Easy Instant Pot taco casserole recipe that is full of flavor and lots of cheese! Stir in a spoonful of sour cream for a creamy pressure cooker taco pasta made in just 10 minutes. Your whole family will surely love this flavorful dinner and it’s delicious the next day if you have leftovers.
This Instant Pot taco casserole was created with ground beef and items I had in my pantry! I honestly couldn’t believe how tasty it came out, especially since I made it on the fly but even my kids gave it 2 thumbs up!! One of our favorite Instant Pot recipes for sure. (originally published 3/19, affiliate links present)
- Before I added all the cheese and sour cream I scooped a portion out for my husband who needed a dairy free Instant Pot recipe.
- He even said without cheese (the best parts if you ask me) it was still packed with flavor.
If you love taco pasta you are going to love this 3 minute pressure cooker version for sure. It’s one of our favorite Instant Pot casseroles. 😉
On to this amazing Instant Pot cheesy taco pasta recipe!
This is one of our cheap Instant Pot recipes because you can make this Instant Pot taco casserole for about $15 or less and feeds 5-6 people! It’s done in under 20 minutes too.
You can choose any type of small pasta. If you like elbow macaroni noodles then use those, we chose rotini which are this fun spirally shape that the kids like.
Honestly I just used what was in the cupboard to make this Instant Pot taco pasta, love that.
At the end I put a dollop of sour cream and more cheddar cheese on top. Sometimes I stir in the sour cream but it depends on whether everyone wants it included in their bowl.
Totally up to you but I like it creamy taco pasta style personally.
You only need a few ingredients to make this easy pressure cooker taco pasta
- Instant Pot – this is the 1 I have, I suggest getting this non stick pot to avoid burn notices now and in the future too
- Ground beef
- 80/20 hamburger is just fine
- or ground turkey could be used
- I don’t drain it but you can if you choose to
- Small noodles
- we used rotini
- you could use any small/medium pasta shells
- Shredded cheese
- I like Mexican blend cheese that is already shredded
- Diced tomatoes – I like petite tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Beef broth
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Can of diced green chiles is a good additional add in too
You can use your Ninja Foodi to make this too, either pot works. Directions are the same as below.
If you don’t have a taco seasoning packet then just add (I didn’t have one and this is what I used)
- 1.5 tsp of:
- Lawry’s seasoning salt
- Garlic salt
- Chili powder
Here are the steps to follow:
- Turn your pot to saute and add your olive oil, hamburger and diced onions.
- Cook until ground beef is no longer pink, stir in taco seasoning packet, then turn off.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and beef broth, do not stir.
- Sprinkle in uncooked pasta and gently submerge into the liquid, do not stir.
- Seal pressure cooking lid and set to high pressure for 3 minutes followed by a quick release.
- 2 minutes cooking time if you like your noodles al dente
- Remove the lid and stir contents. Then sprinkle cheese on top and put lid back on ajar so it can melt and dish can thicken for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream if you want it in the whole dish, or serve with a dollop on top of each bowl with a side of tortilla chips or corn tortillas.
And in case you are starting with Instant Pot frozen ground beef, here’s how to thaw it out.
You could make a variation of chicken taco pasta by stirring in some precooked rotisserie chicken diced up at the end before you sprinkle on the cheese. This will give it time to warm up.
After you make this be sure to try some of our other Instant Pot pasta dishes our kids love:
- Instant Pot sloppy joe casserole is something new to try, creamy like this one too if you add sour cream
- Add hot cheesy chicken parmesan casserole to the list for next week, it’s always a winner for dinner
- I’d try this Instant Pot enchilada casserole next if you love Mexican style recipes
- Our chicken taco bowls are great if you’re looking for a healthier option
Here’s a video showing you how I make it:
Jump to recipe card below now! It does include nutritional information, calories and saturated fat listed. Just enjoy it though, and sign up for my newsletter to get more recipes via. email in the future.
Instant Pot Taco Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1.5 tsp seasoned salt I use Lawry's (if using 1 taco seasoning packet then skip these seasonings and just add that)
- 1.5 garlic salt
- 1-2 tsp chili powder depending on spice level
- 14.5 diced tomatoes petite diced is best
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 3/4 c beef broth
- 2 c noodles small, we used rotini
- 1.5-2 c cheese Mexican blend shredded is best
- 1/2 c sour cream optional
- Put your Instant Pot on saute and add your olive oil, ground beef, spices (or taco seasoning packet) and diced onions. Brown meat until pink is gone. Turn pressure cooker off. Can drain if you desire, or not.
- Pour in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and beef broth, do not stir.
- Pour in uncooked noodles and gently press down so they are submerged into the liquid, do not stir.
- Put lid on Instant Pot and close steam valve.
- Set to pressure high for 3 minutes.
- Do a quick release.
- Sprinkle 1.5 c cheese on top and put lid back on to warm cheese and allow to melt for at least 5 minutes, 10 is better to allow sauce to thicken as well.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top or put 1/2 c. sour cream into pot and stir for a creamy taco casserole style meal! Will thicken more upon standing.