This is how to make Instant Pot angel food cake! Fluffy fat free cake right in your pressure cooker that tastes amazing! You have got to try this for dessert this week, it will be a huge hit at your house for sure.
I’m a sucker for angel food cake, probably because my Grandma made it for me as a child for each and every birthday. I love that it is a fat free cake too so I don’t feel guilty if I have an extra piece on “those days” and when I made this Instant Pot angel food cake it came out super fluffy like it does in the oven too!! It didn’t last long when my family got home either. It became an after school treat right away. Definitely one of my favorite Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom. (originally published 10/17)
I have made many Instant Pot dessert recipes before but I must say this was the easiest and brought back a lot of memories too.
This is what you’ll need and how to make Instant Pot angel food cake!
- Angel Food Cake mix – this is the one I use
- 7″ Angel Food Cake pan – seriously it is so cute – if that is out of stock this 6″ pan will fit in your 6 qt or this 8″ pan will fit in your 8 qt IP
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker – this is the one I have
- Raspberry jam (warmed) – optional but great, this is what I use
Doesn’t this just look amazing??
My favorite dessert of all time.
See how fluffy it is! It actually took me two tries to get the timing right but I knew I could do it.
I started making just meals in my Instant Pot when I got it but soon I bought a 6″ bundt pan and made this amazing caramel apple pecan Instant Pot coffee cake and then the idea hit me….I could make just about anything in it if I had the correct pans!
So I gave this Instant Pot angel food cake a whirl and the second time it came out just like it does in the oven except for browning on the top…which really doesn’t do anything for the taste.
I warmed a little raspberry jam and drizzled it on top for color and it added a lot of amazing flavor to this fat free cake too.
- One box will make 2 Instant Pot angel food cakes so if you just want one follow the recipe below.
If you want 2 then double this and use the whole box of cake mix and cook it twice….you get the drift. 😉
Here’s a video showing you how we make it:
You can see here how the middle section of your Instant Pot angel food cake just lifts off the sides once you loosen it and then you loosen the bottom where it is setting on the pan and gently turn it over on to your fingers.
Then it should slide off without having to use non stick spray.
Then gently place it on a plate and enjoy.
Here are a few other angel food cake recipes to enjoy!
I also have a big list of angel food cake mix recipes you can try too!
Instant Pot Angel Food Cake
- 1.5 c Angel Food Cake Mix
- 1.5 c water for bottom of Instant Pot
- 1/2 c water for mix
- 1/8 c water for mix
- Use half of your angel food cake mix box which is 1.5 cups. Put into a bowl.
- Combine cake mix with 1/2 c water and 1/8 c water. (I list them separately because most people don't have an 1/8 c measuring cup so just use your 1/4 c and fill half way along with your 1/2 c water.
- Use a mixer to mix water and angel food cake mix for about a minute on high or until it starts to fluff up like meringue.
- Do NOT grease your pan. The non stick pan is enough for it to not adhere and it allows the cake to "creep up" as it rises. Spoon the mixture into your 7" angel food cake pan and cover with tinfoil.
- Put a trivet or a small glass bowl at the bottom of your Instant Pot or pressure cooker with about 1.5 c of water surrounding it so it can steam your cake.
- Place your cake on your trivet inside the Instant Pot and close your lid and steam valve.
- Set to manual, pressure, high, for 27 minutes.
- Do a slow release (move steam valve slightly so steam comes out very slowly).
- Lift lid off quickly so the water inside doesn't cover your foil.
- Carefully lift your pan out and set on a cooling rack.
- Remove foil and allow to cool.
- Use a knife to loosen cake from pan on the sides of the pan. Push bottom gently and pull up on middle metal piece of pan to lift out. Use knife to loosen cake from bottom rim and a bit on the middle stem of the pan so it slides off.
- Put on plate and enjoy or add a bit of melted raspberry jam to the top....that is delicious too.
- 1 angel food cake mix box makes 2 Instant Pot angel food cakes.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉