Instant Pot Hawaiian chicken is pineapple sweet with a bit of a kick. Served on top of rice or by itself it’s one of our favorite pressure cooker dinners!
Let me share this easy Instant Pot Hawaiian chicken recipe with you! If you’re looking for a protein packed dinner with pineapple chicken pieces with a bit of a kick to it you will love this! It’s by far one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom blog.
Most people don’t know this about me but I was born and raised for the first 6 years of my life in Hawaii! Crazy right??
Because of this I not only LOVE rice with everything, but remember the unique flavors of that area.
With a bit of a pressure cooker twist I put together one of the meals I remember from my childhood and made Instant Pot Hawaiian chicken you see here. I hope you love it too.
If you’ve never tried easy pineapple chicken before it is great! Not only do you get the sweetness of this delicious fruit, but it’s countered by a bit of heat from the Sriracha you’ll add.
- It is up to you just how spicy you make this pressure cooker pineapple chicken. The below recipe is very mild, so adjust as you wish.
It only takes 6 minutes to cook on high pressure, so about 15 minutes total including the time it takes to reach pressure. Meaning…quick dinner for sure! If you want a bit of heat red pepper flakes could be added. We like it sweet sweet though so we didn’t do that.
What do you serve with Hawaiian chicken?
- I serve it on top of Instant Pot white rice. I make it in my Instant Pot mini so it’s all done at the same time.
- You could alternatively serve it alone with a side of vegetables for a more low carb meal.
How to make pineapple chicken marinade
There’s no need to marinade it overnight though, you just dump it in and go!
Main ingredients for this sweet style Hawaiian bbq chicken:
- Pineapple chunks or tidbits
- could add bell pepper diced too
Chicken used for Hawaiian pineapple chicken
- Use boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Or you could use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer
- Either way you want to remove the fat
- Then dice into bite size pieces
- You do not precook your chicken, it’s put in raw with the sauce and it all cooks together
This is how it looks once it’s done!
If you’re ready to make a type of Instant pineapple chicken I’m ready to share it. 😉
Once you’ve enjoyed this, here are a few more Instant Pot chicken recipes I know you’ll love:
- Pressure cooker chicken and rice is a family favorite cooked in just minutes.
- Instant Pot sesame chicken has a similar feel to this one but different.
- Spicy honey Instant Pot chicken has been pinned over 100K times and gets rave reviews.
- This ramen is next on our list of tries.
Need directions for Crockpot Hawaiian chicken? We have that for you too! It has a longer cooking time but I like to pass along as many variations as possible for all of you.
Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken breasts boneless, skinless, diced
- 1 c pineapple juice
- 1 c pineapple tidbits
- 1/3 c soy sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 c ketchup
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Sriracha makes it cut down the sweetness, but not spicy, add more if you want heat
- 1/2 onion diced, optional
- 3 tbsp cornstarch + 3 tbsp of hot liquid from pot to thicken at end
- Put your diced (bite size) pieces of chicken as well as all other ingredients in the list into your pressure cooker (except for the cornstarch, we will use that later).
- Stir together so chicken is coated well.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Do a quick release, turn off/cancel button, and then press saute button.
- In a small bowl whisk together 3 tbsp of cornstarch + 3 tbsp of the hot liquid inside your pot. Pour this mixture in.
- Mixture should now be bubbling. Stir and bubble for about 1 minute, then turn pot off.
- Sauce will have thickened a bit, and will continue to thicken as it sits for a few more minutes.
- Serve as is or on top of rice, enjoy!
If you’re still looking for more this Hawaiian pork roast with pineapple recipe is on our list to try.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉