This is how to make brownies out of cake mix easily with just 2 ingredients and any flavor of cake mix you like! Rich and chewy strawberry brownies are our favorite but try devil’s food cake mix brownies too. A quick dessert your kids will love and cheap to make for a bunch of people
Knowing how to make brownies out of cake mix comes in handy. We’re suckers for something sweet after dinner. Here’s the recipe. (participates in the amazon program, affiliate links present, originally published 3/17)
We’ve made peanut butter brownie in a mug, peanut butter cookie brownies, homemade brownies, and now these. If you’ve never made anything other than a cake right out of the box there is actually a lot you can do with cake mix.
- You can use the peanut butter version above, or the strawberry one down below.
We’ve made donuts too which I will share below. There’s an easy way to make just a portion of the box so you don’t have to make all 24 cupcakes either.
Varying the ingredients is the only difference between a sheet cake, a few cupcakes, donuts, or making these brownies with cake mix here. It’s texture really. You want brownies to be dense, chewy, and thicker than a cake.
- We made strawberry brownies this time but it really works for any flavor cake mix you choose.
You only need 3 ingredients to transform any cake mix into brownies and I am sure you have them all at home. From there you can add things like nuts, frosting on the top when they’re cooled, or even chocolate chips if you want to load them up.
- A box won’t make a 9×12″ pan full like it will if you make a cake as directed.
- Rather it will fill a square 8×8 pan or so and come out the thickness you see here.
They are quite rich and sweet so half of one of these pieces is quite enough to satisfy my sweet tooth, but it’s an easy brownie recipe if you don’t have the time to make any from scratch or a box of ready made in your house.
Cake Mix Brownies
- Cake mix
- Parchment paper – helpful to lift them out and cut them
- A square 8×8 baking dish
- non stick cooking spray is very helpful
- Large bowl
If you love chocolate brownies try this with devil’s food cake mix and add some finely chopped nuts if you like. They are quite good and definitely satisfy a sweets craving if you need something quick!
- TIP to making really soft and chewy brownies = do NOT overbake them! Make sure you take them out when the outside rim is light brown and the center is not wet but looks underdone.
- Allow them to cool completely in the baking dish after that before slicing for perfection.
Cake Mix Recipes
- 2 ingredient strawberry cake is seriously the best ever
- You can make cookies made with cake mix too that are a fast treat
- We have a bunch of other great angel food cake mix recipes here to try as well.
Of course oven temperatures vary slightly and altitude will change the cook time a bit. Bake for 17 – 20 minutes would be minimum so I would start with that. 21 minutes works for us but we’re in the mountains.
Brownies can actually taste better the next day! Completely cool in the pan, do not cut them, cover the pan with foil, refrigerate.
If you want to freeze them wrap uncut brownie in 2 layers of foil, and 1 layer of plastic wrap. Freeze the batch for up to 4 months.
Yep! You can definitely leave them out at room temperature. Stored in airtight bags or containers, they will stay nice and fresh for about 3-4 days on the countertop.
How to Make Brownies out of Cake Mix
- Mix together your box of cake mix, eggs and oil well.
- Spray your pan and add mix making sure it is smoothed out and the same thickness across your pan so they cook evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 17-20 minutes or until edges are slightly brown, do not overbake!
- Put on cooling rack until they are totally cooled before slicing.