This is how to make slime without glue! Looking for a safe slime recipe that has no borax or chemicals, well this is it and it is fun for kids to make!
Ok so slime is still all the rage in my house anyway with my youngest daughter. She is always coming up with the best slime recipes but I challenged her the other day to come up with how to make slime without glue and she came up with two ways! (originally published 8/18, affiliate links present)
DIY Slime Without Glue
- You can call them slime, dough or putty but in any way they were fun for her to make, safe as well, and she played with them when they were done for quite a while.
I honestly think she, and others, enjoy the making slime process more than playing with the end result.
It’s the experimenting and science of it all that intrigues her and I like that, especially when she can come up with a no chemical slime such as this one.
Here’s how she did it and……
Here’s a video showing you how to make both of these no glue slime recipes:
Slime without Glue
She explains how to do it in the video but I have written directions listed as well below. If you have been hesitant to let your children make slime because most have chemicals in them this is a fun one to let them make since there is no borax inside.
As you can see, my youngest here really enjoys creating this stuff all the time. I don’t really want to always be by her side but with some of the recipes I have to. The safer the better for me, and probably you too. What’s the second issue? White glue is not cheap, colored isn’t either.
When this was at the height of popularity a gallon was like fifty bucks, and that wasn’t going to happen. When that was the case she got really creative when we would visit the Dollar Store. She would search around for something that might be able to make some sort of stickiness or diy silly putty to play with.
Here are a few she created that might be a hit at your house as well.
Like she said there are two different ways to make slime without glue or borax.
No glue slime ingredients using blue tac
- Knead the slime together using blue tac and soap
- adding 1/2-1 squirt at a time
- knead together until desired texture is achieved
- add small amounts of soap at a time to make it smoother
No glue slime that is similar to a dough
- Add corn starch to a bowl
- Then 1 pump of hair conditioner at a time and stir
- Pump more in and knead when stiffer
- Add a bit more at a time and knead until desired consistency is achieved
- You can add drops of food coloring if you want too
If you’re looking for other safe slime recipes here are some:
- Edible slime is all the rage and totally safe to put in their mouths
- Easy baking soda slime is simple
No Glue Slime
And then we have a recipe for a traditional slime that is a glue based slime but it is free from borax slime. The recipe calls for what you likely have in your cabinets, shaving cream! It makes for a real fluffy slime because of it which means it is a bit messy but safer than others.
Try them all and see which you love better. As always with children, especially in elementary school, you should always be with them. Even something as safe as creams and lotions shouldn’t be consumed. Use play mats to protect your tables and countertops as well and I like plastic bowls and spoons so it can all be thrown away.
That is helpful since you don’t really want inedible items being mixed in your salad bowls as they don’t always come clean, definitely not safe to eat in clean. You can find cheap utensils and things at the dollar store and just stock up so they know that is there for their experiments.
Have a glue without slime recipe that has worked well for you that you’d like to share? Let us know below.
Slime Without Glue
- 1 Blue tac or mounting putty
- 1 Hand soap
- 1 piece mounting putty
- 1-3 squirts hand soap
- Stretch out mounting putty and squirt 1 time into the middle. Use hands to fold and stretch it until it loosens up.
- Add 1 more squirt of hand soap and continue kneading. Continue this process until it reaches the consistency you would like to play with.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!