You have got to try these cake mix peanut butter cookie brownies! Rich peanut butter flavor with white chocolate chips that are an ooey gooey dessert everyone in the house will love. They’re so easy because you use yellow cake mix as the base and amp it up with nuts and peanut butter. The best quick treat ever.
Ok so I am a big dessert lover, and peanut butter is on the top of the list of my favorite flavors! In the past we shared how to make brownies out of cake mix but we made strawberry brownies that time. It was time to make cake mix peanut butter cookie brownies this time and they came out incredible! Moist, chewy, and just crispy enough on the edges to be perfect. (originally published 4/18, affiliate links present)
We added some peanut butter chips as well as white chocolate chips to achieve the peanut butter chocolate flavors I love and wahhlahhh, perfection.
The KEY to making these perfect is to NOT overbake these peanut butter cookie brownies!
You want the edges of the brownie part to be lightly browned and the middle will look like they are not done. BUT when you let them cool in the pan they will continue to cook and become perfection as you see here, so take them out even if you think they aren’t ready.
- A toothpick inserted will come out relatively clean with a little bit of “wetness”. 😉
When we made the strawberry cake mix brownies they took about 20 minutes, but we were at sea level. Now that we are a bit at altitude in Idaho they took closer to 30 minutes so that is the range. I will say when it comes to baking brownies in general there is a large range of what people enjoy. Some love really crispy edges and more of a cake like consistency where we like them just on the verge of being undercooked.
- This is my suggestion to cook these perfectly!
Use this easy cake mix peanut butter cookie brownies recipe. Check them after 20 minutes and see if the brownie batter have stiffened, and the edges are a light brown. If not then add 3-5 minutes and check again.
After the first time you will then know how long it takes for your oven and location.
Then the next time you’ll know what time works perfectly!
Also….if you want peanut butter loaded cake mix brownies then use all peanut butter chips and skip the white chocolate chips, or add semi sweet instead of white for a real chocolate peanut butter brownie.
I took this picture so you could see what they look like when you should take them out…just barely golden brown on the edges and do NOT cut and take them out until they are completely cooled either. Put the pan on a cooling rack because they will continue to cook a bit in the pan so they come out super moist like you see at the top.
Once you’ve tried these move on to another cake mix flavor and chips, like red velvet brownies with white chocolate chips! Just follow this same recipe but substitute the different cake mix flavors and chips for other dessert ideas.
This is what you need to make these peanut butter cookie brownies
- Cake mix – yellow cake mix Betty Crocker works great
- Peanut butter – we like creamy best for this
- Peanut butter chips – or use this mix of chocolate & peanut butter chips
- White chocolate chips – we used half and half, you can use all peanut butter if you want overload
- Crushed peanuts – optional, we didn’t add bc I don’t like nuts in my brownies but if you do it would be a good addition
- 8×8 baking dish – I like using glass pans personally
- cooking spray so prepared pan with brownie mix doesn’t stick
- or line with parchment paper
- Large bowl to mix dry ingredients
After you make these you’ve gotta’ try these other yummy peanut butter desserts!
- Peanut butter brownie in a mug
- Peanut butter cookies are a fave
- Devils food brownies from cake mix
- Peanut butter filled pressure cooker brownie
- Chocolate chip cookie in a mug can have peanut butter chips added to it
If you want another peanut butter layer you can make homemade peanut butter frosting or put ice cream on top once they’re cooled.
Here’s a video showing you how we make these easy peanut butter brownies!
What is the best way to keep brownies fresh?
Let me start by saying that IF we have any leftover brownies there aren’t many. 😉
- Ideally store your brownies in an air tight container with a piece of parchment paper in between so they don’t stick.
- Small freezer bags can be used too. Make sure all air is removed before zipping closed.
- 1-2 days is ideal to maintain moisture.
- Some people add a slice of bread to the top of them to increase the moisture in the container.
Do you store brownies in the fridge?
- I typically do not.
- They stay moister at room temperature.
- You could freeze them for longer storage by cutting them into squares first. Then wrap each one well in plastic wrap and put them all in a freezer bag. Remove air and zip tight. They should last up to 3 months this way.
BUT fresh is always best!!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
Peanut Butter Cookie Brownies
- 1 box cake mix we used yellow
- 1/2 c peanut butter smooth
- 1/2 c peanut butter chips butterscotch chips are good too as an alternate
- 1/2 c white chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c oil we used olive oil, you could use vegetable
- 1/3 c peanuts chopped, optional
- Mix cake mix, peanut butter, eggs and oil in a bowl well until combined and no powder is showing. Preheat oven to 350 degrees now.
- Fold in chocolate chips/peanut butter chips and if you choose to add crushed peanuts fold them in too.
- Spray an 8x8 pan with non stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Spoon batter into pan and spread out so it is an even thickness across the pan so it cooks evenly.
- Place into the middle rack of your oven for about 25 minutes or until the edges are a light brown. (we are a bit at altitude and 30 min. was perfect, though you should check at 20 minutes and add a few minutes at a time until just golden brown edges appear.)
- You DO NOT want to overcook these so it is important when baking them the first time to start with 20 minutes and determine how long your oven takes to bring it to perfection meaning slightly crispy on edges but very soft in the middle.