Pumpkin pie sheet cake is easy to make and a great Fall dessert when you’re feeding more than just your family. Great party or brunch item, let me tell you that pumpkin pie in a sheet pan is the bomb I tell you!
Pumpkin pie in 9×13 pan is a quick way to make this favorite Fall dessert for a crowd. With a cake mix crust and a simple pie filling on top, it may replace the “old fashioned” version forever. (affiliate links present, originally published 10/21)
Pumpkin Pie in a Sheet Pan
This is my favorite dessert. I really don’t care traditional crust, this is much sweeter and better! Have you ever thought of making a cake mix pie crust? If not you’re in for a treat.
- You’ll want two bowls and a 9×13″ pan to prepare this.
- Non stick spray helps to remove each piece once it is done too.
- Whipped cream is a great add on when serving.
I prefer pumpkin pie to be cold, but cooled and slightly warm is wonderful too. If you have a bunch of guests over for the holidays this is the way to go.
Pumpkin Pie in a 9 by 13 Pan
You will literally get the same flavors as if it were in a traditional round pie plate. Best part though is that you can make it larger, with more filling and not so much crust than if you made two of them. This sugar cookie pie crust is way better too.
Pumpkin Pie in 9×13 Pan
Now if you wanted to make it even larger you could use a sheet pan with high sides and could double everything. Timing wouldn’t be a lot longer since the filling wouldn’t be quite as thick.
How do you make pumpkin pie from scratch?
Here are a few questions you might have before you get going: You’ll need a can of puree, eggs and a few other ingredients. For a quick semi-homemade version follow this sheet pan pumpkin pie recipe here.
If you want to make homemade pumpkin puree it’s easy in a pressure cooker. Ideally the cucurbita variety is the sweetest. If you can’t find that you can always blend in some sugar.
Yes. That is why you really need to let it sit and cool before slicing. Many times the center looks a bit wet but not to worry.
Once it sits it will firm up as you imagine it should.
How do you know my pumpkin pie is done?
If a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, take it out. If you giggle the pan gently too and the center remains firm then it is done and ready to cool. This is what the center filling mixture looks like once it is blended together.
Cake mix pie crust
Then you’d want to move on to the next step. It is nice and easy since the box has most of the ingredients you’ll need, minus the melted butter and egg. It will come out like cookie batter, nice and thick. Spread that out.
No need to precook this, it will all get done once you layer on the next level. This is what you’re going to need to make this 3 ingredient pie crust (and then the filling).
- Cake mix
- Pumpkin puree
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Could add pumpkin pie spice too
- Large bowl
- Cooking spray for 9×13″ baking sheet with larger side lip like this one
If you have a jelly roll pan that is 10×15 that would work fine as well.
Pumpkin sheet cake
It is important to cool completely in order to slice into squares and serve. If you don’t it will likely break apart and taste great, but not look pretty. Ok so technically this is a 1/2 sheet cake if you are looking at the specific size of the pan, but it’s usually plenty big for most family get togethers.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 pan with high sides with non stick spray. In a bowl mix cake mix, 1 stick melted butter and 1 egg.
- This will make a thick dough, this will be your base or crust. Dump into pan and use hands to press on to bottom so there is an even thick layer across the bottom.
- In another bowl mix your pumpkin pie filling. Add room temperature cream cheese, pumpkin and vanilla. Beat on low until smooth. Add in 3 eggs and 1 stick of melted butter. Beat again until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and spices, beat in to incorporate again. Pour the filling on to the crust in your pan, spread out evenly.
- Now bake for 40-50 minutes until pumpkin layer is set and center is no longer wet and gooey.
Remove from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely. If you want to serve it cold, wait until room temp and put plastic wrap on top of pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Slice into squares and put whipped cream on top when served. You can make air fryer pumpkin pie too if you have a bunch of friends coming over.
If you and/or your guests love pumpkin pie you’re going to go bananas over this creation!! I kid you not I don’t use traditional pie crust ever, unless it’s for a savory dish, because this version is so much better!
Of course you can top with whatever you want, or nothing. A dollop of whipped cream or Cool Whip is great though. I am guilty of eating leftovers for breakfast. 😉
Can Dogs Have Pumpkin Pie?
Put simply no you should not give your puppy this. Yes it is true that actual pumpkin puree that is pure without any additives is good for their bellies, mixed with other ingredients is different.
Sheet Pan Pumpkin Pie
Looking for more easy pumpkin desserts?
- Try our 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins or pumpkin zucchini muffins next.
- Of course our pumpkin pie dump cake tops our YUM list too.
- If you make fresh puree, make air fryer pumpkin seeds after that.
- Love our out of the box cake mix recipe for the crust? Try cake mix pumpkin cookies too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Pumpkin Pie Sheet Cake
- 1 9×13 pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 pan with high sides with non stick spray.
- In a bowl mix cake mix, 1 stick melted butter and 1 egg. Will make a thick dough, this will be your base or crust.
- Dump into pan and use hands to press on to bottom so there is an even thick layer across the bottom.
- In another bowl mix pumpkin, room temperature cream cheese and vanilla. Beat on low until smooth. Add in 3 eggs and 1 stick of melted butter. Beat again until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and spices, beat in to incorporate again. Pour on to the crust in your pan, spread out evenly.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until pumpkin layer is set and center is no longer wet and gooey.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely. If you want to serve it cold, wait until room temp and put plastic wrap on top of pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Slice into squares and put whipped cream on top when served.