This homemade pressure cooker sausage soup is packed with flavor and can be made with or without kale. Using canned or dry beans it’s the perfect dinner made in your Instant Pot, Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi.
Are you ready for some more easy Instant Pot recipes to cook this week? I use mine almost daily. It’s the winter months now so I am focused on soup for dinner and eating healthier. I still want a ton of flavor though! Today we made this pressure cooker sausage soup with kale and it was so delicious! Special thanks goes out to Albertsons on Broadway for sponsoring this post so we could share our easy pressure cooker recipe with you.
I used dry beans that were cooked to tender perfection in an hour. Grabbed some fresh kale from the produce department and I was ready. It was a bite of comfort food that we’ll make over and over again
I went shopping today at Albertsons on Broadway in Boise to grab a few items for dinner tonight and tomorrow night. They also had a healthy eating event there which meant there were lots of samples to taste!!
Pressure cooker sausage soup and Instant Pot spaghetti were on the menu this week so I headed for Signature Select ingredients!
One thing I love about making Instant Pot soup recipes is that it takes a fraction of the time to meld all those wonderful flavors together. And starting with dry beans is no problem at all!
Have you used your pressure cooker to turn dry beans into tender beans in just about an hour yet??!!
NO soaking required anymore if you have this fancy multi cooker.
Here are a few dry bean pressure cooker recipes we’ve made so far, this one is yet another:
- Pressure cooker bean soup
- Healthy Instant Pot split pea soup recipe
- Instant Pot beans and franks is always a kid fave
- Tasty Pressure cooker ham and beans uses the same Signature Select Great Northern Beans you see here
- NO soak Instant Pot baked beans
And if you just love sausage and ground sausage like we used here you’ll appreciate our roundup of easy Instant Pot sausage recipes too.
Here’s what our sausage soup looked like once it was done!
What are your thoughts on kale soup? I mean, kale added into your soup recipe?
If you’ve never tried it I encourage you to put a bit into this recipe and give it a real try. You have the ability to add time so that it is very tender, or a bit less time so it adds to the texture of the sausage soup recipe.
- We enjoy kale in soup (even my kids) as well as making other easy kale recipes like our easy kale chips recipe!!
- You can make just pressure cooker kale as a side dish too, it’s very versatile.
Of course you can omit it all together but it’s always good to try things over and over again as you might love it as an adult like I do.
This is what you need to grab at Albertsons to make our easy pressure cooker sausage soup recipe
- 1 bag Signature Select Northern Beans – or 16 oz. canned if you want to make this quicker
- Chicken broth
- Ground sausage
- Crushed tomatoes
- Fresh kale
- Parmesan cheese – optional, to top when done
- Salt to taste
When I was creating this recipe I used my printable Instant Pot cooking times for beans in order to gauge how long Northern beans would take to get tender, it really doesn’t take long and it’s better to use dry beans in my opinion if you have a little time.
- Either way it is amazing
Directions for pressure cooker sausage soup in the Ninja Foodi
- I used canned beans and skipped step one
- Follow below instructions and add necessary ingredients into inner pot
- Close your pressure cooker lid, one that isn’t attached, and steam valve
- Turn Ninja Foodi pressure cooker on (bottom right button)
- Press pressure button (will auto set to high temp.)
- Set time for 10 minutes
- Press start
- Do a quick release
Here’s the printable recipe for homemade Crockpot Express or Instant Pot sausage soup.
Pressure Cooker Sausage Soup
- 1 lb sausage roll, spicy variety is great
- 1/2 onion diced
- 16 oz Northern beans dry or canned can be used
- 6 c water if using dry beans this is necessary
- 4 c chicken broth
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes I used canned
- 1 tbsp garlic I used minced, jarred
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese for topping, optional
- 3 c kale fresh, cut into chunks
- If using dry Northern beans put them in your Instant Pot with 6 c. water and set to the bean setting for 60 minutes, do a quick release, drain and set aside. If you're using canned you can skip this step, I used dry beans myself.
- Set your pressure cooker to saute and add a bit of olive oil, your sausage and diced onion. Cook until sausage is no longer pink. Turn pot OFF/Cancel.
- Add spices and mix with meat and onions.
- Pour in can of crushed tomatoes, beans either canned or dry (that you "cooked" earlier and drained), and chicken broth. Stir.
- Cut stem off fresh kale and cut into chunks (2x2" or so).
- Put into pressure cooker and push down into the liquid, gently mix a bit so they are submerged. Close lid and steam valve.
- Set Instant Pot to high pressure for 10 minutes (8 minutes if you want your kale to have a bit of "bite" to it and not be super soft).
- Do a quick release and can serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top if desired.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉