Best pumpkin cookies with cake mix are here! Just 5 ingredients necessary, and takes only 5 minutes to prep. Use yellow or spice cake mix and chocolate chips for the ultimate YUM!
These easy pumpkin cookies with cake mix are great. Moist and chewy, if you are looking for a simple Fall dessert this might become your new favorite treat. One of our favorite boxed cake mix recipes. (affiliate links present)
We have made cookies made with cake mix before. Boy are they good and just so easy when you are baking with kids.
- Last time we added peanut butter for that type of treat.
- This weekend we decided to make them with our favorite October flavor.
Use whatever type of boxed mix you have in the cupboard, but yellow or spice cake mix are best.
Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies with cake mix
If I did have a selection of every kind of variety, I would choose spice cake. It will create more Fall flavors overall. It isn’t always easy to find this type year round though, so yellow is a good alternative.
Spice Cake Mix Pumpkin Cookies
- Cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Can of pumpkin
- or use our homemade pumpkin puree recipe
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Semi sweet mini chocolate chips are a great add in, but optional
- could add dried cranberries instead like we did in our moist pumpkin bread recipe, or white chocolate chips
- Vanilla or cream cheese frosting could be spread on top, but optional
Baking sheet with parchment paper and a large bowl will be needed to make these.
Here are a few questions you might have before you get going on these:
How do I thicken a cake mix for cookies?
An egg does the trick. You could add a box of pudding mix too if you wanted. The biggest difference is the amount of liquid added is much less.
Of course you can make a small batch of cupcakes with it, we have made the best mug cake too before. Add peanut butter and make a batch of cake mix brownies some time too!
We have even made 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins that are out of this world.
Unlike completely homemade cookies, there is no need for two bowls. You can make this pumpkin cookie recipe in less than 15 minutes flat really.
Since all of the dry ingredients are already combined in the box, you just have to add all of the wet to it.
Throw the batter together, preheat the oven, spoon it on to a baking mat and bake!!
I like small/medium sized scoops with an 8 minute baking time. The key is to undercook them a bit and allow them to cool on the sheet.
Time needed: 10 minutes.
Pumpkin Cake Mix Cookies
First preheat oven to 350 degrees F
In a bowl combine cake mix pumpkin, egg and oil. Mix until smooth.
Fold in pumpkin pie spice and chocolate chips and/or chopped nuts gently.
Lightly spray baking sheet with non stick spray, or line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper on top.
Scoop a heaping tbsp. of batter up with a spoon and put on cookie sheet. Leave space in between for them to spread out a bit.
Bake for 8-12 minutes depending on how large they are.
- How to keep cookies moist
Take out once edges are lightly browned and have firmed up. To create really moist cookies, take out when middle still looks a little bit wet.
Keep on cookie sheet, on top of a cooling rack, until completely cool before removing.
If you’re looking for a new family favorite pumpkin dessert recipe that takes only about 20 minutes total, these are it. If you really love them then make a double batch and store the other half! I love doing that.
What is the best way to store cookies to keep them fresh?
It is always best to keep cookies moist by placing them into a freezer bag with all of the air removed. Some like to go a step further and put a small piece of bread inside as well. The moisture from the bread will help more.
How long will pumpkin cookies last?
If stored on the countertop properly they will be find for up to 3 days. If not consumed by then it is best to store them instead. They will stay moist longer that way. Wrap them in plastic wrap, then in aluminum foil.
Pumpkin cookies with cake mix
Yes these are perfect for Halloween and/or Thanksgiving, but we have another cake mix cookie for Christmas time!! Wanna’ try those too? They’re crinkle cookies and can be made in any colors you like really.
- Our Halloween haystacks don’t require any baking at all so the kids can help you make them. Looking like mummys they’re perfect for any get together.
- Our chocolate chip air fryer cookies are super fun to make together too! You can cook any kind (even a pizookie) in it really, these are just our favorite.
- If you’re having a gathering, print out our Halloween bingo or Thanksgiving word search sheets.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
You can print recipe below and keep it inside your recipe box. OR just come back and “see us” when you want to make another batch. They’re quick and easy and now you can enjoy your favorite Fall flavors all year long!
If you add something else, other than what we suggested inside, let us know! We’d love to try your combination of add ins too sometime.
Pumpkin Cookies with Cake Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a bowl combine cake mix pumpkin, egg and oil. Mix until smooth.
- Fold in pumpkin pie spice and chocolate chips gently.
- Lightly spray baking sheet with non stick spray, or lay a piece of parchment paper on top.
- Scoop a heaping tbsp. of batter up with a spoon and put on cookie sheet. Leave space in between for them to spread out a bit.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes depending on how large they are. Take out once edges are lightly browned and have firmed up. To create moist cookies, take out when middle still looks a little bit wet. Keep on cookie sheet until completely cool before removing.