Pressure cooker cashew chicken is to die for! You just need a few ingredients to make this sweet sauce with crunchy nuts and tender pieces of chicken. Make it in your Instant Pot, Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi tonight!
We love easy Instant Pot recipes! We also just got a Ninja Foodi and it’s the bomb too. I honestly can say I haven’t turned on my oven in months. Last night we made this pressure cooker cashew chicken and served it over rice. OH MY was it good! In less than 30 minutes we had a warm complete meal including time it took for me to prep it. Since it was such a hit we thought we’d share it with all of you too. Enjoy! (affiliate links present)
The key to making the best pressure cooker cashew chicken recipe is the cashew chicken sauce!!
It’s easier to make than you might think. Add a bit more hoisin sauce to make it even sweeter, or more soy sauce for a saltier base. It is really up to you but start with my measurements first and go from there. 😉 If you love Panda Express cashew chicken this is the dinner for you!
This is basically what we added to our pot. Use any brand of pressure cooker you might have. We used our Ninja Foodi this time.
Oh yeah, and you can add a bit of heat too if you’d like. We don’t. A squeeze of Sriracha or a pinch of chili powder would do the trick though. That’s what’s great about making homemade cashew chicken, you can make it JUST like you want it.
- Using chicken broth instead of water also gives this one pot meal more flavor. It definitely isn’t lacking of that!
If you’re familiar with our Instant Pot honey chicken or Hawaiian chicken recipe this is somewhat like those with a few different ingredients. Many of these Asian dishes have a lot of the same items with a tweak here and there. Of course you can personalize it from there but you’ll need these basic items to make most of them.
Ingredients for Instant Pot cashew chicken:
- Chicken breasts
- you could use chicken thighs if you wanted
- cut into bite size pieces
- Hoisin sauce
- Minced garlic
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Green onions
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken broth
- Cornstarch – to thicken sauce at the end
- White rice to serve it over
- Sesame oil or olive oil
Sesame seeds and diced bell peppers would be optional add ins.
Do you have to brown meat before putting in a pressure cooker?
- You do NOT need to precook or saute this chicken before you pressure cook.
- It cooks all at the same time and in just 4 minutes flat which makes for a short cook time!! Seriously.
- Some recipes like our Instant Pot crack chicken casserole you do.
- So it depends on what you’re cooking.
Things you need to make pressure cooker cashew chicken
- Pressure cooker
- If you have an Instant Pot I HIGHLY suggest you get a non stick pot too!
- A Crock Pot Express, Mealthy or Ninja works too.
Basic steps to making this easy cashew chicken recipe:
First – Dice your chicken into bite size pieces. This will make it easier to eat, allow the meat to absorb lots of sauce and cook faster.
Then – Add your meat and all other ingredients (minus your cornstarch) into the pot and stir so everything is coated.
Now – You’re going to close your lid, close valve to sealing, and start cooking on high pressure for 4 minutes.
You’re almost done – Now quick release the steam when your pot beeps and remove the lid. Set that aside and turn your pot off and then press saute.
Lastly – How do you thicken a sauce in a pressure cooker? In a small bowl whisk together some of the hot liquid out of your pot with your cornstarch. Make sure it is nice and smooth, now dump that into your pot. Stir and allow to thicken. Turn pot off and serve immediately over rice or quinoa!
Looking for more pressure cooker chicken recipes?
- Try our orange chicken
- Whole chicken
- Pressure cooker creamy chicken and rice casserole
- Or this sweet and sour chicken
Pressure Cooker Cashew Chicken
- 1.5 lbs chicken boneless skinless breasts or thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp sesame oil or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 green onions sliced
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 c chicken broth
- 1/2 c cashews roasted
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Put your diced chicken, sesame or olive oil, salt, minced garlic, pepper, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and chicken broth into your pressure cooker. Stir.
- Close pressure cooker lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Do a quick release when done. Open lid and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together your cornstarch and 5 tbsp of hot liquid from your pot until smooth.
- Set your pressure cooker to saute and when sauce inside begins to bubble pour your cornstarch mixture in and stir for 1 minute. Then turn pot off.
- Dice green onions and put into pot, add as many roasted cashews as you'd like. Stir so everything is combined well.
- Serve alone or on top of rice!