This chocolate cherry dump cake only requires 3 ingredients and it is the moistest cake packed with sweet cherries you will ever make. Perfect dessert.
This chocolate cherry dump cake is now on the top of our list of favorites. With just 3 ingredients it is a throw it together and bake kind of dessert your whole family will love. Oh how we love easy dump cake recipes here on The Typical Mom. (originally published 12/18, affiliate links present)
- Last year we made cherry brownies that are a bit similar to our cherry Devils food cake but not quite as fluffy. 😉
- Both are just amazing…you can’t go wrong with either one really.
They both only require 3 ingredients which is great. Super handy especially when company comes over unexpectedly, or you just need a chocolate fix fast!
If you’re unfamiliar with dump cakes they are just that, dump a few ingredients in a bowl, stir, throw it in a pan and bake!
You wouldn’t think that NOT following directions on the cake box would turn out so well but I’m convinced that mixing just about anything with a can of pie filling = a yum success of sorts. 😉
Chocolate dump cake
- Mix in your can of cherry pie filling last
- Use a spatula and very gently fold them in so the cherries don’t totally break apart
- Do NOT over bake your cherry chocolate cake
- Take out immediately when the middle of the cake springs back when you gently touch the center.
Use a 13×9 pan sprayed with a bit of non stick spray and you’re set to throw it into the oven.
Of course it is plenty sweet enough served alone but if you want to really want to go all out you can top it with a dollop of whipped cream or a small scoop of vanilla ice cream too….OH MY.
Chocolate cherry dump cake
- Box of chocolate cake mix – I like this one
- Moist Betty Crocker dry cake mix is great
- Use any flavor, black forest is great too
- Yellow cake mix can be used for a totally different flavor
- Can of cherry pie filling
- Mini chocolate chips – optional if you want MORE chocolate
- Baking dish – we used 9×13″ pan
If you love chocolate you’re going to go crazy over this chocolate cherry dump cake recipe for sure.
- Allow it to cool and set up but served warm it is great. Add a scoop of ice cream on top and WOWy!
Dump cake recipes
- Dump peach cobbler has been a hit for years.
- Cherry pineapple dump cake is shown below and oh so good.
- Pumpkin angel food cake isn’t just for Fall!
- Our Coca Cola chocolate cake is pretty amazing if you’re a chocoholic like I am too.
- Our cherry pie dump cake is amazing with only 3 ingredients too. It uses melted butter instead of eggs in case you need an egg free option.
You need to add enough liquid to moisten the dry cake mix. Adding an egg or two will create a fluffier texture too. Some are layered with butter while others like this chocolate dump cake are mixed together.
No, you need some sort of sauce or liquid to turn mix into a thick batter. You can add chocolate chips into the mix before baking for sure like we did here, and with our 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins.
Another great add in with cake mix recipes is dried cranberries and/or chopped nuts.
You can certainly leave it in the pan until you’re ready to eat it on the countertop for a few hours. If you have leftovers after serving, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the fridge.
They say Duncan Hines tops the list. I have used many brands over the years and I can’t say there is a whole lot of difference between them other than the price. I tend to grab whatever is on sale really.
I have only made homemade apple pie filling which you could use instead. If you wanted to make your own just add: 2/3 c sugar, 1/4 c cornstarch, 1/4 tsp salt, 1.5 c water + 2 Tbsp. lemon juice.
Bring to a boil, then add 4 c fresh tart cherries, pitted. Cook for a few more minutes, then allow to cool.
Here’s the printable recipe to follow that includes nutritional information, saturated fat and other info below. Keep it on hand to make again or just come back to The Typical Mom blog to find the instructions again!
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
Mix together cake mix and your eggs so batter is smooth. Add cherry pie filling to cake mix batter and use a spatula to gently mix it together. Fold in chocolate chips if desired too.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray non stick spray into a 13×9 cake pan and pour batter in, evenly distribute across pan so it is the same thickness across.
Bake for 30 minutes or until middle springs back when touched gently in the center of the cake. Allow to cool if you want slices to cut smoothly and not break apart.
Serve with vanilla ice cream on top or as is.
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- Mix together cake mix and your eggs so batter is smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add cherry pie filling to cake mix batter and use a spatula to gently mix it together. Fold in chocolate chips if desired too.
- Spray non stick spray into a 13×9 cake pan and pour batter in, evenly distribute across pan so it is the same thickness across.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until middle springs back when touched gently in the center of the cake.
- Allow to cool if you want slices to cut smoothly and not break apart, serve with vanilla ice cream on top or as is.