Instant Pot salisbury steak is so moist and flavorful! Serve it over mashed potatoes or noodles with a mushroom gravy on top for the ultimate comfort food. Use ground beef, your own quick meatloaf recipe or cube steak for this one.
Works well in any pressure cooker including your Ninja Foodi for dinner any night of the week. Spoon that thick gravy over the top and get to enjoying this fast one pot meal.
Have you tried Instant Pot salisbury steak yet?! It comes out moist and flavorful with a rich gravy. It will definitely become your new family favorite dinner. One more of our easy Instant Pot recipes that are quick, easy, and cheap too. (originally published 9/19, affiliate links present)
Ground Beef Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
That is right, there are a few meats you can use to make this but hamburger is where it’s at for us, all the way. You will want a bit of fat to them so your patties will stay together in your pot and not break apart too much. They will be smothered in sauce though and are meant to just melt in your mouth so don’t worry too much about that.
You may know this but it doesn’t matter what brand you have at home. Yes this says IP but it makes a great Crockpot Express recipe and in a Ninja Foodi too. You would use the lid that isn’t attached and the pressure cook button on that one.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
- This is a great InstaPot cookbook and a set of wooden utensils are great to grab too.
- I HIGHLY recommend you buy this non stick pot.
- You should still deglaze pressure cooker after sautéing but it won’t have as many issues with this better liner.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Talk about pure comfort food. I’m thinking if you’re around my age you had it growing up. Either your grandparents or parents made this as often as they did meatloaf in your house. Smothered with rich gravy it’s packed with flavor, and you can choose which side is your favorite. Rice or pasta are typically our choices.
Even though the word steak is in the title it isn’t literally that. I mean not that a t-bone isn’t amazing but this is something different. It’s kinda like chicken fried steak, that isn’t really that if you broke it down, there isn’t any of the first word in it at all.
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak with Cube Steak
Now you could use cube steak if you really didn’t want to use ground meat. It won’t be as fork tender fall apart as the other but if that is what is on sale I get it. No need to precook the protein at first because that cut doesn’t take long.
Why is salisbury steak called salisbury?
Salisbury steak is basically a fancy hamburger. It’s said to be named after James Henry Salisbury, a doctor known for his comments on diets and nutrition. Whatever you call it, it’s just so YUMMY!
- Ground beef
- Bread crumbs
- Onion and mushrooms
- Beef broth
Some like to add some red wine too, or instead of the broth for more flavor.
- Corn starch to thicken gravy
- Worcestershire sauce
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
What is the difference between salisbury steak and hamburger steak?
A hamburger will be plain ground beef with only salt & pepper. A Salisbury steak might include minced onion or green pepper and more seasonings. It’s typically served on its own or on top of mashed potatoes vs. on bread or a roll.
- You can really call it whatever you want but this is the traditional definition.
Another difference to me is that it’s kinda’ fall apart tender which I love, and SMOTHERED with a flavorful mushroom filled sauce.
Hamburgers will typically stay together in 1 piece so you can throw it on a bun but these may fall apart. AND that is great!! We’re not going for looks here, pure comfort food is what we’re going for. 😉
What type of meat is salisbury steak?
No, it’s not actually a steak. It is made of hamburger meat with seasonings. I typically make a version of my own meatloaf recipe and then take it to another level from there in my pressure cooker.
- Yes you can make this in your Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi pot as well. They are all very similar and the instructions below will be easy to follow no matter what model you have.
Instant Pot salisbury steak recipe
- Add some olive oil and your prepared patties to your pressure cooker on saute.
- Brown the patties and then remove from pot
- Deglaze your pot to remove brown bits from bottom now to avoid burn notice.
- Use a bit of your broth to do this.
Put mushrooms, onions and seasonings into your pot. Cook until onions soften and then turn pot off. Add rest of broth now. Stir.
- Place patties back into pot carefully and set to high pressure.
- When done pressure cooking do a quick release and put patties on plates.
- Set pot to saute again and whisk cornstarch and cold water together until smooth, add to pot to thicken gravy.
Pour this over your patties and serve with Instant Pot mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
What goes good with salisbury steak?
I mean y’all anything goes but since there are no veggies in the pot I like to make those on the side because those are a must around here.
- More vegetables always work
- pressure cooker spinach
- Baked potatoes
- air fryer cauliflower
- Pull apart bread
- Easy rolls or make our air fryer garlic bread
Sprinkle 1/2 cup of fried onions on top, or top with caramelized onions. Those bring this over the top!
Salisbury Steak in Instant Pot
When you’re done enjoying this, try steak in an Instant Pot! That too comes out juicy and instead of a trivet we use potatoes to keep it off of the bottom. Everyone fights over those because they’re so good!!
- Combine the ground beef with the garlic salt, black pepper, breadcrumbs and egg. Mix until everything is throughly combined.
- Divide into 4 even sized portions then shape into 4 patties.
- Set the pressure cooker to saute, add the oil, then place the patties inside. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Carefully flip over and sauté for about another 5 minutes so outsides are no longer pink.
- Remove the patties and set aside. Add a bit of your broth and deglaze your pot now.
- Add the onion and sauté until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes making sure to stir often. Next add the mushroom slices and also sprinkle in a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Sauté for 4 minutes while stirring often. Turn pot off.
Then pour in remaining broth and the Worcestershire sauce and give the ingredients a good stir. At this time taste the broth mixture and if needed add salt to taste.
Salisbury Steak Pressure Cooker
Place the patties back into the pot, careful as to not break them. Then put the lid on the pressure cooker, set to high pressure for 15 minutes. Once cooking time is finished do a quick release. Carefully remove the hamburger patties and set aside. Mix the cornstarch with the water until you have a smooth mixture. Turn pressure cooker to saute.
Pour in the cornstarch mix and stir until well combined. Simmer until the broth has a gravy consistency, then cancel sauté function. Serve meat on top of mashed potatoes or butter noodles with a drizzle of the gravy inside your pot. Want another idea to make this week? We have many others under the IP tab on the website to choose from.
Now you could make this same dish in your slow cooker with the same ingredients but that would take a lot longer of course. For that you would saute the patty in a pan on the stove until browned so they stay together. Then proceed with adding gravy and onions and cook on low for 4-6 hours until tender and juicy.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 c Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 c beef broth
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- Combine the ground beef with the garlic salt, black pepper, breadcrumbs and egg. Mix until everything is throughly combined. Divide into 4 even sized portions thenshape into 4 patties
- Set the pressure cooker to saute, add the oil, then place the patties inside. Sauté for 5 minutes. Carefully flip over and sauté for about another 5 minutes so outsides are no longer pink. Carefully remove the patties and set aside. Add a bit of your broth and deglaze your pot now.
- Add the onion and sauté until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes making sure to stir often. Next add the mushroom slices and also sprinkle in a pinch of salt and black pepper, sauté for 4 minutes while stirring often.
- Turn pot off. Then pour in remaining broth and the Worcestershire sauce and give the ingredients a good stir. At this time taste the broth mixture and if needed add salt to taste.
- Place the patties back into the pot, careful as to not break them. Then put the lid on the pressure cooker, set to high pressure for 15 minutes. Once cooking time is finished do a quick release
- Carefully remove the patties and set aside. Mix the cornstarch with the water until you have a smooth mixture. Turn pressure cooker to saute, then pour in the cornstarch mix and stir until well combined. Simmer until the broth has a gravy consistency, then cancel sauté function.
- Serve meat on top of mashed potatoes or butter noodles with a drizzle of the gravy inside your pot.
Wednesday 13th of October 2021
This is great. We have had it several times. Don't change a thing!
The Typical Mom
Sunday 17th of October 2021
Sunday 31st of January 2021
Can you make the patties ahead of time and freeze?
Tuesday 31st of December 2019
The recipe was good and delicious gravy! I added some xanthan gum to the cornstarch mixture because it still wasn't quite thick enough- That made it perfect.
The Typical Mom
Tuesday 31st of December 2019
Yay glad it was a hit!
Tuesday 17th of September 2019
Easy to make. Great dinner. Will make again
The Typical Mom
Wednesday 18th of September 2019
Glad you loved it!