Easy Instant Pot tapioca pudding recipe that takes less than 15 minutes and requires less work than on the stovetop. Great pressure cooker tapioca pudding.
Yes we are back with this easy Instant Pot tapioca pudding recipe, yet another favorite Instant Pot dessert recipe! It came out fabulous and only took about 15 minutes! I grew up with tapioca pudding. It’s now one of our favorites and added to the list Instant Pot recipes with many others you’ve got to try on our site. Let us know what you think! (originally published 2/17, affiliate links present)
- My oldest daughter LOVED our Instant Pot rice pudding!
Then she said we should figure out an easy Instant Pot tapioca pudding recipe too.
Tapioca pudding great either warm or cold in my opinion with just a dash of nutmeg on top. It’s such a simple dessert really and mostly milk so I love that my kids like it (they aren’t big milk drinkers anymore but this is a great way to get some into them).
- If you’ve made tapioca on the stove top you know that it’s really milk, sugar, tapioca and an egg.
Making it in the Instant Pot is no different as far as the ingredients go, just of course the timing, the pan, and what settings to use is what you need to know.
If you’ve heard about Instant Pots but don’t have one yet I share my love for them because it has really made dinnertime much easier in our house, and allowed us to eat together more often (the goal right).
With both of us working full time it’s fabulous to be able to cook what would normally take a an hour or so for less than 20 minutes, seriously!
- There are a few versions but this is the one I have and love.
This is what you need to make this version of pot in pot Instant Pot Tapioca Pudding Recipe (another version below)
There are two ways, PIP (pot in pot) method is below and second way you put directly into your pressure cooker pot:
- Pot for inside your IP to use the PIP (pot in pot) method for this – You MUST use this pot for it to work (sen below)
- 2 3/4 c. Milk
- haven’t tried with coconut milk but should work
- 1 Egg
- 4 Tbsp. Tapioca – use Minute tapioca
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 1/3 c. refined sugar
Directions for Instant Pot tapioca pudding recipe Pot In Pot method:
- Pour 2 c water into your Instant Pot and put a trivet inside
- Add the sugar, vanilla, milk, and Minute tapioca into the BOTTOM of the 2 stackable pots
- Add an egg and whisk together for 1-2 minutes so all of it is combined well & sugar begins to dissolve
- Put the top pot on top of your lower filled pot
- Put the lid on the top pot
- Secure the locking device so both pots are tightly together
- Lower your pot on to your trivet, must be low trivet so lid will shut
- Put your lid on and close your steam valve
- Put your IP on manual, pressure high for 5 minutes.
- Do a natural release for 4 minutes before releasing steam
- Pour Instant Pot tapioca pudding in your bottom bowl/container into a separate cool bowl
- Put bowl in fridge, it will continue to thicken as it cools
Here is the second (and best) way to make Instant Pot tapioca pudding. We do it right in our Instant Pot and there’s no need to soak the tapioca pearls beforehand.
Video is here and full recipe is in recipe card below:
- I HIGHLY suggest you get a non stick pot to make this and other recipes!
- Add this brand of small pearl tapioca or this large tapioca and water into your pot (exact directions below in recipe card)
- After that has pressure cooking you switch to saute and in a small bowl whisk your milk and egg yolks
- Then add your sugar and salt if you’d like. Stir until dissolved
- Stir in vanilla
- Remove pot and serve!!
Optional items are a dash of cinnamon inside or on top of your Instant Pot pudding, nutmeg is good too, and a few raisins has been a favorite topping too.
Looking for more Instant Pot dessert recipes?
Here is the recipe for making tapioca in your Instant Pot. It’s a short cook time and if you follow it precisely it turns out so good. Immediately after it’s done I transfer to small bowls and refrigerate to cool before eating.
Instant Pot Tapioca Pudding Recipe
- Add tapioca pearls and water into your Instant Pot (directly inside, this is not the PIP method that is above). Stir
- Close lid and steam valve and set to pressure high for 5 minutes. Whisk together your egg yolks and milk in a small bowl so they are ready. Then do a quick release when done.
- Turn pot OFF using the cancel button (important step so you don't get the burn notification). Use a wooden spoon to scrape bits of stuck on tapioca off bottom of pot.
- Now turn your pressure cooker to saute. Add some of the hot pudding into your bowl with milk and whisk so it can temper the mixture.
- Once the pudding starts boiling slowly pour 1/2 the egg/milk mixture in stirring consistently so the egg cooks and pudding doesn't burn. (I like using a wooden spoon during this process), then add 2nd half.
- Slowly sprinkle in sugar and stir consistently until dissolved. Add vanilla.
- Turn pressure cooker off, remove pot so it doesn't continue to cook, pour pudding into bowls immediately. Refrigerate
- Allow to cool in fridge to thicken up more (or eat immediately if you prefer).