If you’re wondering how to make edible slime you only really need 3 ingredients! This is an easy and safe slime recipe that you can eat and tastes great. Let your children create this one on their own and after some sticky fun they can have a treat when they’re done. Best edible slime recipe ever.
So my youngest here is a bit obsessed with making slime! With just 3 simple and safe ingredients we came up with an easy way on how to make edible slime we want to share with you! We have many more listed on the best way to make slime page on our site too! (originally published 7/17, affiliate links present)
How to Make Edible Slime without Marshmallows
We started this whole fun quest and experimenting with our very popular laundry detergent slime recipe. That one definitely needs help from the parents because it has chemicals in it. This one needs a little watchful eye because the ingredients get hot but otherwise is safe for kids to make with you!
Are your kids into slime too?? Of course you can buy it but seriously that can get expensive. And really half the fun for her is making it herself and knowing “I did it!”. Anything you can play with and then eat is fun like our 2 recipes for edible playdough we made a few years ago.
There are tons of recipes out there for edible slime but I didn’t want to use the stovetop because I wanted her to be able to make it herself. She is 9 so using the microwave is okay so we started with small amounts of times and used gummy bears. I figured those would melt easier and wouldn’t be as gummy as some other suggestions out there.
Edible Slime with Gummy Bears
As always you should be present when your child experiments and present when they are using the microwave in case it gets too hot. It still has the possibility of burning if they cook it too long so always read our safety disclaimer before starting any slime recipe.
- Gummy bears
- Powdered sugar
- Corn starch
- Paper bowl & plate – easier to throw out and not clean up stickiness (don’t use foam or plastic, they’ll melt)
- Disposable spoon
Now I will start by saying that even though you/they are only using the microwave the gummy bears do come out quite hot. So children of all ages need to be supervised with making this recipe and others.
How to Make Edible Slime with Cornstarch
There aren’t EXACT measurements for this (it’s all about creating), but generally these are the measurements we used for this edible slime batch you see here.
Generally the measurements above will get it to the right consistency. You may need/want a bit more of either ingredient to get it there.
How to Make Edible Slime
- 1 Bowl
- 1 Spoon
- First put your gummy bears in a bowl. You want to microwave gummy bears in 10 second increments stirring in between until they are a thick liquid. Carefully remove and add your corn starch and 1 tsp of powdered sugar.
- Continue adding 1 tsp. of sugar at a time stirring every time you add more until it becomes less sticky and cools down.
- Continue stirring the mixture. Stop once you reach the consistency you think will be good. Allow it to cool down enough to pick it up and knead it, this may take a while but keep an eye on it so it doesn't harden into a big ball.
- Once cooled, sprinkle powdered sugar on to your paper plate and dump edible slime on to plate or play mat. Knead and play with it as you see her doing. The powdered sugar will help prevent sticking but make sure they aren't wearing really nice clothing when making this in case it gets on it, doesn't come off well.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!