This Instant Pot barley soup with ham is a tasty healthy dinner idea we all loved. Using uncooked barley and leftover ham we packed it with vegetables too.
I am back adding this easy Instant Pot barley soup to my long list of 101+ easy Instant Pot recipes page today! I love using my pressure cooker to cook dry beans and grains because there is no soaking required and they come out so tender in no time at all! I have to be honest, I had never cooked barley before but I had it in soups at restaurants and it was delicious so I thought I’d give it a whirl with the ham hock I had.
If it’s around the holidays you are probably looking for some leftover ham recipes and this is a great one, though we have a bunch because I hate wasting food!
If you just have a ham hock you can use that too like I did here, either way just throw it in and go really with easy Instant Pot soup recipes like this one.
I will show you here the basic steps for making our Instant Pot barley soup
- I put my ham hock in the center
- Sprinkled my uncooked pearled barley around it
- Added a sliced onion
- Chopped baby carrots in half and threw those in (you could cut regular carrots into large chunks too but that is what I had on hand)
- Poured my broth in
- Closed the lid and walked away!
Perfection I tell you when it was done!
Since I used a ham hock and not leftover ham I removed it when the time was up and separated the bones and fat from the meat, then put the meat (chopped up) back into the soup before serving.
If your ham was already off the bone you could dice it up and throw it in initially avoiding the separating process later. However….I will say using a ham hock gave this Instant Pot barley soup a lot more flavor than if I had just used diced ham in my opinion.
This piece of the ham tends to have tons of flavor and seeps out into the soup when it is under pressure cooking, but it is up to you.
Why pressure cooker soups are better than on the stovetop?
- The pressure lends soup a lot more flavor
- Soup cooks fast without having to watch a pot on the stove
- You do not have to soak dry beans or grains
This is what you’ll need to make this easy Instant Pot barley soup recipe
- Ham hock – or diced leftover ham
- Pearled barley
- Broth – I used vegetable broth, you could opt for beef for a richer flavor
If you love pressure cooker soups here are a few others you might enjoy
- Instant Pot split pea soup
- Instant Pot nacho soup
- Instant Pot minestrone soup
- Pressure cooker french onion soup
Here’s the printable recipe too.
Instant Pot Barley Soup
- 1 ham hock omit if making vegetarian barley soup
- 1 c pearled barley uncooked
- 2 c carrots I sliced baby carrots in half
- 1 medium onion diced
- 40 oz broth I used vegetable broth, could use beef
- Place your ham hock in the middle of your Instant Pot.
- Add all vegetables and cup of uncooked pearled barley around ham hock, then pour broth in.
- Close your lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Lift lid and remove ham hock. On a cutting board remove all bones and fat and dice meat up. Pour cut up meat from ham hock back into your Instant Pot and stir.
- Serve!I did not add any salt or seasonings because the flavors in the ham hock permeated the soup and gave it a wonderful flavor, it didn't need anything else at all as far as we were concerned.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉