I’ve got the easiest pressure cooker french onion soup topped with french bread and cheese for you! Done in just 3 minutes in your Instant Pot.
5 basic ingredients is all you need to make this easy french onion soup recipe but better yet if you make it in your Instant Pot it just takes 3 minutes to cook! Brown some cheese and french bread on top and add a few more minutes but literally you’ll have the best pressure cooker french onion soup on the table in under 15 minutes total which is amazing! One of our favorite soup Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom for you to enjoy.
I hadn’t had french onion soup in forever and I had never made it myself if you can believe that.
I knew the basic ingredients in it, I just had to figure out how much of each thing I wanted to add into my Instant Pot and how long I thought it would take for my onions to be perfect…not too soft.
It came out perfectly the first time around (doesn’t always happen that way)……..
Here is the base of our pressure cooker french onion soup but if you have had this soup before you know it is kinda’ all about the toppings.
Day old french bread (best) and shredded mozzarella are key to the yumminess, and I decided to dice some green onions as well.
I decided to also add a bit of parmesan into my mixture of shredded cheese for a little added punch of flavor and I was glad I did…..it turned out amazing!!
I have a countertop toaster oven/air fryer/convection oven which I love so I spooned my soup into an oven safe dish, put bread on top with my cheese and it took about 4 minutes to lightly brown as you see here.
Then I ate it for lunch immediately!
Even my 10 year old who had never tried this type of soup loved it…now that is a win!
If you want to make a vegetarian french onion soup you can just substitute the broth to vegetable broth and you’ll be set.
This is what you need to make our easy pressure cooker french onion soup
- Beef broth
- Onions – yellow
- Day old french bread
- Mozzarella cheese – a bit of parmesan is great too
- Oven safe bowls
Here’s a video showing you how we make it in our Instant Pot
- If you have a bit more time you can add the onions first with your butter, on saute low, and any spices you’d want and allow them to cook down and caramelize a bit.
- Then turn pot off and move to step 2 below…….both ways are great.
Pressure Cooker French Onion Soup
- 3 onions sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp worchestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp thyme
- 32 oz beef broth
- 3/4 c mozzarella cheese shredded, for top - use whatever type of cheese you like, (gruyere is traditionally used)this is what we use
- 1 loaf french bread day old, sliced
- 1/4 c green onions diced, optional
- Set your Instant Pot to saute and melt your butter, then turn pot off. (can add onions at this time and carmelize them a bit if you have a bit more time)
- Add in your sliced onions, salt, W. sauce, thyme and beef broth.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to pressure high for 3 minutes.
- Do a quick release.
- Can serve immediately with bread on the side, or melt cheese on slices of french bread and serve on the side or put 1-2 pcs of french bread on top of soup inside an oven safe bowl and put under the broiler for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and serve.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉