This rich Coca-Cola chocolate cake with OREO Cookies topping is delicious and easy to make with your kids! Perfect dessert when people come over or for a potluck.
Looking for a decadent and delicious chocolate dessert to serve? Well, this Coca-Cola Chocolate Cake may be just what you’re looking for! Dark chocolate cake with frosting topped with OREO Cookies all you need is a little slice to satisfy that sweet tooth of yours. Sponsored by Albertsons;) (originally published 10/18, affiliate links present)
Coca Cola Chocolate Cake Recipe Easy
I wanted to make something rich for dessert the other night and decided to hit Albertsons for their Stock Up Sale. Of course I would do my weekly grocery shopping all at the same time!
I had most of the ingredients I needed but ran out of Gold Medal Enriched Flour during my last baking marathon. It was time to stock up on all things baking so here I went…
Coca Cola cake
Grabbed the OREO Cookies I needed for the topping, and since I decided to make a cola cake, I would needed some for my soda cake recipe.
- Coca-Cola Classic
- OREO Cookies
- Gold Medal Enriched All-Purpose flour
- I bought a tub of ready made but you could make your own
- Warm it and pour on top of your sheet cake when cooled completely
- Chocolate chips – we used mini semi-sweet style
- 13×9 baking pan
- shown is half a batch using an 8×8 baking dish
- Large bowl
When we have people over this is a great choice. It is quick and easy. Paired with a batch of our Crockpot chocolate candy bites it’s overload but always a fave.
I am sure you’ve made a favorite cake before, but making a Coca-Cola cake takes this comfort food over the top. Mixing together all the wet ingredients and then mixing together all the dry items and combining them well (gently) is the basic rule…..
- As is, this cake is great. But we like to amp up the flavor with chocolate chips inside, frosting on top, and sprinkled with crushed OREO Cookies!
How do you make a Coca Cola cake
There are really 2 ways. You can make it from scratch as you see here, or you can just combine the cake mix and soda pop for a favorite chocolate cake too and throw it in a prepared pan.
From scratch directions are:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together baking soda, flour, and all other dry ingredients in one bowl.
- In another bowl mix add eggs and other wet ingredients, and then slowly combine flour mixture until smooth.
- Pour into sprayed baking dish.
Bake for about 35 minutes or until center comes out clean when a toothpick is inserted. It can have just a bit of moistness on there but not much.
Coca Cola Cake Recipe with Box Mix
If you like baking with your kids, then this Coca-Cola chocolate cake recipe is a fun treat to create together. You can use boxed mix with a can you would just want to follow our 2 ingredient cake recipe.
I say pretty clean because for us it can still be just a tad wet, just a bit. It is going to cool inside the pan so it will continue to cook a bit during that time. Put your hot cake on a cooling rack and then make your frosting if you want to make that from scratch.
- They can help you make the frosting if you want. An easy way is just mixing confectioners sugar (known as powdered sugar) and water until you get the thickness you want.
- for a chocolate type you can add a bit of cocoa powder to it too.
- I kid you not, when it’s frosted it tastes much like the chocolate cake at Cracker Barrel if you put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
How many calories are in a Cracker Barrel Coke cake
First off, why do you need to know? I mean it’s an indulgent treat you aren’t going to eat every day, but if you really must it is typically 783 calories per slice.
Coca Cola Chocolate Cake Cracker Barrel
Stirring, pouring, and crushing the cookies can be done by them and believe me, they will love being included in the process. Here is a close up of the goodness once the cream-filled OREOs are added to the top. Now that I have your mouth watering, run out to Albertsons yourself and take advantage of their Stock Up Sale, too!
- These are just a few items on sale that I used to make our chocolate Coca-Cola Cake, but there are TONS of other items I am sure you use on a regular basis.
Then you can enjoy this goodness here and these other dessert recipes:
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
Chocolate Coca Cola cake
How many calories are in a Coca Cola cake? Dude, this is not a diet food by any means. Do you really need the answer to that, think about that for a second now. 😉 If you need to know I have some helpful information below.
Nutritional information is listed below as well, but this is a dessert y’all so just enjoy it. If you must read it we have calories, saturated fat, etc per serving shown. Serving size is 3 oz. just for your reference.
2 ingredient Chocolate cake
Whether you decide to just mix a box of mix with a can of soda and follow those instructions or use our homemade version below you will fall in love with this one!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Coca-Cola Chocolate Cake
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 2 c sugar
- 12 oz Coca-Cola
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 c butter salted
- 1/4 c cocoa we used dark chocolate
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1/2 c chocolate chips we used mini semi-sweet chips
- 10 OREO cookies crushed
- 1 tub chocolate frosting we used dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13×9 pan with non stick spray. (photos show an 8×8 pan, we cut it in half to make less that particular day)
- On the stove on low heat combine your Coca Cola, butter and cocoa and wait until it begins to boil stirring consistently. Then remove from heat.
- In a bowl combine your flour, sugar and baking soda. Mix until combined.
- Pour your warm cola mixture into your bowl with dry ingredients and fold together until it is combined well.
- Whisk eggs and buttermilk together and add into your bowl as well, fold together.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips in and fold together.
- Pour your cola cake mixture into your pan and put into your oven for about 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when putting it inside the middle of your cake.
- Place on cooling rack for about 20 minutes until it has slightly cooled.
- Put tub of frosting into your microwave for about 40 seconds so it is thick but able to be poured.
- Pour frosting on top of your cake.
- Put OREO cookies in a baggie, zip, and crush into medium/small pieces and sprinkle these on top of your entire cake while your frosting is still wet.
- You can serve immediately or if you want your slices to come out a bit more clean allow to cool for at least 30 minutes more, slice and enjoy!
Thursday 4th of October 2018
This is the best recipe I've found for cake made with coke! We used to make them in my house years ago, but I haven't thought of making one in ages!
The Typical Mom
Thursday 4th of October 2018
So glad you loved it
Thursday 4th of October 2018
This would be right up my alley, oreo's, coke, and chocolate cake! YYYYYUUUUMMMM!