This easy chocolate Instant Pot cake is so delicious and moist! It really is this easy to make a moist pressure cooker cake for a birthday or just dessert after dinner.
This Instant Pot cake was kind of an experiment I did in my kitchen and it surprisingly came out so good!! It was almost Valentine’s Day so I was all about baking something sweet. Now this is officially a favorite dessert on our long list of easy Instant Pot recipes.
We made this Instant Pot dump cake quite a while back and it was yummy so this is along those same lines but I used a different ingredient to make this pressure cooker dessert more fluffy and more like cake than the traditional dump cake texture.
This was the slice of Instant Pot cake I ate for lunch. lol.
- I only used ingredients I had in my cupboard and fridge for ease.
I will tell you this cake cooked in the Instant Pot is VERY moist so it doesn’t have the super duper spring back a normal oven baked cake has. I mean essentially you are steaming it so that makes sense. We love ooey gooey moist desserts so it was a real winner at our house.
I have made many delicious homemade desserts in my pressure cooker. Our Instant Pot coffee cake is a fabulous treat too. If you haven’t baked in your pressure cooker yet I’d give it a whirl.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy and quick Instant Pot cake
- Instant Pot 7″ springform pan
- Large bowl to whisk ingredients, and mixer is very helpful
- Cup of water
- Unsweetened chocolate and cocoa
- All purpose flour
- Beer – or other liquid
- Baking soda
- Sour cream
- Vanilla frosting – if you want it on top
There is another way to make an Instant Pot bundt cake using cake mix.
- Spray inside of this 7″ bundt pan
- Mix together cake mix with necessary ingredients on box.
- Pour into bundt pan, cover with foil.
- Put trivet inside pressure cooker with 1.5 c. water.
- Lower bundt pan on to trivet.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 50 minutes
- Do a natural release and lift out.
- Cool, flip out of the cake pan (that’s where the cooking spray helps) and add whipped cream or frosting. Sprinkled 1/2 cup chocolate chips on top is great too.
Save any leftovers by placing aluminum foil on top. It’s a great 30 minute cooking time cake recipe you can make quickly.
- Like I said before, this method of “baking” does create a different consistency than you’re probably used to.
- If you like really airy and fluffy cakes, this probably isn’t how you want to bake a cake.
- However, if you love dense flourless cake type of sweets this is right up your alley and you should make all of these + our Instant Pot brownies.
As far as breads, it makes them really moist too. I did this with our cornbread and loved how it turned out.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest!
- You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
For more Instant Pot desserts refer to this pot.
Instant Pot Cake
- 3/4 c beer stout was used, you could use another type of liquid
- 1/4 c coffee prepared, dark roast brew was used for this
- 1 c butter unsalted was used, room temperature
- 3/4 c cocoa powder unsweetened
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 2 c sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2/3 c sour cream
- 4 c powdered sugar
- 1 c butter sweet cream butter was used
- 2 tsp Baileys liquor or any other liquid can be used
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1-2 tbsp whiskey or other liquid
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Prep your cake pan by spraying liberally with non-stick baking spray, then a light dusting with cocoa powder. Set to the side. Make ganache = In a medium saucepan heat your cream to a light bubble. Place your chocolate in a double boiler.Pour heated cream over chocolate pieces and let sit for 1 minute, then stir to combine. Make sure to stir often until chocolate melts. Stir in Whiskey if using, and salt to taste.Set ganache aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium saucepan add the stout, coffee, and butter. Heat over medium, stirring often until butter melts. Add in the cocoa powder and mix until smooth. Set the mixture to the side and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.In a stand mixer, add your eggs and sour cream. Beat on medium until combined.Reduce the speed to low and add the chocolate beer mixture.
- Mix until well combined. Begin to add flour mixture in thirds. Beat on low until combined. Pour the batter into your springform pan.
- Place a trivet in your Instant Pot. Add 3/4 cup water to the Instant Pot. Lower the cake into the Instant Pot on the trivet. Seal and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes, then vent immediately.
- Let the cake cool. Place the ganache you made in the microwave for 45 seconds, heat until melted. Pour the ganache over the top of the cake. Set to the side.
- Prepare your frosting = Add softened sticks of butter to the mixer. Add Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur. Mix until butter and liqueur are completely blended. Add powdered sugar. Beat on low until well combined and stiff peaks begin to form.
- Then move the mixer up to medium-high speed.Blend for 1 minute. Spread the frosting on top of the cake.Enjoy!