Homemade brownie mix tastes just like a copycat Duncan Hines brownie mix or Pillsbury but for a fraction of the price. Just 30 cents per batch is it. Then make as air fryer brownies, bake in the oven or use your pressure cooker!
Are you determined to save more money this calendar year? Groceries are a big expense of ours so every penny counts. Homemade brownie mix means you don’t have to cut out your quick easy dessert recipes completely. Here’s how simple they are to make. (affiliate links present)
Brownie Homemade Mix
If you have only bought Ghirardelli brownies boxed mix at the store but wondered how much it really would cost to make up your own mix, we have the answer. The biggest differences between the varieties you find on the shelves really are the mix ins, and the type of cocoa added.
Some may have crushed walnuts inside, mini chocolate chips or deep dark chocolate from the cocoa powder. Making it yourself means you can choose whichever you like and make it in large quantities. If you are totally into batch cooking this is right up your alley.
Homemade Brownie Mix with Cocoa Powder
You don’t just have to make a square pan full of these either, we use this to make our brownie crinkle cookies too. OMG they are so good.
Copycat Duncan Hines Brownie Mix
This batch of brownies tastes very close to the DH or Pillsbury brownie mix I buy often. Recently I did discover a dark chocolate version and fell in love. I have tried to go deeper for dessert because it is supposed to be a better choice and I love the stronger flavors too.
For the basic mix you only need 5 ingredients. Then when you are ready you will add the perishable ingredients in order for the batter to come to life and be ready for baking. You’ll need:
- All purpose flour
- White sugar
- A bit of salt
- Cocoa powder
- here is a dark version like I talked about
- Baking powder
Bulk Brownie Mix Recipe
If you are going to make a bunch of these so they are ready for y’all to make in the future you’ll want some Ziploc baggies as well. I do the same thing when making homemade cake mix. Just spend an hour one day and you’ll be set for the year really. Just do one at a time in a large bowl. Pour dry ingredients into bags or mason jars.
The amounts listed below make one pan of brownies. I do not like using a 9 x 13 pan because I think they come out too thin. If you double the recipe I would use that size though, but it would take longer to bake. Then here’s what you add when you’re ready for baking…
Brownie Mix Instructions
Whether you are dumping an already made homemade brownie mix bag or you just threw it together right now the following items are needed to make it wet. First get out a 8×8″ pan and spray it lightly with non stick spray. You could lay a piece of parchment paper inside as well.
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Then you’re just going to combine as you normally would if you poured it out of a box and were reading the back. Use some melted butter or coconut oil spray for the inside of the pan so the chocolate brownies won’t stick and get all icky. OR you can double the batch and make a tray of two bite brownies like these.
How to Make Box Brownies Better
Well these aren’t out of a box, rather a bag, but mimic store bought so it’s the same thing. You know what I mean. There are actually a lot of things you can do with this favorite treat. Whether you want to add ingredients into the mix or on top when they’re done, here are a few favorite ideas;
- Crushed nuts are a given
- You could add mini chocolate chips
- or peanut butter chips
- white chocolate chips are good too
- Add sprinkles to the top of the batter before baking
- Spoon cherry pie filling on the top after they are cooled
Or you can make the dry mix and then follow our cherry brownies recipe to make mini finger food YUMs.
How to Bake the Best Brownies
I am VERY particular about this dessert, because they’re my favorite. Do NOT overbake them so they are dry, they should be ooey gooey y’all. Even when I make Instant Pot brownies I want them a bit underdone so they are super moist and decadent, almost like flourless cake.
- Preheat oven before adding pan
- Use a non stick spray or parchment so they slide out easily
- Bake until the edges are cracking and firming up but the middle is soft.
- use a toothpick in the center to test
- you want it to come out with wet crumbs attached
- if it is liquid when lifted out add 2 more minutes, then check again until wet crumbs are present
- use a toothpick in the center to test
- Keep in the pan and on a cooling rack until cool completely (or at least 15 minutes) before slicing
Brownie Mix Hacks
Remember that if you use a larger pan your creation will be thinner and not as wet and gooey, that is why I always use a square pan instead of a rectangle. I want it really wet but now raw, it is a fine balance but when you get it you’ll know what I mean.
Homemade Brownie Mix in a Jar
Once you have your sugar cocoa powder mix ready to throw together with all the things, you can jump to recipe or read real quick how this is done by us on a regular basis.
- Get out your ready made baggie full of mix or use immediately with the following ingredients to make batter:
- add 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Pour prepared batter into a pan lightly sprayed with non stick spray and bake for 20-22 minutes in a 8×8″ or 9×9″ pan until the edges have stiffened and the middle is still tender but not liquid.
- Use a toothpick in the center
- if there is liquid batter still on it, add 2 more minutes and test again
- but if it comes out with wet crumbs attached it is perfect and ready to remove and cool
- Remove pan and set on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes to continue to firm up before slicing
Cookie Brownie Mix
You can totally make cookies with brownie mix and they are beyond great too. The biggest difference is to make the batter thicker so they don’t smear and ooze out on the baking sheet.
Now you could go the opposite directions too and make brownies out of cake mix. LOL. I know, anything is possible really when you are baking all the things good after dinnertime.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Homemade Brownie Mix
- Mix the 5 ingredients together and store in a baggie or use immediately with the following ingredients to make batter: add 2 eggs, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, Pour prepared batter into a 8×8 pan lightly sprayed with non stick spray and bake for 21 min for a 8×8" or 9×9" pan until the edges have stiffened and the middle is still tender but not liquid.
- Use a toothpick in the center, if there is liquid on it, add 2 more minutes and test again. If it comes out with wet crumbs attached it is perfect.
- Remove pan and set on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes to continue to firm up before slicing.