Air fryer pumpkin seeds are easy to make and SO much better than store bought! If you’re ready to make crispy homemade pumpkin seeds at home, this is how!
Ready to try air fryer pumpkin seeds this Fall?? We were and they were such a tasty healthy snack! They’re gluten free too! With just a few ingredients you too can make this homemade air fryer recipe. Don’t throw those seeds away this year, try this! (participant in Amazon program, affiliate links present)
October means all things pumpkin right??!! 😉
Let’s start with a bit of information shall we:
- We’ve made these in our Cosori (seen here) and Ninja Foodi
- You can grab a recipe book here. ?
- Pick up MY cookbook too!
- You’ll find more air fryer recipes here too.
- Join my Ninja EASY Recipes Facebook group for more recipes.
Wondering how do you clean and roast pumpkin seeds?
The first thing you need to do is carve a pumpkin and prepare the seeds.
- We share how to clean pumpkin seeds well here. It is important to follow these steps so they get nice and crispy once they’re cooked.
I will tell you that separating the pumpkin pulp from the seeds is a little time intensive. So why bother doing this when you can buy a bag of salted pumpkin seeds at the store?? I will tell you the two are NOTHING alike.
Store bought seeds are VERY HIGH in sodium and not as crispy as you’ll get when air frying pumpkin seeds yourself.
- Homemade is always best, you have to admit that. Invest just a little time and you too will agree with me.
Now on to our easy air fryer pumpkin seeds recipe!
This is what you will need to prepare them:
- A fresh pumpkin
- or a few if you want to make a larger batch
- each one will yield about 1 cup of seeds
- larger pumpkins don’t necessarily yield more, I prefer medium sizes
- Carving knife
- Paper towels to dry seeds
- Butter or olive oil
- Seasoned salt
- Ninja Foodi or other electric air fryer
- we’ve used our Ninja Foodi Grill machine too
I will say that we make them lightly salted. If you prefer heavily seasoned / salted seeds then add more salt.
Which is better roasted or raw pumpkin seeds?
- Eating them raw would never be something I’d do. Toasted, roasted, or air fried pumpkin seeds are best if you ask me.
Can you eat pumpkin seeds in the shell?
- YES, that’s the best way! I have tried them with the shell off and they are quite bland as all the seasonings are on the outside. Just eat them whole after you crisp them up.
Once your seeds are prepared it is best to preheat your air fryer at 360 degrees for about 4 minutes. That will ensure your air fryer basket will be nice and hot when you add them. This will help get them really crispy!
Can you double or triple this recipe?
Yes!! Just make sure you only add about 1 cup at a time so they are in one layer and not overlapping much. This will ensure the hot air can circulate properly and they will become quite crispy.
Steps to follow:
- Put cleaned and dried seeds in a bowl with olive oil or butter and seasoned salt, stir.
- Preheat your air fryer for 4 minutes at 360 or 350 degrees (some set differently, we used 360)
- Pour seeds into basket and set for 10 to 15 minutes shaking the basket after 5 minutes.
- Cook for 5 more minutes and check.
- If they’re crispy enough to your liking remove and enjoy, if not toss the seeds and allow to cook a few more min.
- Then allow to cool and enjoy!
If you are making multiple batches this process could take up to 35 minutes shaking every 5 minutes with every batch.
Looking for more pumpkin recipes?
- Pumpkin zucchini muffins are WILDLY popular.
- Our pumpkin apple bread is pretty great.
- Use our pressure cooker pumpkin recipe to make homemade puree and use for lots of desserts.
- Or make homemade pumpkin pie.
Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds
- Remove pumpkin seeds from pumpkin and wash off. Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees for 4 minutes.
- Pour rinsed seeds on a few paper towels and press down to remove excess water and dry seeds off.
- Melt butter and pour into bowl with pumpkin seeds (olive oil can be used), sprinkle seasoned salt on top too and stir together.
- Pour coated seeds into air fryer, sprinkle a bit of additional seasoned salt on top of them and close lid/drawer.
- Cook at 360 degrees for 10 minutes total, shaking basket after 5 minutes.
- Resalt if desired and enjoy!