Easiest pressure cooker french onion soup topped with french bread and cheese! Done in just 3 minutes in your Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi, you’ll love it.
5 basic ingredients is all you need to make this easy french onion soup recipe. Better yet if you make it in your Instant Pot it just takes 3 minutes to cook! Brown some cheese and french bread on top and add a few more minutes but literally you’ll have the best pressure cooker french onion soup on the table in under 15 minutes total which is amazing! One of our favorite soup Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom for you to enjoy. (originally published 9/18, affiliate links present)
I hadn’t had french onion soup in forever and I had never made it myself if you can believe that.
The basic ingredients were pretty obvious. Now I just had to figure out how much of each I wanted to add to perfect some pressure cooker french onion soup in my Instant Pot.
Plus I tested how long it would take for my onions to be perfect. I made it twice.
- First time – caramelizing the onions with butter on saute first
- Second time – skipping that step and just cooking onions in the broth
- Both were good
Here is the base of our pressure cooker french onion soup but if you have had this soup before you know it is kinda’ all about the toppings.
- Day old french bread (best) and lots of cheese are key to the yumminess, and I decided to dice some green onions as well.
I decided to also add a bit of parmesan into my mixture of shredded cheese for a little added punch of flavor and I was glad I did…..it turned out amazing!!
Look at this cheap Instant Pot recipe!!!
I have a countertop toaster oven/air fryer/convection oven which I love so I spooned my soup into an oven safe dish. Then put bread & cheese on top. It took about 4 minutes before cheese is melted to perfection.
Then I ate it for lunch immediately!
- Even my 10 year old who had never tried this type of soup loved it…now that is a win!
Pressure cooking a vegetarian french onion soup is possible too if you use vegetable broth.
This is what you need to make our easy pressure cooker french onion soup
- Beef broth
- Yellow onions
- Worcestershire sauce
- Thyme, salt and pepper
- Day old french bread or baguette slices, 1 per bowl
- Cheese on top – gruyere is traditionally used
- Oven safe bowls
Here’s a video showing you how we make Instant Pot French onion soup
- If you have a bit more time you can add the onions first with your butter
- Set on saute low
- and any spices you’d want
- allow them to cook down and caramelize a bit
- Then turn pot off and move to step 2 below, both ways are great.
Pressure Cooker French Onion Soup
- Set your Instant Pot to saute and melt your butter, then add onions at this time and caramelize them a bit. Then turn your pot off.
- Add salt, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and beef broth.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to pressure high for 3 minutes.
- Do a quick release.
- Can serve immediately with bread on the side, or melt cheese on slices of french bread and serve on the side or put 1-2 pcs of french bread on top of soup with cheese on top, then put inside an oven safe bowl and put under the broiler for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and serve.
You can make it in your Crockpot Express and Ninja Foodi too if you want.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉