If you’re ready for Fall flavors you’ve got to try this easy pumpkin pie dump cake that needs just 5 basic ingredients! Topped with ice cream it’s heaven!
Pumpkin pie dump cake, need I say anything else??!! My two favorite things. Easy dessert paired with anything pumpkin is heaven to me. Now on the list as one of our favorite easy dump cake recipes! (originally published 6/18, affiliate links present)
Once it hits about August I am ready for all things pumpkin!! No joke. I have made many dump cakes in my day but this one is definitely top of the list.
- Topped with ice cream or hey….have it for breakfast when the holidays come!
It literally takes 5 minutes to throw together and you can enjoy it straight out of the oven or throughout the day if you’re having a brunch and want a variety of treats and foods laid out for everyone to enjoy and snack on.
Pumpkin dump cake
It depends on what flavors you use but in general they are more dense and not “fluffy” like traditional cakes. Definitely sweet with some sort of pie filling, cake mix and usually an egg and/or butter.
If you have leftovers of this I would just keep it wrapped on the counter to enjoy the next day. For our pumpkin pudding cake I do refrigerate it, it’s great cold for breakfast tomorrow. 😉
LOTS of things! We love zucchini pumpkin muffins in addition to this pumpkin dump cake recipe here.
If you haven’t made a dessert like this it is true to form, dump it in and pop it in the oven for perfection.
- I’ve made them in a variety of ways including an Instant Pot dump cake as well as blueberry pie filling dump cake cupcakes that were fun and finger size!
Like I said, pumpkin is my thing and I can’t believe it took me this long to make this version but it’s here! You can opt to leave off the nuts if you have allergies or don’t like them, either way it is yummy.
Top with some whipped topping or vanilla ice cream and you won’t need much because it is rich.
Pumpkin pie dump cake recipe
- Large can of pumpkin puree
- or make Instant Pot pumpkin fresh and use that
- Cake mix – best for this one is spice cake
- Half and half
- Brown sugar
- Nuts are optional
- Large bowl
I made this in a 13×9″ glass baking dish which works well and if you are serving it straight to the table for a get together it looks nice and you can see the layers through the pan which is a nice look…plus it comes with a lid.
Basic steps to make pumpkin dump cake
First you’re going to preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Now get out a medium bowl and whisk together your pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, eggs, half and half, and brown sugar so this pumpkin mixture becomes smooth.
- Spray your dish with cooking spray so there’s an easier cleanup once you’re done.
- Pour your pumpkin pie filling batter into your dish.
Make sure it is spread out evenly so the thickness is the same all the way across the pan.
- Then sprinkle your spice cake mix on top evenly. It is important that your dry cake mix lumps are smoothed out and it’s the same thickness all the way across.
- Pour your melted butter across the top and put into your oven, add 1/2 cup of nuts now if desired.
- In 50-55 minutes you’ll have the best Fall dessert ever. Take out when top is golden brown like you see here.
Serve as is or with ice cream or whipped cream on top.
Try it out yourself and let us know what you think! Then try a few of our other pumpkin recipe ideas:
- Pumpkin angel food cake is so good with just 2 ingredients
- and pumpkin pudding cake is probably the moistest cake you’ll ever try
- Gingerbread dump cake serves up perfectly at Christmas time
- Dump peach cobbler uses pie filling which makes it easy to throw together
- Our pumpkin pie sheet cake is amazing
- Easy pumpkin apple bread is our favorite breakfast during Fall
If you added anything else that turned out yummy leave us a note below.
Here is the printable recipe as well.
Pumpkin Pie Dump Cake
- Mix together your pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, eggs, half and half and brown sugar well so there are no clumps.
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with non stick spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour this pumpkin mixture into your dish.
- Sprinkle your cake mix evenly across this mix and sprinkle your nuts on top.
- Melt your butter and drizzle it over the top.
- Bake for approx 50-55 minutes or until it is golden brown on top.
- Scoop out and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on the top!