Instant Pot cream of mushroom rice is the perfect hearty side dish, or vegetarian casserole! With green beans and quartered portobello mushrooms, you’ll love it too.
Looking for a quick side dish packed with tender vegetables? Try our Instant Pot cream of mushroom rice! We’ve made this as a main dish or side with chicken and it’s great. Find this and 101+ more Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom blog. (affiliate links present)
- Yes you could make this in your Ninja Foodi or Crockpot Express too. Use whatever pressure cooker you have and enjoy. Let us know what you think in the comments below after you try it too!
The trick to creating this was to figure out which veggies had the same cook time so one didn’t get mushy. That’s no good. Broccoli would be yummy too except the cook time for rice would turn that into mush so that was not an option.
Green beans and baby bella mushrooms it was!
Yes I added onions too because that’s just a given in my meals. I came up with this when I needed to throw together an RV meals while we were on the road trip. I wanted something hearty but didn’t have any meat defrosted. The mushrooms were perfect and filled us up great.
- You could mix up 10 ounces of homemade cream of mushroom soup instead of canned, but the original method used Campbell’s.
Ingredients needed for our Instant Pot cream of mushroom rice recipe
- I HIGHLY suggest this non stick pot
- Uncooked long grain or Jasmine white rice
- Mushrooms – baby bella are the best
- Fresh green beans
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Chicken broth – vegetable, or cups of water
- Garlic salt
- Salt and pepper
- Cheese is optional
Yes you could “beef” this up even more with some precooked diced or canned chicken too. We are focusing on a meatless version though.
What can I add to rice while cooking?
- Add herbs of course, there is no limit to this. A little oil, salt, oregano, basil, or rosemary can adds instant yum to a boring bowl of rice.
- Cook it in broth like we did here instead of water. This is a game changer with the amount of flavor this adds to it.
- Add cilantro and lime juice or zest to the top when it is done, nice and fluffy.
- You can drizzle a bit of soy sauce inside while it’s cooking for a more salty taste and/or add to the top.
- Mix in salsa for something closer to this Instant Pot Mexican rice dish.
- Adding beans is something we did with our Instant Pot red beans and rice dinner idea.
- Last but not least have you ever poached or fried an egg and served it on top of your bowl? YUM
For the broth you could use any variety. If making a vegetarian Instant Pot rice dish then of course use vegetable broth vs. chicken. I prefer using the latter.
Our Instant Pot chicken and rice is similar to this recipe, but includes diced chicken thighs or chicken breasts. If just making this as a pressure cooker side dish, then I would follow the directions below.
I have yet to try this using brown rice. The timing would need to be increased which may be an issue with the veggies. I think they would become too soft for me when you pressure cook on high pressure.
- This is the trick to cooking rice perfectly when in a casserole – You MUST sprinkle it on the top after adding the liquid and gently submerge. You cannot stir it in!
- Another thing is that 9 minutes with a 2-3 minute natural release of pressure works better than the standard 12 minute time with a quick release.
If you follow this method you’ll make the best pot of comfort food around in less than 30 minutes. This time includes prep time!
To take this mushroom rice to the next level, stir in 1/2 cup of cheese at the end. It will melt almost immediately and bring another level of flavor to the dish that you’ll love.
Looking for another easy Instant Pot recipe?
- Instant Pot sausage and rice didn’t last long in our house.
- Our cheesy pressusre cooker lasagna casserole is so much easier to make than the traditional style.
- This Instant Pot chicken noodle casserole is a fun twist on the “norm”.
- Then try Instant Pot beef casserole.
How do you make rice less boring?? Amp it up with a bunch of vegetables like you see here! Using condensed cream of mushroom soup and broth instead of water lends a ton of flavor to this dish too.
- Whether you’re looking for a hearty Instant Pot side dish or a vegetarian meal, this is a winner for dinner.
- Printable directions are below and enjoy my friends.
Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Rice
- 8 oz mushrooms baby bellas are best so they stay a bit firm, quartered
- 1/2 lb green beans ends cut off, beans cut in half
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can cream of mushroom condensed soup, not low fat
- 2.5 c broth beef or chicken, use water or vegetable broth for vegetarian dish
- 1 c rice long grain white rice, NOT instant, uncooked
- 3/4 c cheese shredded, optional
- 1 c chicken precooked, diced, optional add in
- Add quartered mushrooms, prepared green beans as directed above, diced onion, garlic salt and some salt and pepper to taste (I just use a pinch of each).
- In a bowl whisk together your can of cream of mushroom soup with your broth or water. Pour this into your pot.
- Sprinkle uncooked long grain rice into your pot on top but do NOT stir.
- Gently press rice down so it is submerged into the liquid. Put lid on and close steam valve.
- Set to high pressure for 9 minutes. Then allow pot to naturally release steam for 2 minutes at end. Release remaining steam and lift lid.
- Stir contents and serve, or better yet sprinkle in cheese and stir so that melts. If you want to add precooked diced chicken add that in now, stir and put lid back on for 3-5 minutes so it all heats together.
- Serve as a main dish or side dish with a protein.