This easy crockpot french onion soup recipe takes just 10 minutes to prepare! The cheapest slow cooker soup that tastes amazing and only needs a few ingredients to make. Let it cook by itself all day and have a complete comfort food dinner ready in the evening. Rich french onion smothered in cheese is the best.
Ok so I’m busy and make a lot of easy crockpot recipes for dinner, and this easy crockpot french onion soup recipe is one of our favorite ones. For one thing I work full time and juggle 3 kids as well so spending more than 30 minutes in the kitchen preparing food just is not going to happen. Another thing, I’m cheap. Ok you can call it frugal but whatever. I love making really cheap meals that everyone loves and it cooks by itself with just a little prep work from me. Bonus. Last but not least I HATE turning on my oven during the summertime. (originally published 2/18)
Where we used to live it got to 114 in the summertime and so there was no way I was paying more for air conditioning just because I wanted to make dinner.
For those reasons I rely on my slow cooker and Instant Pot pretty much nightly, unless we’re having “whatever you want nights” which does happen when I’m just exhausted.
If you’ve never had french onion soup it’s amazing, if you’ve had it but never thought of making it yourself at home it is the simplest soup ever to make and you only need a few ingredients to boot.
This is what you’ll need to make this easy crockpot french onion soup recipe
- Onions – duhhhh, opt for yellow onions
- Beef broth
- French bread – day old is best
- Oven safe bowls
Seriously, that is it.
So one thing you will need for finalizing this soup are oven safe bowls. If you want the traditional ooey gooey cheesy bread on top thee are a must and not really expensive.
Of course you could serve the soup as is out of your crockpot with a side of bread sliced, topped with cheese and baked on a cookie sheet (when all else fails yes this will work) but having a little soak on the bread with this flavorful broth is part of the yumminess so I recommend grabbing a few, you can reuse them for many other recipes.
Here’s the printable recipe for this easy crockpot french onion soup
Easy Crockpot French Onion Soup
- 4 yellow onions large, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 6 c beef broth
- 1 loaf french bread day old
- 2 c mozzarella cheese and parmesan, a mix is good
- Slice your yellow onions into rather thick / wide slices. Set aside
- Turn crockpot on high and add onions inside spread out.
- Add salt, beef broth, butter, pepper, worces. sauce and thyme.
- Cook oh high for 7-8 hours or until it turns a darker brown color.
- Get bowls that can be placed into the oven ready and fill them 3/4 full with soup from your slow cooker.
- Preheat broiler to high or around 350 degrees.
- Put a thick slice of your day old bread on top of each bowl of soup, cover the bread with a mixture of mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Put under broiler until cheese is melted and golden brown color, maybe 3-4 minutes.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉