I love making cookies made with cake mix. They are quick and super yummy! Just throw in 3 ingredients, spoon on to your tray and you’re ready. Make cake mix cookies sandwiches, frost or enjoy as is! Choose any flavor but peanut butter is our favorite.
Cookies made with cake mix are great when you need a quick treat! Add chocolate chips or peanut butter to these 3 ingredients to mix them up any way you want. The possibilities are endless. (originally published 2/16, affiliate links present)
Recipe for cookies made with cake mix
What you need for the most basic dessert you can see here. This is our favorite add in of choice.
We will show you how here. All you need is a box of your favorite mix, eggs and melted butter. This is the base batter you can add to from there. Use lemon or strawberry cake mix for a bit of fruity flavor.
Spice cake mix is a great choice for the Fall with some pumpkin added in!
If you had both in front of you that had been mixed with the necessary ingredients it would be very clear. Cake is much thinner than a bagged cookie dough. BUT we will show you here how to make cookie dough out of cake mix.
NO need for two bowls to combine wet and dry separately, just throw it all in and go.
Cake mix cookies
- Cake mix
- Melted butter
- vegetable oil could be substituted but butter is better
- We added peanut butter to these
- Could add peanut butter chips as well if you wanted for peanut butter cake mix cookies
- Large bowl
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non stick spray
- Cooling rack is handy to have
Kids love these because they can add just about anything. Put a scoop of ice cream in the middle for ice cream sandwiches too!
Biggest tip when baking cookies
DO NOT overbake them!! 8 minutes is the right bake time almost always, as long as the scoops are with a medium cookie scoop.
- The edges should be browned and stiffening up.
- In the very middle it will appear to be a bit wet.
- Take them out at this time and leave them on the cookie sheet!
- Allow them to cool completely and this will create a fall apart soft cookie, even the next day.
Time needed: 8 minutes.
Cookies made with cake mix
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
In a bowl mix cake mix with eggs, melted butter and peanut butter if you’re adding that. Gently fold in any chips if you want those too.
Then scoop out dough with small cookie scoop and roll in a bowl full of sugar. Place on baking sheet with parchment paper and set into oven on middle rack.
Bake for 8 -10 minutes just until the outsides are lightly browned and are starting to stiffen up. Middle will still appear just a tad wet is the way we like it (so they remain chewy – we stick to 8 min.)
Take out, set pan on cooling rack and do not remove cookies until they’ve cooled so they can continue to stiffen up on the tray.
How do you keep cookies from drying out?
Follow my suggestions when it comes to under-baking them a bit in the oven. You don’t want the middle to become stiff or else when they cool off they will be hard and crunchy.
- Remove tray when outside edges are barely brown.
- Very middle will appear a bit wet but that is okay, it will become perfect when they are cooled my friend.
- Do not remove from baking sheet until they are room temperature.
How should soft cookies be stored?
If you do happen to have leftovers make sure they are put into an airtight container. Air will dry them out. Keep them on your countertop instead of the refrigerator, that will keep them tender too.
Some people like to go a step further and put a small piece of bread in between each one when they’re stacked. The moisture in the bread will keep them soft longer.
Want another fun idea? Make cake mix gingerbread cookies!
What can I do with dry cookies?
Let’s say you don’t follow my suggestions, boooo. Now they’re crispy and not soft like you wanted, now you’re going to start over. Don’t throw the others away though! Crush them and sprinkle them over ice cream or yogurt!
Looking for more easy recipe ideas that take under 20 minutes to make?
- We have another peanut butter oatmeal cookies recipe that we love too. Super moist every time and great with chocolate chips inside too.
- These chocolate chip air fryer cookies have been a fun treat to make. Small batches for those late night cravings. 😉
- Pumpkin cookies with cake mix are great too.
- Our easy dump peach cobbler uses cake mix in it too. Great year round but especially during the summertime.
Printable cookie recipe is below. Put it into your recipe box for later or come back again again. We love “seeing you” so don’t go away, we have a lot more to share with you every day.
Cookies Made with Cake Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a bowl mix cake mix with eggs, melted butter and peanut butter if you're adding that.
- Then scoop out dough with small cookie scoop and roll in a bowl full of sugar. Place on baking sheet with parchment paper on top or lightly sprayed with non stick spray.
- Bake for 8 -10 minutes just until the outsides are lightly browned and are starting to stiffen up. Middle will still appear just a tad wet is the way we like it (so they remain chewy – we stick to 8 min.)
- Take out, set pan on cooling rack and do not remove cookies until they've cooled so they can continue to stiffen up on the tray.
And that is how you make cookies from boxed cake mix! So easy and versatile, you can make any flavor combination you want. We even made strawberry cake mix cookies once.