Here is an old fashioned hot milk cake that is amazing and only needs a few ingredients. It’s delicious as is and a great base for strawberry shortcake too!
I know….you might be wondering what is hot milk cake? Well, I must tell you it is the most deliciously moist and sweet dessert you will ever make that needs absolutely NO frosting whatsoever. The few ingredients you need make it plenty sweet enough!! It is hot because of the way you make it, but sweet milk cake is what we call it here. (originally published 5/15)
Hot milk cake recipe easy
Ok so this sounds kinda’ weird right? I mean typically when you bake anything you don’t need to heat up the ingredients. You just mix dry ingredients in one, wet in another and slowly incorporate the two. In this case you need just a bit of prep.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
Makes this super moist almost pudding cake like texture that will melt in your mouth. If you were lactose intolerant you could definitely use an alternative. My husband has this need so I have experimented with several of my dishes and I haven’t seen a difference yet.
Dairy Free Hot Milk Cake
That is right, typically we have almond milk at home so I use that. Oat or Cashew are two other popular varieties. I don’t buy those but would imagine that they’d be fine. With this and our banana bread bundt cake nobody ever knows the difference when I swap one out for the other.
- Milk – obviously, or alternative of choice
- Almond extract – gives it an amazing flavor
I like this recipe because you only need the simple ingredients, you need no frosting, and I can whip it together quickly. The kids think this hot milk cake is pretty amazing too and ask for it when I haven’t made homemade dessert in a while. 😉
You have to start with the butter and milk and melt it and get it warm on the stovetop, then add the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly combine them together using a mixer.
Southern Hot Milk Cake
It is best to use 2% if possible, not fat free. If you do choose to put some sort of light frosting on top you can just use a tub of whipped topping and spread it on top, adding sliced strawberries is a good addition as well.
As I said we eat it straight out of the pan without anything else (with a glass of milk or cup of coffee) and it’s a nice sweet treat that isn’t heavy.
Sometimes I add a bit of cinnamon in with the dry mixture too. It is great to make this hot milk cake and then use it like the bottom of strawberry shortcake or with blueberries and a bit of whipped cream on top.
Great by itself though too! If you are looking for more recipes using milk we have more here. 😉
Old Fashioned Hot Milk Cake
- Melt butter and add milk to pot on stove until it is melted and then keep on warm to stay hot until you are ready to mix it in.
- Add all other ingredients including the eggs and vanilla to the dry mixture after you have thoroughly mixed the flour and baking powder so it is mixed in well.
- Slowly combine hot milk and butter mixture to dry ingredient bowl and mix on low with a mixer until everything is combined well.
- Spray 9×13 pan with non stick spray and bake on 350 degrees or about 30 minutes.
- Take out when top is golden brown. Eat warm or cool and you seriously don’t need anything on top (strawberries or blueberries are great though, use like a strawberry shortcake).