Easy Instant Pot taco casserole pasta recipe that is full of flavor and lots of cheese! Stir in a spoonful of sour cream for a creamy pressure cooker taco pasta made in just 10 minutes. Your whole family will surely love this flavorful dinner and it’s delicious the next day if you have leftovers.
This Instant Pot taco casserole was created with ground beef and items I had in my pantry! I honestly couldn’t believe how tasty it came out, especially since I made it on the fly but even my kids gave it 2 thumbs up!! One of our favorite Instant Pot recipes for sure. (originally published 3/19, affiliate links present)
Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta
Before I added all the cheese and sour cream I scooped a portion out for my husband who needed a dairy free Instant Pot recipe. You can make this as an easy Ninja Foodi recipe too or in your Crockpot Express.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
He even said without cheese (the best parts if you ask me) it was still packed with flavor. You can use any shape of noodles you like, or whatever is cheap is what I do.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Instant Pot Taco Pasta
If you love pasta recipes you are going to love this 3 minute pressure cooker version for sure. It’s one of our favorite Instant Pot casseroles. 😉 You can surely just jump to recipe below but I did do a pretty lengthy step by step video you can watch so you don’t miss a beat. If you want to take this over the top use spicy sausage.
- If you’re concerned it might be too hot add 1/2 lb. ground beef and 1/2 pound of spicy ground sausage.
I am telling you that is the best combination that we have found. It adds just a bit of saturated fat but the flavors with just that added bit make it out of this world amazing to eat.
This is one of our cheap Instant Pot recipes because you can make this Instant Pot taco casserole for about $15 or less and feeds 5-6 people! It’s done in under 20 minutes too.
Instant Pot Taco Pasta
You can choose any type of small pasta. If you like elbow macaroni noodles then use those, we chose rotini which are this fun spirally shape that the kids like. At the end I put a dollop of sour cream and more cheddar cheese on top.
Sometimes I stir in the sour cream but it depends on whether everyone wants it included in their bowl. Totally up to you but I like it creamy taco pasta style personally.
Pressure Cooker Taco Pasta
- Instant Pot – this is the 1 I have, I suggest getting a non stick pot to avoid burn notices now and in the future too
- Ground beef
- 80/20 hamburger is just fine
- or ground turkey could be used
- I don’t drain it but you can if you choose to
- Small noodles
- we used rotini
- you could use any small/medium pasta shells
Let’s be honest, I buy what’s on sale y’all. 😉
- Shredded cheese
- I like Mexican blend cheese that is already shredded
- Diced tomatoes – I like petite tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Beef broth
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Can of diced green chiles is a good additional add in too
You can use your Ninja Foodi to make this too, either pot works. Directions are the same as below.
Instant Pot Mexican Pasta
If you don’t have a taco seasoning packet then just add (I didn’t have one and this is what I used)
- 1.5 tsp of:
- Lawry’s seasoning salt
- Garlic salt
- Chili powder
Here are the steps to follow:
- Turn your pot to saute and add your olive oil, hamburger and diced onions.
- Cook until ground beef is no longer pink, stir in taco seasoning packet, then turn off.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and beef broth, do not stir.
- Sprinkle in uncooked pasta and gently submerge into the liquid, do not stir.
- Seal pressure cooking lid and set to high pressure for 3 minutes followed by a quick release.
- 2 minutes cooking time if you like your noodles al dente
- Remove the lid and stir contents. Then sprinkle cheese on top and put lid back on ajar so it can melt and dish can thicken for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream if you want it in the whole dish, or serve with a dollop on top of each bowl with a side of tortilla chips or corn tortillas.
And in case you are starting with Instant Pot frozen ground beef, here’s how to thaw it out.
Taco Pasta Recipe
You could make a variation of chicken taco pasta by stirring in some precooked rotisserie / leftover chicken diced up at the end before you sprinkle on the cheese. This will give it time to warm up. I hate wasting any food so I do this if that is the protein I have on hand that needs to be used up. Know what I mean. 😉
After you make this be sure to try some of our other Instant Pot pasta dishes our kids love:
- Instant Pot sloppy joe casserole is something new to try, creamy like this one too if you add sour cream
- Add hot cheesy chicken parmesan casserole to the list for next week, it’s always a winner for dinner
- I’d try this Instant Pot enchilada casserole next if you love Mexican style recipes
- Our chicken taco bowls are great if you’re looking for a healthier option
There’s a video in this postshowing you how I make it: Feel free to print the recipe below and keep it with your other favorite recipes. OR just come back and visit us every time you need the ingredients and step by step. We love “seeing you” so there’s that. 😉
Sure to be your family’s next favorite meal ever, let us know what you think below once you enjoy a bowl yourself.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Instant Pot Taco Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1.5 tsp seasoned salt I use Lawry’s (if using 1 taco seasoning packet then skip these seasonings and just add that)
- 1.5 garlic salt
- 1-2 tsp chili powder depending on spice level
- 14.5 diced tomatoes petite diced is best
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 3/4 c beef broth
- 2 c noodles small, we used rotini
- 1.5-2 c cheese Mexican blend shredded is best
- 1/2 c sour cream optional
- Put your Instant Pot on saute and add your olive oil, ground beef, spices (or taco seasoning packet) and diced onions. Brown meat until pink is gone. Turn pressure cooker off. Can drain if you desire, or not.
- Pour in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and beef broth, do not stir.
- Pour in uncooked noodles and gently press down so they are submerged into the liquid, do not stir.
- Put lid on Instant Pot and close steam valve.
- Set to pressure high for 3 minutes.
- Do a quick release.
- Sprinkle 1.5 c cheese on top and put lid back on to warm cheese and allow to melt for at least 5 minutes, 10 is better to allow sauce to thicken as well.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top or put 1/2 c. sour cream into pot and stir for a creamy taco casserole style meal! Will thicken more upon standing.