Here’s a healthy oven fried fish recipe that tastes incredible and really easy to make!! Crispy fish cooked in the oven so it’s healthier than fried but as crispy as ever. If you’re looking for a easy way to make homemade fish sticks this is it.
I will start by saying we all love seafood! I have three girls and this oven fried fish recipe is one of their favorite meals! Sponsored by Seafood Nutrition Partnership. (originally published 10/16, affiliate links present)
Fried fish in the oven is super easy and a healthy meal I’m sure your family will love to. Since October is National Seafood Month it’s the perfect time to try something new.
- If you love fish sticks, but want a homemade version with that same deep fried crunch, this is the dinner for you.
- I honestly don’t know if oven fried fish is what it is technically called but if you’re looking for a crunchy fried fish taste but baked instead this would be it!!
This is one of my kids’ favorites.
The breading is light, crunchy, yet there is NO frying involved so you get the fish fry taste you love without the added oil. Just the way we like it.
- Pair it with some veggies and you have a perfect meal using just 5 ingredients in less than 30 minutes!
If you haven’t integrated this flavorful lean meat into your weekly rotation yet I’d do it now! The earlier you get your kids to try new foods the better. Mine are teens now and would choose sushi over just about anything else nowadays. Seriously. 😉
- Now let’s start with a bowl, shallow dish for breading and a rimmed baking sheet for baking.
If you want to make fish and chips so they’re ready all at the same time you can put frozen fries on a baking sheet with foil. Bake together on 2 different racks and that should be perfect.
It’s a simple process of setting up a sort of assembly line in your kitchen with 3 bowls (or pie plates) with your ingredients.
In a small bowl combine bread crumbs, parmesan and seasonings.
- Then dip each piece of fish into the first flour bowl, then into the egg, cover with your Panko bread crust mixture and you’re ready to put them in the oven.
- Easy peasy right??
- This whole process will take less than 20 minutes.
Once you’ve dredged your tilapia or cod fish fillets in the flour and then the egg mixture you will want to make sure you gently flip your piece over to fully coat it with your bread crumb mixture.
Panko style bread crumbs create a crunchy texture when baked. Adding parmesan to the mix gives it a great flavor too! Super easy I’m telling you.
How long do I cook fish? Well this really depends on how thick it is and how “done” you like it.
- Typically you just want fish to flake easily when touched with a fork.
- Color should be white or opaque vs. translucent.
- For this one it takes 12-15 minutes or until fish is lightly golden on top and flaky in the middle.
This is what you need to make Oven fried fish
- Baking sheet
- sprayed with non stick cooking spray
- or brushed with melted butter
- Fish – we used tilapia
- Panko bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
You can even get the kids involved in this recipe. They love the whole assembly line process. Especially if you are trying to introduce fish into your family’s dinner routine it is a great way to get them to take ownership over the meal.
When kids can say “I made this” they are typically more willing to try new foods. 😉
Once you’ve made this and love it, then try oven fried chicken next! It too is lower in saturated fat that the traditional recipes out there and so good too.
- If you have an Instant Pot try one of our pressure cooker baked fish recipes
- Our frozen fish in air fryer or salmon recipes are fabulous with a squeeze of lemon juice on top and tartar sauce on the side.
Oven fried fish
- Cut your fish fillets in half lengthwise so you have 10 pieces (if you make less than just half this recipe).
- Put flour in one bowl or pie plate, whisk eggs with a pinch of salt in bowl
- Mix panko bread crumbs with parmesan cheese and garlic powder in bowl.
- Dip each piece of fish into flour (both sides), then into egg (both sides), then roll into bread crumb mixture until coated.
- Place on cookie sheet with some non stick spray and bake in oven at 400 degrees for about 12-15 min.