easy slow cooker recipes here.
What is the best slow cooker?
I say that really depends on the size of your family and how much your want to spend on a crockpot. There are 5 of us and I like my Pioneer Woman 6 quart slow cooker the best. You can see it above, it’s super pretty and the lid locks too which are pluses.
- Yes I also have a few pressure cookers and they have a slow cooker function but amongst all of my 101+ Instant Pot recipes I NEVER use that function. It does NOT work well. Stick to your “old fashioned” crock for these.
Is it safe to leave a slow cooker on all day?
Well let’s forget about the This is Us episode for a minute when we answer this shall we. 😉 Yes! It is technically safe to leave your slow-cooker on and go about your day as long as you are using the appliance correctly.
Feel free to print recipe for crockpot hamburger potato casserole below. Nutritional information including saturated fat and calories are calculated by the recipe card itself and not tested for exact accuracy. Just make it my friends and enjoy!
You can try Instant Pot hamburger casserole too!
Crockpot Hamburger Casserole
- Cook ground beef on stovetop until no longer pink, then drain and put into slow cooker with diced onion, condensed soup, salts and diced potatoes. Stir together.
- Set to high for 3 hours. Stir and pour in broth now, stir again.
- Pour in uncooked elbow macaroni noodles and submerge into liquid on top. Cover crockpot again and cook an additional 30 minutes on high.
- Lift lid, stir. Add 2 c cheese and sour cream. Mix together well, then sprinkle remaining 1/2 c cheese on very top. Cover and cook for the last 20 minutes.
- Lift lid and serve!