Teriyaki salmon air fryer style is the best way to air fry fish. With a homemade sauce, Ninja Foodi salmon teriyaki is both sweet and savory.
This one has become a family favorite and doesn’t take very long to make either. You can use our homemade or bottled sauce to make teriyaki salmon in air fryer too. Either way this air fryer recipe will become flaky and tender. (affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Teriyaki Salmon
You can use any brand of machine you like. I have a Foodi, AirWave and Cosori I experiment with and they all take the same amount of time. The biggest difference is the size and shape of the basket. For larger families you’d want more than our 5 quart but for the 4 of us it works out just fine.
I cannot tell you how much I love this flavor, on all the things. First I experimented with air fryer teriyaki chicken and that came out so amazing I used it on other meats. Since we cook a lot of easy fish recipes this just had to be done, period. I should have done this SO much sooner because it was amazing.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon
This go around we are using fresh or thawed out pieces of seafood. That is my preference all the way around no matter what type it is. You can not only get something like a salmon dry rub or salmon sauce to stick nicely but the meat is a bit more tender than if it started out rock hard, but it can be done.
That depends on how large your fillets are and whether or not you have frozen salmon or fresh / defrosted pieces. In general you should set aside 5-11 minutes to get flaky.
Timing will depend on the thickness, and the lower your temp. is the longer it will take. Ideal internal temperature for salmon should be no higher than 145 F or it will dry out.
Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon Frozen
Does it take longer to cook if it starts out rock hard? Slightly. You’re looking at closer to 10-12 minutes to cook frozen air fryer salmon. If you want to use this sauce I would brush it on halfway thru ideally. You wouldn’t be able to marinate it beforehand as you could with a fresh piece but it will still be delicious.
Air Fryer Salmon with Skin
As far as the homemade teriyaki sauce goes there are many teriyaki sauce from scratch recipes out there, you might have your own. You could buy a bottle at the store too and follow the same temperature and timing below. I recommend veri veri myself if you want to get it ready made. This version needs;
- Soy sauce
- A pinch salt
- Minced ginger
- 1/3 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- Onion powder
- White wine vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Water or vegetable broth
- 2″ wide sliced salmon fillets
Honey Teriyaki Salmon Air Fryer
You’re going to boil this in a pan over medium heat on your stovetop first. Remove from heat, allow to cool, then add it to the top of your filets. OR let it cool completely and use as a teriyaki marinade. You’d want to do this in a freezer bag, in the fridge for up to an hour before adding into your air fryer basket.
Air Fry Teriyaki Salmon
If making homemade sauce – Combine your soy sauce, vinegar, minced ginger, brown sugar, salt, granulated onion and garlic in a saucepan. Wait until the sugar granules dissolve. Mix water and starch, pour into saucepan and stir over low heat until it thickens. Transfer to a bowl and let it cool.
Choosing bottled sauce would skip this entire step and you’d continue to these steps;
- Rinse and dry salmon pieces with skin. Divide the teriyaki sauce into two parts, leaving one part to serve the fish. With the second part, spread the salmon on top and sides.
- The basket of the air fryer can be covered with parchment paper. Lay pieces skin side up on the parchment. Air fry at 320 F for 10 minutes.
- Flip the salmon to the other side and brush with about half of the teriyaki sauce.
- Bake for 5 more minutes.
- When salmon is cooked, carefully transfer to a plate. Easy to use cooking tongs.
- Before serving, spread more teriyaki glaze on your salmon filets and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
Now I have made this at a higher temperature for less time but this time I really wanted low and slow so the flavor could really seep in. I do a similar technique with our mustard sauce with salmon.
Ninja Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon
I would set aside about 30 minutes from start to finish to make this air fryer salmon recipe for your family. With prep and all it is a quick way to make a healthy meal that everyone will also think is amazing.
Once you have enjoyed this you might have some left over, I hate wasting food. With this said I have suggestions when it comes to how to save leftover cooked fish. Don’t throw anything out, you’ll need it to enjoy it for lunch the next day.
I really like freezer bags to keep your pieces nice and moist. Slide your leftovers inside with a bit of sauce on top and suck all the air out. You can keep in your fridge for up to 2 days. Store your sauce in a covered container as well, you’ll want more of that for sure. To reheat it is best to steam in a pan with some olive oil.
Salmon Teriyaki in Air Fryer
Microwaving fish isn’t so great because it can dry out really easily, and fast. Instead if you add it into a pan with a lid it can steam fro cold to warmed again. Spoon a few tbsp of your sauce on top, and then when served add a bit more then too. You want to keep it moist, point blank.
It is precooked so you could in fact enjoy it right out of the fridge, kinda’ like you would with smoked salmon. I have done that served on top of crackers the next day and it is seriously so good, even my girls will eat it this way. High in protein, low carbs and keto friendly for everyone to enjoy.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Teriyaki Salmon Air Fryer
- * If making homemade teriyaki sauce * Combine soy sauce, wine vinegar, minced ginger, brown sugar, salt, granulated onion and garlic in a saucepan. While stirring, wait until the sugar granules dissolve.
- Mix water and starch, pour into a saucepan and stir the sauce over low heat until it thickens. Then transfer the teriyaki sauce to a bowl and let it cool.
- * If using bottled sauce start from here * Rinse and dry salmon pieces with skin. Divide the teriyaki sauce into two parts, leaving one part to serve the fish. With the second part, spread the salmon on top and sides.
- For convenience, the basket of the air fryer can be covered with parchment paper. Lay the salmon skin side up on the parchment. Air fry at 320 F for 10 minutes.
- Flip the salmon to the other side and brush with about half of the teriyaki sauce. Bake for 5 more minutes. Carefully transfer the cooked salmon to a plate. Easy to use cooking tongs.
- Before serving, spread salmon pieces with more sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped green onions.