This easy pumpkin pudding cake recipe tastes like pumpkin pie but way better! Just 6 ingredients to dump in and bake to moist perfection. Best Fall dessert!
Have you ever made a pudding cake before? Since it’s Fall I am all about this easy pumpkin pudding cake! It is really moist like a pumpkin pie with a similar flavor but more of a cake texture and a lot easier to bake if you ask me. Now on the list as one of our favorite easy dump cake recipes! (originally published 8/18, affiliate links present)
Pumpkin pudding cake
With just 6 ingredients total pumpkin pudding cake is really easy to throw together for dessert or to take to a potluck!
Alone is fabulous but topped with a bit of vanilla ice cream and seriously this is the most amazing pumpkin recipe you’ll make this season, well other than my caramel pumpkin monkey bread of course. 😉
See how moist it is! I adapted my recipe from this one that was cooked in a crockpot, but I wanted to use my oven this time. It’s a bit addictive I must tell you, but easy enough to make it year round if you’re a pumpkin fanatic like I am!
Some cook with hot water involved but this one doesn’t and I think it comes out better.
- You can always find cans of pumpkin puree in the store but I tend to stock up on a few extra cans when they’re super cheap in August or so. That way I can keep them in the cupboard for future months.
Similar to a pumpkin dump cake, this is just a matter of mixing all the ingredients together, spreading it in a cake pan, and baking it for 35 minutes.
- Just long enough to cook but still remain REALLY moist, even on the end pieces.
That is it! Ok, add vanilla ice cream to the list if you want it to be over the top delciousness to the max!
Easy pumpkin pudding cake recipe
- 1 can pumpkin
- or you can make homemade pumpkin puree in less than 20 min.
- 1 box vanilla pudding mix
- 1 box spice cake mix
- yellow cake mix + pumpkin pie spice could be used, but not as good
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (I have used milk or almond milk and it was delicious also)
- baking dish / cake pan
- Large bowl
- Scoop of ice cream / whipped cream & caramel sauce on top – optional
- Could mix 3/4 cup brown sugar and nuts together and sprinkle on top for a crumble of sorts on top of cake batter if you’d like.
After you make this and I’ve convinced you that dump cakes and anything pumpkin is addicting, you should try our pumpkin pie dump cake!
- Apple spice dump cake is great, or make 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins for a grab and go breakfast.
- Pumpkin zucchini muffins or our cake mix pumpkin blondies are great
- Homemade pumpkin butter
- and our microwave pumpkin fudge is the bomb
#1 thing to remember – Do NOT overbake it. You want it just firm enough in the middle to be done, when a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean with just a bit of goo on it. Then allow to cool in the pan to further firm up.
If you love custard too this magic custard cake is a winner and just as moist as our pumpkin pudding cake is.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
It makes it over the top incredibly moist! You know that pumpkin pie consistency, it is a bit like that but stiffer. We love doing this with all different kinds of flavors.
This recipe will show you how to make one with pumpkin and spice cake mix. Our Banana pudding cake with yellow cake mix is truly amazing too with slices of fresh fruit inside!
If you have leftovers I would cover and store in the fridge until you’re ready to eat it yes. I do not warm it back up rather I eat it cold, sometimes for breakfast even!
Time needed: 40 minutes.
Pumpkin Pudding Cake
Mix together the spice cake mix and vanilla pudding mix. Add in your melted butter, milk, heavy cream (if you don’t have heavy cream you can use milk instead) and pumpkin.
Mix well with a spoon until powder is mixed in well.
Spray non stick spray into a cake pan and spoon in your cake mixture. Spread evenly in pan.
In a preheated oven, bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes so it firms up and slices easier.
Cut into squares and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top when cake is still warm, it is delicious!
Easy Pumpkin Pudding Cake Recipe
- Mix together the spice cake mix and vanilla pudding mix.
- Add in your melted butter, milk, heavy cream (if you don’t have heavy cream you can use milk instead) and pumpkin. Mix well with a spoon until powder is mixed in well.
- Spray non stick spray into a cake pan and spoon in your cake mixture. Spread evenly in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes so it firms up and slices easier.
- Cut into squares and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top when cake is still warm, it is delicious!