Chocolate angel food cake is amazing and only requires 3 ingredients to make! Our favorite fat free chocolate cake recipe that’s fluffy and light.
I can’t even explain how delicious this fat free chocolate angel food cake is!! Ok so I am bias, angel food is my favorite dessert ever and it reminds me of my childhood every time I make it. BUT adding chocolate takes it from good to amazing with just one added ingredient.
Yep….you just need 3 inexpensive ingredients to make a chocolate angel food cake, that is my kind of dessert!
Not only does it taste SO good, but it turns out really pretty too with just a dust of powdered sugar on top, I don’t think you need to serve it with anything else.
It’s plenty sweet enough.
Yep, all you need is what you see above…and some water….
Let me show you the basic steps to making this fat free chocolate cake below.
- Dump the 2 powders in a bowl
- Use a mixer to blend the water in
- Pour it into an angel food cake pan
- Flip over until cool
- Loosen from the sides
- Remove pan
Here’s more specifics as to what exactly you will need to make chocolate angel food cake so you can get started:
- Angel food cake pan – this is the best one, like mine, it has the ability to be upside down on it’s own without balancing it on a glass
- A box of angel food cake mix
- Cocoa powder – I prefer the dark chocolate type
- Powdered sugar if you want to dust a bit on the top at the end
- Sliced berries are a nice touch and strawberries always go well with anything chocolate
See how pretty it turns out??!!
Why I love angel food cake
- It is a fat free cake
- Ok so it gives me an excuse to have a second piece
- Angel food cake is just pretty, even if it is served as is right out of the pan (chocolate or plain)
- It’s the fluffiest cake of them all, but still has a bit of crust on the top that’s super sweet
- I love cakes with just a few ingredients I have to throw together and this is probably the simplest dessert to make by far
- It personally reminds me of my Grandmother because she’d always make me whatever cake I wanted for my birthday and I always asked for this one
If you love this chocolate angel food cake you will love these other varieties:
- Pineapple angel food cake
- Pumpkin angel food cake
- Peach angel food cake has just 2 ingredients.
- Instant Pot angel food cake – yes you could make it chocolate the same way, just add some cocoa
This hummingbird cake is another unique dessert that’s fun to make.
Here is the full recipe to follow:
Chocolate Angel Food Cake
- 1 box angel food cake mix
- 1 1/4 c water this is what my box required, follow instructions on your cake mix box
- 1/2 c cocoa I used dark cocoa
- Add your angel food cake mix and cocoa into a bowl. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add your water. Use a mixer on low speed to blend everything together well, about 30 sec. should do it.
- Put mix into an ungreased angel food cake pan.
- Bake on lowest rack in your oven for approx 40 minutes or until top is no longer sticky and it bounces back when gently touched on the top.
- Take out and immediately turn your angel food cake pan upside down. If you have the style I have you can rest it anywhere, if yours doesn't have tall outside edges you'll need to find a bottle that fits inside the middle part of the pan and balance it on that so the cake doesn't touch anything when it is upside down.
- Let it cool completely, then flip right side up and use a straight knife to loosen cake from pan.
- Loosen outside rim and middle, then lift middle part of pan up and push bottom middle piece out and away from outside ring.
- Loosen middle piece from cake as well as bottom of cake from pan. Gently flip over on to your hand and remove last cake piece. Immediately put on to cake platter with top facing up.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉