This post has been sponsored by Albertsons. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This rich Coca-Cola chocolate cake with OREO Cookies topping is delicious and easy to make with your kids! Perfect dessert when people come over or for a potluck.
Looking for a decadent and delicious chocolate dessert to serve? Well, this Coca-Cola Chocolate Cake may be just what you’re looking for! Dark chocolate cake with frosting topped with OREO Cookies all you need is a little slice to satisfy that sweet tooth of yours. 😉
I wanted to make something rich for dessert the other night and decided to hit Albertsons for their Stock Up Sale to see what fun ingredients I could find….and do my weekly grocery shopping all at the same time.
The products mentioned in this post are on sale at the Albertsons Companies family of stores from 10/3 – 10/9, and new products will be on sale from 10/10 – 10/16. Products on sale at United retailers may differ.
I had most of the ingredients I needed but ran out of Gold Medal Enriched Flour during my last baking marathon, grabbed the OREO Cookies I needed for the topping, and since I decided to make a cola cake, I needed more Coca-Cola. Luckily the 8-pack of Coca-Cola Classic, Small Bottles were on sale so I got a bunch!
I purchased these products and more at my local Alberstons, but you can also stock up and save at any of the Albertsons Companies family of stores including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, and Carrs/Safeway. Visit the Alberstons website to find a store near you and discover some fun meal prep tips and recipe ideas!
Here is everything you’ll need to make this easy Coca-Cola chocolate cake (you can find everything at Albertsons)
- Coca-Cola Classic – 12 oz. small bottes
- OREO Cookies
- Gold Medal Enriched All-Purpose flour
- Frosting – I bought a tub of ready made but you could make your own
- Chocolate chips – we used mini semi-sweet style
I am sure you’ve made a cake before, and making a Coca-Cola cake is not much different. Mixing together all the wet ingredients and then mixing together all the dry items and combining them well (gently) is the basic rule…..
As is, this cake is great. But we like to amp up the flavor with chocolate chips inside, frosting on top, and sprinkled with crushed OREO Cookies!
We have to add our flair to everything right?? 😉
If you like baking with your kids, then this is a fun chocolate dessert to create together.
Stirring, pouring, and crushing the cookies can be done by them and believe me, they will love being included in the process.
Here is a close up of the goodness once the cream-filled OREOs are added to the top……
Now that I have your mouth watering, run out to Albertsons yourself and take advantage of their Stock Up Sale, too!
These are just a few items on sale that I used to make our chocolate Coca-Cola Cake, but there are TONS of other items I am sure you use on a regular basis that will enable you to save money grocery shopping over the next few weeks.
Then you can enjoy this goodness here …
Here’s the printable recipe for our easy Coca-Cola chocolate cake for your reference.
Coca-Cola Chocolate Cake
- 2 c flour all-purpose GOLD Medal
- 2 c sugar
- 12 oz Coca-Cola
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 c butter salted
- 1/4 c cocoa we used dark chocolate
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1/2 c chocolate chips we used mini semi-sweet chips
- 10 OREO cookies crushed
- 1 tub chocolate frosting we used dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13x9 pan with non stick spray. (photos show an 8x8 pan, we cut it in half to make less that particular day)
- On the stove on low heat combine your Coca Cola, butter and cocoa and wait until it begins to boil stirring consistently. Then remove from heat.
- In a bowl combine your flour, sugar and baking soda. Mix until combined.
- Pour your warm cola mixture into your bowl with dry ingredients and fold together until it is combined well.
- Whisk eggs and buttermilk together and add into your bowl as well, fold together.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips in and fold together.
- Pour your cola cake mixture into your pan and put into your oven for about 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when putting it inside the middle of your cake.
- Place on cooling rack for about 20 minutes until it has slightly cooled.
- Put tub of frosting into your microwave for about 40 seconds so it is thick but able to be poured.
- Pour frosting on top of your cake.
- Put OREO cookies in a baggie, zip, and crush into medium/small pieces and sprinkle these on top of your entire cake while your frosting is still wet.
- You can serve immediately or if you want your slices to come out a bit more clean allow to cool for at least 30 minutes more, slice and enjoy!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉