This easy cherry pineapple dump cake with white cake mix or yellow turns out amazing! A fruit dessert cake mix recipe with only 4 main ingredients and you can add to it like coconut and nuts too.
This cake mix cherry pineapple dump cake recipe is our latest creation and boy was it delicious! I was lucky enough to find pineapple cake mix and started thinking from there. I have been making a lot of easy dump cake recipes lately just because they’re so easy and all 5 of us love them.(originally published 9/18, affiliate links present)
Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake with White Cake Mix
You really can use any flavor of cake mix you like, that is up to you. White will really let the other colors and ingredients you can see shine though just so you know. We have used several and they are all great. Cherry pie filling was a great pairing but if you prefer blueberries you could easily make that switch. This is what I used.
I didn’t have a can of crushed pineapple (which is what I would typically use). So I used these pineapple slices and just cut them into smaller tidbits right in the can, that worked just fine. That is what I mean when I say that dump cakes are so versatile! Seriously….use what is in your cupboard.
Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake Recipe
If you love cake mix hacks like we do this is going to be a real big hit. Not only is it easy to throw together but there are hundreds of possibilities. Use different mixes, diced fruit and/or pie filling flavors.
- 9×13 baking pan
- Can of cherry pie fruit filling
- 20 oz.
- Can of pineapple – tidbits were great
- crushed can be used too
- Box of cake mix
- Coconut – optional for the top of the cake
- Nuts – optional, we used honey roasted chopped pecans
Almost as easy as our 3 ingredient dump cake but with a few extras!
Cherry Pineapple Dessert
There are many methods of making a dump cake and I have used them all, you can:
- Use egg instead of melted butter to make it rise more – like in this cherry pie filling dump cake recipe
- Layer the dry cake mix ingredients and not mix – like I did with this cherry pineapple dump cake recipe
- Mix ingredients and then bake – like when I made blueberry pie filling dump cake cupcakes
- Chocolate cherry dump cake uses cherry pie filling like this one does
It really depends on your preference and what you’re used to I guess but for this one I thought layering worked well. Many people put the cake mix on the top with just the butter drizzled on top and any small toppings you want to add but I really don’t like any dry mix left over.
I sandwich the cake mix in between the pie filling and the can of pineapple and it works out really well. No dry mix left, though it has a tendency to not rise as much because of the weight of the pineapple….BUT…. Let me tell you this is probably one of our favorite easy dump cake recipes!
Cake Mix Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake
Like I said you could use blueberry pie filling instead of cherry with this one, and coconut on top is optional. If you can’t find pineapple cake mix you can order it online here or use a box of yellow or white.
- Use pineapple tidbits for a chunkier version like you see here (I prefer this). Or crushed pineapple in a can works well too but has a different texture entirely.
I wouldn’t use pineapple chunks because they’re going to be quite heavy on top. Though if all you have is a can of slices like I did then just cut it right in the can into tidbits using a knife going around the entire thing.
You’re going to want to melt your stick of butter and preheat oven to 350 degrees. I do this first using the microwave for about 30 seconds, or slice the butter for 20 seconds. Then bake and enjoy right out of the oven if you want! Just scoop it out because it isn’t supposed to come out in slices.
Does dump cake have to be refrigerated?
- If you have some left once you’ve served it then yes I would refrigerate the leftovers.
- I enjoy it warm so I don’t want it cold initially.
Once you’ve tried this bit of heaven, try these other dump cakes too:
- Pineapple angel food cake recipe is 2 ingredient goodness
- Gingerbread dump cake is great during the holidays
- Pressure cooker chocolate lava cake and Instant Pot dump cake are great if you have one of these multi cookers
- Upside down cherry pie is something we accidentally made but it was so good we thought we’d share the recipe
- Pumpkin pie dump cake is our favorite fall treat
Here’s the printable cherry pineapple dump cake recipe and video so you can get started!
Do you need to refrigerate dump cake?
People generally prefer that their dump cake is served warm from the oven. Some like it after it’s been a bit chilled after refrigeration.
- If you want to serve it cooled, let it cool off from the actual baking first. Then cover it with either cling wrap or aluminum foil. Place it into the refrigerator until serving that way.
How do you reheat dump cake?
The best way to reheat dump cake is to microwave it. If you have an entire peach dump cake or other version to reheat, do it in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350°F or until warm. Again, serve it with whipped cream or ice cream and it’s like new again
For more goodness, try our cherry bread recipe too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake with White Cake Mix
- 1 9×13 pan
- In a 13×9 pan dump your can of pie filling on the bottom and spread out evenly, we used cherry. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle your cake mix on top of that evenly, we used pineapple cake mix but if you can’t find that yellow or white would be just fine.
- Pour your can of crushed or pineapple tidbits on top of that evenly, include the juice.
- Melt your stick of butter and pour that evenly on top of that.
- Sprinkle your sweetened shredded coconut over that, then sprinkle with nuts. We used crushed honey roasted pecans.
- Put into your oven at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until the middle of your pineapple dump cake is lightly browned and looks like it is stiffening up.
- Allow to cool a bit and then scoop out, could put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!