5 layer better than sex cookie bar recipe that’s heaven. Using chocolate chips and layers of sticky dessert goodness. Great to bring to a potluck or for the holidays.
I’m a sucker for a great, warm, sticky dessert especially when Fall rolls around. This easy cookie bar recipe is sometimes called better than sex bars and is similar to a 7 layer bar. A hit when you bring it to a party! Let us show you how easy it is to make. (originally published 10/15, affiliate links present)
What is a cookie bar?
Well, this is a potluck staple if you ask me. Typically they are made from a batter poured or pressed into a baking pan or baking dish, baked, cooled, and cut into squares. Usually they are multi layered with a cake like or chewy texture. There are SO many options though.
It doesn’t really look like there are 5 layers to this cookie bar, but there are.
- They are all easy to find in any grocery store and so simple to throw together, even your kids can make it!
- Here’s where we start, with a graham cracker crust of sorts!
First melt 1 stick of room temperature butter and blend it with 1 1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs.
- I buy a box of already crushed graham crackers because…….well, it makes it quicker.
- If you wanted to add a bit of granulated sugar or even a bit of vanilla extract into the mix you could. Just keep in mind the next layers will be quite sweet.
- Blended crumbs, butter and sugar work great for the bottom crust.
Then pour the whole can of sweetened condensed milk over the graham cracker crumbs that have been spread out evenly and pressed down a bit.
- All you need is a small half can size for this and it will cover the entire area.
- Now this is a great recipe where you can really add any sweet ingredients you like.
- These are just the ones we chose.
Then use about 3/4 cup to a full cup of Nestlé Toll House semi-sweet morsels. This is fun for your kids to help with.
- Sprinkle them on top of the milk layer, then add a layer of white or pumpkin spice chips (perfect for the Fall season) as well.
- Mix it up however you like, Nestlé has plenty of chocolate chip varieties to choose from (but pumpkin is my favorite this time of year).
Then it’s time for the top!
Add your 1 1/3 c. of coconut to the top of all those layers. We chose to add nuts on top of that. Now you’re ready for the oven.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and you will want to bake it for about 25 – 30 minutes.
- I always check at about 22 minutes. You don’t want to over bake these.
There are many great things about this easy dessert but one is that there is no real bowl to whisk dry ingredients, you just dump it all in. It is egg free as well which many need, so no need to add eggs at any time.
Just take out when it is browned around the edges and firmish in the middle. Here’s the entire recipe.
How do you know when a cookie bar is done?
- For cake-like bars, test with a wooden pick inserted at the center of the pan. If it comes out with very few moist crumbs on it they’re done.
- Chewier bars will have a dull, not shiny, surface. Your fingerprint will remain after touching the surface lightly.
- This would be the case for ours here.
Now you have yourself a warm, chewy, chocolatey dessert to enjoy. Get cuddled up with a blanket this Fall with your sweeties watching a sappy movie. 😉
Cookie Bar recipe ingredients
Make some homemade coffee creamer, pour yourself a cup with this better than sex bar and enjoy.
Variations you could make for these better than sex bars
- You could make some better than sex brownies using a pre made box of brownies and skip the graham cracker layer.
- Better than sex cake could be created similar to our smores cake. Create recipe as written but then add all those luscious extra toppings like nuts, coconut and more too.
- Make a version of better than sex cake with alcohol. Base it off of our poke cake recipe but substitute your favorite drink instead of some of the liquid.
Printable recipe card below for these over the top chocolate chip cookie bars.
Cookie Bar Recipe
- MIx melted butter with graham cracker crumbs and press into bottom of 9x12 pan (spray pan beforehand).
- Pour condensed milk on top. Layer chocolate chips, butterscotch chips (could use peanut butter chips), coconut, and then nuts.
- Put into oven until edges are browned and bubbling. 350 degrees for about 20-25 min.
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉