How to make cake mix from scratch. Homemade either chocolate explained here or homemade yellow cake mix too! Using ingredients you have at home it is easier than you think. If you don’t have boxed cake mix you can still save dessert tonight.
Wondering how to make cake mix right at home? We have 2 ways depending if you want yellow or chocolate to follow. Let us share these cooking basics with y’all. (affiliate links present, originally published 2/21)
Homemade Dry Cake Mix
Quick easy dessert recipe you can then use for all sorts of things. Yep, we make all sorts of boxed cake mix recipes because they’re so easy. BUT when I realized once that I ran out of ready made I had to make it on my own.
Now we’re here to share it with you. The great thing is on batch cooking days you can make a few to store so you’re prepared next time you want some sweets. I’ve never hidden my love for everything sweet.
How do You Make Cake Mixture
Easy Homemade Cake Mix
Here are a few questions you might have in mind since you’re here, and we can answer them before you get started stirring:
I will show you how here! You probably have the ingredients needed at home. Best part is you can make a bunch and save in baggies for later. Mix wet ingredients when you’re ready and save money.
Either way is less expensive than buying a ready made cake from a bakery or store. Boxed will not taste quite as delicious as from scratch many will say but you can doctor it up to taste very similar.
All dry ingredients should be blended, and wet in another. Once they’re all smooth then slowly incorporate the two into one bowl. Do not add everything in at once.
If you are making more than one batch of the dry items to store, do it one at a time in a bowl. It won’t work to do 3x each amount and then try to separate it as some portions may have a bit more baking powder etc than other portions.
Homemade Betty Crocker Cake Mix
Once you have all of the ingredients on the countertop though the process will be quite quick. Line everything up with the measuring cups and spoons needed next to them. Mix in a bowl, store in freezer bags and seal.
- Then make sure to write on the outside of each bag the wet ingredients needed:
- 1 1/4 c water
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
Homemade Chocolate Cake Mix
- All purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Dry milk
- Baking soda
- And baking powder
Store in freezer bags or sealed mason jars are great if you aren’t making it right then and there. If you are mixing immediately you could use regular milk instead of dry. Just one of many boxed cake mix hacks on our site you are going to love!
Homemade White Cake Mix
If you wanted to transition this from chocolate to white all you do is leave out the cocoa! I mean simple right?? With any flavor you choose you will want to have 1 small and 1 large bowl to do the mixing. A hand or stand mixer is helpful as well as cake pans for baking.
- I kid you not once you get into the habit of making and using these you’ll never buy box mixes again.
- The cake batter comes out exactly the same. Some like to add dry pudding mix at the end to make it over the top moist. We have made a lot of pudding cakes ourselves.
I mean I could share a TON of things you can make with either of these two flavors but I bet you already have one in mind. In case you haven’t tried it though, this is how to make a poke cake, they’re amazing.
Recipes with Homemade Cake Mix
Both of these are super versatile. I primarily stick with these, and spice during the holidays. You can even make cake mix cookies with either of these! Those are super fun. Just add chocolate chips and oH MY.
We’ve even made cake mix brownies time and time again, peanut butter brownies are probably our favorite creations ever though.
If you want to make yellow cake mix we have the recipe for that as well, linked at the top of this post. Of course you wouldn’t need cocoa to that one but other than that it is quite similar to this one.
Ready to make a yellow cake recipe or chocolate? Jump to recipe below that can be printed and kept on hand. Then bake at 350 degrees F for 15-25 minutes baking time depending whether you’re making cupcakes or a layered treat.
- Have 1 1/2 cup frosting ready to dollop on top and enjoy!
You could add 1/4 cup sprinkles inside to amp it up too, that is always fun. Once bagged you can measure a smaller amount out too if you just want a recipe for 6 cupcakes at a time.
Chocolate Homemade Cake Mix
If you love this and decide to make it in bulk, you will love our homemade brownie mix too! Here are quick step by step instructions but a printable version is available below too. Make enough for just one after dinner sweetness or a few to share or store away for another day. 😉
- Mix together dry ingredients above and store in separate baggies with a note on the front with what you need to prepare it into batter: 1 1/4 c water + 1/2 c vegetable oil + 3 eggs + 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- When you are ready to prepare your batter, add your bagged dry mix with the wet ingredients necessary. Use a mixer on low to combine well so it is smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If baking two round cake pans it will take 20-25 minutes, cupcakes will take approximately 15-18 minutes. Remove when the middle touched lightly bounces back.
- I’d lightly spray pans with non stick or use muffin liners.
If you want to know how to half a recipe to make less, read this post. Tip: Spray your pan with non stick spray to clean a pot.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
How to Make Cake Mix
- 1 Bowl
- 1 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 c sugar
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 c dry milk instant, nonfat
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- wet ingredients
- 1 1/4 c water
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- This is for chocolate. Link to yellow is at the top of this post, white you just leave out the cocoa powder. Mix together dry ingredients above and store in separate baggies with a note on the front with what you need to prepare it into batter: 1 1/4 c water + 1/2 c vegetable oil + 3 eggs + 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- When preparing batter add your mix with wet ingredients. Use a mixer on low to combine well so it is smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If baking two round cake pans it will take 20-25 minutes, cupcakes take 15-18 minutes. I'd lightly spray pans with non stick or use muffin liners.
Tuesday 9th of February 2021
Where is the vanilla cake mix to I just omit the chocolate powder ? Valérie