Chocolate angel food cake is amazing and only requires 3 ingredients to make! Our favorite fat free chocolate cake recipe that’s fluffy and light. If you love cake mix recipes where you can transform it into something totally different this is a winner.
I can’t even explain how delicious this fat free chocolate angel food cake is!! Ok so I am bias, angel food is my favorite dessert ever and it reminds me of my childhood every time I make it. BUT adding chocolate takes it from good to amazing with just one added ingredient. (originally published 1/19, affiliate links present)
Betty Crocker Chocolate Angel Food Cake
Not only does it taste SO good, but it turns out really pretty too with just a dust of powdered sugar on top, I don’t think you need to serve it with anything else. It’s plenty sweet enough.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
This classic cake is something that reminds me of my childhood. I had it regular without the added cocoa but still comes out as light and fluffy. Paired with fresh fruit during the summertime it always impresses guests even though it isn’t hard to create. Just one of many angel food cake mix recipes we share on our site.
Mini Chocolate Angel Food Cake
If you wanted smaller versions you should follow our Instant Pot angel food cake. This will make two since the pan is much smaller. Yep, all you need is what you see above…and some water…. Let me show you the basic steps to making this fat free chocolate cake below.
- Dump the 2 powders in a bowl, if the egg whites are in a separate pouch
- Use an electric mixer to blend the water in until light, fluffy and incorporated well
- Incorporate cocoa chocolate flavor in with a spatula gently
- Preheat oven
- Pour it into an angel food cake pan
- Bake on lowest oven rack
- Flip over until cool
- Loosen from the sides of your tube pan with a knife all the way around
- Remove pan and allow to cool to room temperature before slicing
- Once it has cooled completely serve with whipped cream and/or sprinkle of confectioners sugar on top of each piece
Those are the basics but of course we have more precise explanations below in the printable card. Remember that you never want to grease the inside of the pan. Usually almost all of the time when baking you will but not with this style of cotton candy style cake in a tube pan.
Best chocolate angel food cake recipe
If you have never made this type of dessert it is different and you have to be more careful with it. Do NOT open the door mid way or it will fall and there is no recovering from that. Another difference is that you cannot grease the inside of the pan. Reason is that it needs to grab on and rise this way.
- Angel food cake pan – this is the best one, like mine, it has the ability to be upside down on it’s own without balancing it on a glass
- A box of angel food cake mix
- Cocoa powder – I prefer the dark chocolate type
- Powdered sugar if you want to dust a bit on the top at the end
- Sliced berries are a nice touch and strawberries always go well with anything chocolate
See how pretty it turns out??!! There are tons of options to add to the top when serving. I like it plain but my kids will whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar with some milk for a glaze. Just add 1-2 tablespoons at a time for the liquid until it is the thickness you want. Could add 1/4 tsp vanilla extract in there too.
How to make Angel Food Cake Chocolate
Why I love angel food cake is plentiful. I mean it is like no other treat I have ever had before. Ok so maybe it is best because of the memories too but really. It is NOT the same as the dry dense ones you can buy at the store in the bakery section. Seriously those aren’t worth it at all so don’t compare the two.
- It is a fat free cake
- Ok so it gives me an excuse to have a second piece
- Angel food cake is just pretty, even if it is served as is right out of the pan (chocolate or plain)
- It’s the fluffiest cake of them all, but still has a bit of crust on the top that’s super sweet
- I love cakes with just a few ingredients I have to throw together and this is probably the simplest dessert to make by far
- It personally reminds me of my Grandmother because she’d always make me whatever cake I wanted for my birthday and I always asked for this one
If you love this chocolate angel food cake you will love these other varieties:
- Pineapple angel food cake just needs the can and the mix together. You will get a flatter version but can be made in a 9×13 pan.
- Pumpkin angel food cake is our favorite Fall treat made with puree. It just has a hint of this flavor, not too intense like muffins but nevertheless incredible.
- Peach angel food cake has just 2 ingredients too with canned fruit in syrup.
This hummingbird cake is another unique dessert that’s fun to make. Here is the full recipe to follow:
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Chocolate Angel Food Cake
- 1 box angel food cake mix
- 1 1/4 c water this is what my box required, follow instructions on your cake mix box
- 1/2 c cocoa I used dark cocoa
- Add your angel food cake mix and cocoa into a bowl. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add your water. Use a mixer on low speed to blend everything together well, about 30 sec. should do it.
- Put mix into an ungreased angel food cake pan.
- Bake on lowest rack in your oven for approx 40 minutes or until top is no longer sticky and it bounces back when gently touched on the top.
- Take out and immediately turn your angel food cake pan upside down. If you have the style I have you can rest it anywhere, if yours doesn’t have tall outside edges you’ll need to find a bottle that fits inside the middle part of the pan and balance it on that so the cake doesn’t touch anything when it is upside down.
- Let it cool completely, then flip right side up and use a straight knife to loosen cake from pan.
- Loosen outside rim and middle, then lift middle part of pan up and push bottom middle piece out and away from outside ring.
- Loosen middle piece from cake as well as bottom of cake from pan. Gently flip over on to your hand and remove last cake piece. Immediately put on to cake platter with top facing up.