4 ingredient pumpkin blondies using cake mix are the best! If you’re ready for a sweet dessert you can throw together with Fall flavors, this is it!
I love cake mix recipes!! Our newest creation was these pumpkin blondies that I just couldn’t keep my hands off of. Moist and perfect with just 4 ingredients. One of our favorite boxed cake mix recipes. (affiliate links present)
Pumpkin Blondies Recipe
- I got to thinking after I made these cake mix brownies with peanut butter that I could probably use pumpkin instead!
At the end I thought a whopping handful of white chocolate chips would be great. I was TOTALLY right on that! If you are in need of something sweet this is something quick you can throw together that everyone will love.
Yes of course you could make the batter from scratch BUT I am all about easy. That means using cake mix as the base + a few other pantry ingredients so they come out moist.
Pumpkin Blondies with Cake Mix
- I share how to make brownies out of cake mix here. It is super versatile. From strawberry to spice cake here, we love all variations.
This is literally all you need to make this version of easy pumpkin brownies.
- Cake mix
- I personally think spice cake mix is best for this one
- you could try yellow or white too
- Vegetable oil
- or make homemade pumpkin puree
- White chocolate chips
- butterscotch chips might be a good alternative
- 8×8 baking pan
- Non stick cooking spray is very helpful, or use parchment paper
If you wanted to make sort of pumpkin bars you could spread some cream cheese frosting on top once they’ve cooled. Or top with vanilla ice cream for an over the top pumpkin dessert.
What I like about this simple pumpkin recipe is that you need no real flour mixture with baking powder and baking soda. The dry mix has all of that inside already.
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Easy pumpkin blondies
- Preheat oven
To prepare, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Get a bowl out and all of your ingredients.
- Mix ingredients
Mix together your cake mix, eggs, oil and pumpkin until smooth. You could add a bit of pumpkin pie spice for bolder flavors. Then gently fold in your butterscotch chips or white chocolate chips.
Pour batter into a non stick 8×8 baking pan and smooth out so it’s the same thickness all the way across. You want it to bake evenly. Bake for 25 minutes, or 28 minutes for a more cakey texture.
Once the outer edges are lightly browned and the middle is not wet looking but still feels soft when touched lightly put it on a cooling rack. Allow brownies to cool completely before slicing.
Serve when they’re room temperature so they stay together in one piece and moist as ever.
Are brownies better hot or cold?
Well that depends on whom you ask. Yes we have eaten them right out of the oven but you need a spoon to do so. The purpose of cooling beforehand is so they stay in tact and “stiffen” up a bit.
How do you make chewy brownies not cakey?
As I stated up above, for this cake mix brownie recipe it’s all about bake time. You see to have them ooey gooey you need to under-bake them just slightly. Same goes for our cookies made with cake mix.
- That doesn’t mean they’re liquidy, it just means that the edges are much stiffer than the middle.
- Once I see that the outside is browned and the middle has lost that wet sunken look, I take them out.
- Allowing brownies to cool in the pan they were baked in allows them to continue baking.
- Figure it will take a good 20 or more minutes to reach room temperature. This whole time they’re continuing to cook.
- Baking for an additional 3-4 minutes will make them more cake like because they’ll dry out more.
No matter how you make chewy brownies, the outside corners are going to be the most done. That ONE middle piece is definitely worth fighting for! 😉
And that’s that! All the Fall flavors you love in one little square but the best part is you can make these all year long. I always grab a few cans of pumpkin at the store when they’re super cheap in Oct. and save for later.
Can brownies go bad?
If you store them in airtight freezer bags or containers they can easily last for about 3 to 4 days at room temperature. Of course if they begin to have an off smell or appearance, discard them.
Looking for more pumpkin desserts? I would start by saying our pumpkin pie dump cake might be our favorite.
- Of course if you have extra you don’t want it to go to waste, so I usually make a batch of pumpkin banana bread too.
- Pumpkin cake mix cookies are wonderful too.
- Though people rave about the zucchini pumpkin muffins I came up with so if I have some on hand I’ll opt for this.
Should I refrigerate brownies?
There is no reason to store them in the refrigerator. Instead, the best method is to vacuum seal what you have left and keep them at room temperature.
Does freezing ruin brownies?
I have never done this because with other baked goods they tend to thaw with moisture on top. To me this is a no go as far as eating leftovers that are mushy.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
- Mix together all ingredients except chocolate chips. Then fold those in at the end.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8×8 square pan with non stick spray and pour batter inside.
- Bake for 25 minutes until edges are stiffening and middle is not jiggly anymore but still soft. If you want more of a cakey blondie then bake for 28 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan in order to stiffen up but still remain soft.
- Once cooled, slice into pieces.