Instant Pot salisbury steak is so moist and flavorful! Serve it over mashed potatoes or noodles with a mushroom gravy on top for the ultimate comfort food.
Have you tried Instant Pot salisbury steak yet??!! It comes out moist and flavorful with a rich gravy and will definitely become your new family favorite dinner. Give it a whirl and then try one of our other 101+ Instant Pot recipes that are quick, easy, and cheap too.
Why is salisbury steak called salisbury?
- Salisbury steak is basically a fancy hamburger. It’s said to be named after James Henry Salisbury, a doctor known for his comments on diets and nutrition.
Whatever you call it, it’s just so YUMMY!
This is what you’ll need to make our Instant Pot salisbury steak recipe:
- Ground beef
- Bread crumbs
- Onion and mushrooms
- Beef broth
- some like to add some red wine too
- Corn starch to thicken gravy
- Worcestershire sauce
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
If you have your own favorite meatloaf recipe you can refer to that to make your patties.
What is the difference between salisbury steak and hamburger steak?
A hamburger will be plain ground beef with only salt & pepper. A Salisbury steak might include minced onion or green pepper and more seasonings. It’s typically served on its own or on top of mashed potatoes vs. on bread or a roll.
- You can really call it whatever you want but this is the traditional definition.
Another difference to me is that it’s kinda’ fall apart tender which I love, and SMOTHERED with a flavorful mushroom filled sauce.
Hamburgers will typically stay together in 1 piece so you can throw it on a bun but these may fall apart. AND that is great!! We’re not going for looks here, pure comfort food is what we’re going for. 😉
What type of meat is salisbury steak?
No, it’s not actually a steak. It is made of hamburger meat with seasonings. I typically make a version of my own meatloaf recipe and then take it to another level from there in my pressure cooker.
- Yes you can make this in your Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi pot as well. They are all very similar and the instructions below will be easy to follow no matter what model you have.
Basic steps to follow when making this Instant Pot salisbury steak recipe:
- Add some olive oil and your prepared patties to your pressure cooker on saute.
- Brown the patties and then remove from pot
- Deglaze your pot to remove brown bits from bottom now to avoid burn notice.
- Use a bit of your broth to do this.
- Put mushrooms, onions and seasonings into your pot. Cook until onions soften and then turn pot off. Add rest of broth now. Stir.
- Place patties back into pot carefully and set to high pressure.
- When done pressure cooking do a quick release and put patties on plates.
- Set pot to saute again and whisk cornstarch and cold water together until smooth, add to pot to thicken gravy.
- Pour this over your patties and serve with Instant Pot mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
What goes good with salisbury steak?
- More vegetables always work
- Pull apart bread
- Easy rolls
- 1/2 cup of fried onions on top brings this over the top!
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
- Combine the ground beef with the garlic salt, black pepper, breadcrumbs and egg. Mix
until everything is throughly combined. Divide into 4 even sized portions then
shape into 4 patties
- Set the pressure cooker to saute, add the oil, then place the patties inside. Sauté for 5 minutes. Carefully flip over and sauté for about another 5 minutes so outsides are no longer pink. Carefully remove the patties and set aside. Add a bit of your broth and deglaze your pot now.
- Add the onion and sauté until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes making sure to stir often. Next add the mushroom slices and also sprinkle in a pinch of salt and black pepper, sauté for 4 minutes while stirring often.
- Turn pot off. Then pour in remaining broth and the Worcestershire sauce and give the ingredients a good stir. At this time taste the broth mixture and if needed add salt to taste.
- Place the patties back into the pot, careful as to not break them. Then put the lid on the pressure cooker, set to high pressure for 15 minutes. Once
cooking time is finished do a quick release
Carefully remove the patties and set aside. Mix the cornstarch with the water
until you have a smooth mixture. Turn pressure cooker to saute, then pour in the cornstarch mix and stir until well combined. Simmer until the broth has a gravy consistency, then cancel sauté function.
- Serve meat on top of mashed potatoes or butter noodles with a drizzle of the gravy inside your pot.